The Work 2-17

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
With 2014 signing day officially behind us, here is the first edition of The Work that is fully devoted to the 2015 class.

**Some have wondered whether or not Miami is recruiting Tim Irvin on offense or defense, but I’m told that the Canes believe he has a similar skillset to Lamarcus Joyner, where he can be moved around between nickel corner and safety. I personally agree with that assessment and have been saying that’s the position he should play since the first time I watched him live. Irvin is one of Golden’s absolute favorites in this class. Miami in good shape early.

**The number at running back right now is two. One of those two spots is for Jordan Cronkrite and Miami is in a very good spot with him right now. I expect an early commitment here. Like I’ve mentioned before, whatever Cronkrite does he will carry himself in a mature manner. He will not “play the game”. If he does pull the trigger, I look at him as the one who will get the ball rolling in this class. He is very well respected by his peers.

**My early guess on defensive back numbers is six just based on the depth of the class in South Florida and the fact that Miami only took one corner in this year’s class. Based on people I’ve talked to, I still see Tyrek Cole switching his commitment to Miami over the next couple months and then sticking with that the way that Artie Burns flipped from Alabama a couple years back.

**Irvin and JaQuan Johnson are two more who I believe are near locks to be committed at some point. Miami is open to letting Shawn Burgess-Becker play whatever position he wants, but I get the sense that they prefer him at safety. It will all really depend on need. Tarvarus McFadden, Rashard Causey, and Minkah Fitzpatrick from New Jersey are also being recruited.

**The other name to keep an eye on is Booker T. Washington corner Davante Davis. Miami likes him as a big corner, but needs to see a little more of him in the Spring before extending an offer. Recently offered Carlton Davis likes Miami early on and the Canes absolutely love him too. He will explode with offers over the next few months. He plays with a chip on his shoulder.

**Early indications are that it will be very tough to pull Torrance Gibson, but the good news for Miami is that there is a year until signing day. James Coley has all of his bases covered though and is not putting all of his eggs in the Gibson basket. NJ QB Brandon Wimbush will be in Miami this weekend, which is his second unofficial trip down here in less than a year. He participated in a camp last summer.

**Coley also recently offered Tennessee QB Nick Tiano. Although most people are considering Ohio State as the team to beat for Gibson (and I agree), watch for Georgia here. Mark Richt and staff have put themselves in a good position with Tarvarus McFadden after landing Sony Michel and Isaiah McKenzie last year and landing McFadden would go a long way to snagging Gibson.

**Calvin Ridley is obviously a top priority for the staff if not the top priority. The other name at receiver to keep a very close eye on is Deondre Farrier from Orlando. Miami would take him in a heartbeat if he wanted to commit right now. Farrier is a 3-star prospect on 247sports and Rivals right now. Florida is considered the team to beat right now, but Miami is on him hard. Devante Peete is another top target. Here are Farrier’s highlights –
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/o/1840091/highlights/111094375

Advertisement
Advertisement
A switch from Cole would be ******* awesome. Wow.

Johnson, Cole, Irvin, and Cronkrite would be a massive way to start this class and as you alluded to, I think that group is less likely to cause this board blood pressure problems once they commit. Well, less than some anyway.

SBB and Ridley won't be sealed until signing day IMO.

Wow. GREAT NEWS so early in the game

Getting Irvin, Jaquan, Cronkite committed early I'm sure will do wonders to help secure the rest of this class..

Pete can you give us your top 5 DB's…Your ranking no one else's

Advertisement
Advertisement
Pete you've mentioned Rashad Fenton and Damon Arnette in other post. How do these two rank in comparison to Carlton Davis and Davante Davis?

so does 2015 look like our best year in a while because it seems like it by your posts lately.

Advertisement
Great stuff, Pete. Thanks.

Excellent news for the most part, especially about Cronkrite potentially committing early and getting the ball rolling with this class. Really hoping he fills one of the two RB openings. Since it's unlikely that Walton will be able to reclassify, it'll be interesting to see which other RBs are high priorities aside from obvious names like Scarlett and Patrick. Hope the staff goes hard after Dexter Williams or gets lucky with one of the out-of-state studs we offered early.

It seems like the best case scenario realistically would be to flip Cole from FSU and receive early commitments from Cronkrite and Jaquan, which would then put us in great position for Irvin. I assume it will be a dogfight until the very end for Ridley/SBB.

Could you imagine a DB class featuring Fitzpatrick (wishful thinking), SBB, Jaquan, Irvin, Cole, and one other South Florida corner? That would be insane.

Advertisement
Back