The Work 4-16

View as article
Staff prefers Thompson to Williams?

Glad I'm not the only one who caught that. That's very interesting. Can't say I'm exited but you can't teach size. Imo he just needs to mature before he becomes that alpha dog he could be. But what 17 yr old doesn't need to mature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement
The beauty about the possible Miami v. Alabama matchup in 2020 is that the '18 class will be Juniors at that point.

That also means either Perry, Weldon or Sitkowski will be leading the troops that game.

You pair this '18 class with a beastly '19 class, with the guidance of the seniors from '17 class, then Miami will be more than capable of beating Alabama in Cowboys Stadium.

CAN'T WAIT!!!!!

Coach Richt is def a mastermind so I wouldn't Bday surprised if Sitow RS and is unleashed in '19. Don't see him getting burn in '18.

No need to rush to take a 4th WR. If we win big this year we could get a national kid. I'm not that high on Moore, would like to see what he does his sr year.

News has been weird about Thompson. He wanted to commit some time back, then theres buzz of him loving Miami at camp. Geo says he thinks he really likes FSU or UF through it all. Then he doesn't even name us as a top team shortly after and we get the feeling the staff chose Hightower over Thompson. Now we hear the staff prefers Thompson for the last spot...

The beauty about the possible Miami v. Alabama matchup in 2020 is that the '18 class will be Juniors at that point.

That also means either Perry, Weldon or Sitkowski will be leading the troops that game.

You pair this '18 class with a beastly '19 class, with the guidance of the seniors from '17 class, then Miami will be more than capable of beating Alabama in Cowboys Stadium.

CAN'T WAIT!!!!!

Coach Richt is def a mastermind so I wouldn't Bday surprised if Sitow RS and is unleashed in '19. Don't see him getting burn in '18.

The bad part is that if kosi lives up to his hype he will go pro early. Unleash sitkowski!

Advertisement
Interesting that the staff prefers Thompson to Moore or other smaller/quicker receivers being that we already have Hightower and Wiggins in the fold. It doesn't make much sense to me but I'll defer to the pros.
It's pretty simple, Thompson is a **** good WR in the same mold of a Brandon Marshall type being a big body 6'4 215lbs+ with great playmaking ability...

We already have Harley & Thomas, plus Deejay & Mullins (although they are physically built more stocky), they're all still 5'10/5'11 guys...

Outside of Ahmmon, we don't really have a lot of size at WR, once Cager & Harris leave, whether people like it or not, you need big physical WR's in our type of Pro-set Offense.

Those little speed demons you all covet fit better in the Spread system, that's not to say they can't excel in our Offense, but the tendency is to put gifted athletes out there on the outside, makes it much easier for your QB.

Moore could very well end up in this class, but as of now he's not yet a take & he still needs to prove it on the field his Senior season.

Hightower and Wiggins are both 6'3 too in addition to njoku who is 6'5.5

Interesting that the staff prefers Thompson to Moore or other smaller/quicker receivers being that we already have Hightower and Wiggins in the fold. It doesn't make much sense to me but I'll defer to the pros.
It's pretty simple, Thompson is a **** good WR in the same mold of a Brandon Marshall type being a big body 6'4 215lbs+ with great playmaking ability...

We already have Harley & Thomas, plus Deejay & Mullins (although they are physically built more stocky), they're all still 5'10/5'11 guys...

Outside of Ahmmon, we don't really have a lot of size at WR, once Cager & Harris leave, whether people like it or not, you need big physical WR's in our type of Pro-set Offense.

Those little speed demons you all covet fit better in the Spread system, that's not to say they can't excel in our Offense, but the tendency is to put gifted athletes out there on the outside, makes it much easier for your QB.

Moore could very well end up in this class, but as of now he's not yet a take & he still needs to prove it on the field his Senior season.

Spot on.

I was a bit disappointed to when reports of him not considering Miami arose. He looks to me a big target who flashed some explosion and speed in his tape. Take a lot of snaps as a QB and still has some room to improve as an exclusive receiver. I'm a fan.

It seems as though Williams isn't coming here which is a bit disappointing as well. I have a feeling we end up with Moore as the last spot

Hightower and Wiggins are both 6'3 too in addition to njoku who is 6'5.5
No ****... Hence the emphasis on recruiting taller WR's in this class.

Calm down bruh, it ain't that serious

Advertisement
Its great and all that Miami and Alabama are in talks to play in a kickoff classic but I prefer another match up. I know of the games between Miami and Alabama in 89 and 91 for the national title. However the match up I would like to see is Miami vs USC. The Trojans are on the rise as is Miami. This the team I've wanted Miami play. If not for Butch Davis leaving in 2000 We might have had 1 or 2 match ups of Miami under Butch Davis vs USC under Pete Carrol. The schools are almost mirrior images of each other. Both are private schools. Both are located in their own fertile recruiting grounds. Both are located in year round warm weather international cities. Both send alot of players to the NFL past and present. Both have produced elite level players in college and the NFL. USC may have the longer history but it easily can be said the Miami Hurricanes of the 80's and 90's is what elevated college football and made it into a national sport instead of a regional sport.

Jeff Thomas is the closest player to hester(game breaking ability) we have had in years. What is scary is he is a more refined football player all around than him coming out of highschool(catching, route running and even on defense)

Slow down. Let the kid hit Greentree before we start comparing him to possibly the biggest game-changer in the history of the sport.

Everyone always says slow down with the comparisons but sometimes they are reasonable and I think Jeff Thomas can compare to him in speed and elusiveness.

No. If you want to compliment him for having speed and elusiveness, there are plenty of other non-HOF caliber players that would be more appropriate. You're talking about a once in a generation type talent in Hester. You guys sound like Urban Meyer telling every recruit they are the next Percy Harvin (and he wasn't even as good as Hester!). ****, I'm rooting for him to put up Hester numbers. The first time he takes one to the house I'll have a well-done steak to celebrate!

Ive seen a lot of amazing return men and the only guys that jeff thomas relates to would be hester harvin desean jackson and maybe tavon austin. This kid will be a amazing returner and i think you guys are underestimating him.

Last edited:
Slow down. Let the kid hit Greentree before we start comparing him to possibly the biggest game-changer in the history of the sport.

Everyone always says slow down with the comparisons but sometimes they are reasonable and I think Jeff Thomas can compare to him in speed and elusiveness.

Jeff is more like Desean Jackson IMO

Such a better example. Agreed.

I would agree on the talent comparison but hate it at the same time cause I think Desean is kind of a loud Bytch and a showboat. Thomas seems like a humble baller.

How can a miami fan not like loud mouths and showboats.

Spot on.
LCE and I typically see eye to eye, but how many X receivers do you need on a roster?

I'd recruit a versatile Z/slot like Moore if I think he's dynamic more than go for perceived need. I hope watching Berrios fail outside last year doesn't overly influence Richt/Brown/Dugans. Berrios' issue wasn't just size. Berrios can't separate the same way someone like Jeff Thomas or Moore might be able to because of the respect for acceleration and long speed.

I don't think there's a clear answer, but there are preferences. I don't think a WR roster needs 5+ Split Ends. I rather load up on Z guys who could also play inside. According to @HurricaneVision's pre-2016 season analysis, however, it's clear Richt historically prefers size.

Advertisement
[video=youtube;jRfs52-dTF4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRfs52-dTF4[/video]

skip to the 2 minute mark and tell me he doesn't remind you of hester at all

sure their are not many touchdowns in this but those aren't all his return highlights.

Last edited:
So far some very good news. I know this Work is mostly focused on recruiting. But I would like ot hear more about the position battles coming out of Spring Scrimmage #2 .

Sounds like Shirreffs had broken away from the pack in scrimmage 1 only to let everyone catch him with a mediocre performance in scrimmage 2.

Also, Coaches Brown and Richt have both spoken about lack of OL depth, which is disappointing. Richt said Darling needs to show him more and there's no one after the 1s he's happy with. Are Jones, Milo and Mahoney still JAGs? How's Dykstra looking?

Diaz said most broken plays came from the outside, suggesting the DBs and especially the CBs are just not cutting it. So did we overhype Jackson, or is he getting better now? Any hope at all for Henley and Mayes?

Finally, looks like Diaz is providing a teaching moment for Pinckney, and Owens and others are getting a lot of reps ahead of him. Any insights into that situation? Is Owens "back" now?

Jeff Thomas is the closest player to hester(game breaking ability) we have had in years. What is scary is he is a more refined football player all around than him coming out of highschool(catching, route running and even on defense)

No. If you want to compliment him for having speed and elusiveness, there are plenty of other non-HOF caliber players that would be more appropriate. You're talking about a once in a generation type talent in Hester. You guys sound like Urban Meyer telling every recruit they are the next Percy Harvin (and he wasn't even as good as Hester!). ****, I'm rooting for him to put up Hester numbers. The first time he takes one to the house I'll have a well-done steak to celebrate!

Ive seen a lot of amazing return men and the only guys that jeff thomas relates to would be hester harvin desean jackson and maybe tavon austin. This kid will be a amazing returner and i think you guys are underestimating him.

I need to get birdman in here for yall to put some respect on Devin Hester's name. This **** is outrageous.

Advertisement

I would agree on the talent comparison but hate it at the same time cause I think Desean is kind of a loud Bytch and a showboat. Thomas seems like a humble baller.

How can a miami fan not like loud mouths and showboats.

Very good point. I guess because he wasn't with us lol

Spot on.
LCE and I typically see eye to eye, but how many X receivers do you need on a roster?

I'd recruit a versatile Z/slot like Moore if I think he's dynamic more than go for perceived need. I hope watching Berrios fail outside last year doesn't overly influence Richt/Brown/Dugans. Berrios' issue wasn't just size. Berrios can't separate the same way someone like Jeff Thomas or Moore might be able to because of the respect for acceleration and long speed.

I don't think there's a clear answer, but there are preferences. I don't think a WR roster needs 5+ Split Ends. I rather load up on Z guys who could also play inside. According to @HurricaneVision's pre-2016 season analysis, however, it's clear Richt historically prefers size.
Conceptually I don't disagree...

But, with Thomas/Harley/Deejay & Mullins, I'd say we pretty much have that spot covered already.

Plus, with an elite talent like Pope he can do everything that E Moore can do & more, so from a need standpoint that doesn't really push him to the forefront.

If it's neck & neck, you go with the upside, so who has a higher ceiling Moore or Thompson/Austin?

I'm not saying that Moore sucks or he doesn't belong in this class, I'm saying as of right now he's not a take over a few other WR's.

If he has a big Senior season that could change things.
Yep. That's reasonable. We shall see after this upcoming season.

He compares mostly to Antonio Brown as a wide receiver and all around playmaker to me

Advertisement
Back