The Work 11-13: Welcome to Crootin Season

People worrying about lb make me laugh. We go 9 deep in 2018, and that's not counting gordiniere and McCray..

The real need is at DE. The top 4 is set but we need to find 3-4 backups, especially since both Jacksons are gone after 2018.

I have a funny feeling that tyreic will move to chad Thomas' position, to go with Chatfield and Rousseau.

You don't recruit for the next season. People worried about linebacker are thinking about 2019, not 2018. Living paycheck to paycheck isn't the move in college football. You can get burned badly with that approach.

We did just fine in 2016 with 3 freshmen, and those 2019 guys are probably even BETTER talents at this stage of their careers.
We were lucky that all three were effective as true freshmen. Do you realize how unusual that is? Are you willing to risk the season that we will catch lightning in a bottle again?

And are people already discounting the 3 stud fr we got in 17?
Well...yes. They true freshmen that haven't played much. They haven't shown they're anything except...true freshmen let alone studs. Of course that doesn't mean they won't develop because they are still true freshmen but we just don't know yet.

The 2019 class won't have to come in and start right away. They'll have 4-5 veterans depending on whether both Pinckney and shaq leave early in front of them until they prove their worth.

See comments in bold.

Don't make no sense. We're not trying to catch no lightning in a bottle again. The 2019 class will have at least 4-6 players ahead of them depending on what happens with Pinckney, shaq, and gordiniere. That's the perfect scenario to bring in 4 more in 2019. We are freaking stacked 10 deep at lb with no seniors, and you all still wringing your hands over this? wtf?

Advertisement
View attachment 54139

Saw the screenshot on twitter

Please translate this. Is trenell saying he wants to decommit from lville and commit to Miami but miami doesn't want him? Or do we actually want him?

Personally, I'm fine with taking this kid as a randy russell replacement.

He's better than Randy Russell, IMHO, as he's a certified goon and more athletic than Macho Man, and I am a Macho Man fan.

I’m all for a couple of goons on the squad just in case some teams want to take it there

View attachment 54139

Saw the screenshot on twitter

Please translate this. Is trenell saying he wants to decommit from lville and commit to Miami but miami doesn't want him? Or do we actually want him?

Personally, I'm fine with taking this kid as a randy russell replacement.

He's better than Randy Russell, IMHO, as he's a certified goon and more athletic than Macho Man, and I am a Macho Man fan.

I second that Wingz, much better athlete and the polar opposite of a beta ****. If he we're a '17 or '19 guy, he'd be a plan A guy. Just happened to graduate in the most loaded DB class ever...

This.

Ill giver him that he might have gotten faster with strength training.
u,

I'm probably a bit of a Jaquan apologist, but so much is mentioned about his lack of speed and range, but I don't see it during the games. I try to get through the [MENTION=5374]HurricaneVision[/MENTION] recaps as much as I can, and I don't recall seeing much there either. Can anyone point to instances where his speed negatively impacted us?

He definitely isn't the quickest guy I've ever seen, and maybe that will get exposed in the league. But for us, I don't see his speed being an issue for us.

The Izzo td vs fsu, the play where Wimbush over threw a wide open player for a td on the first drive

That was Knowles on the TD to Izzo. To the extent JJ was involved, he was out of position - (lack of) speed/range had nothing to do with it.

I was at the ND game and haven't rewatched yet, so I can't comment on that play. But I will keep an eye out for it when I do rewatch.

I see Knowles transferring after this year . The 2018 is pretty much going to push him further in the depth chart

i doubt it ..he plays most special teams. And likely would be in the rotation. Yall be so quick to have guys leave

u,

I'm probably a bit of a Jaquan apologist, but so much is mentioned about his lack of speed and range, but I don't see it during the games. I try to get through the [MENTION=5374]HurricaneVision[/MENTION] recaps as much as I can, and I don't recall seeing much there either. Can anyone point to instances where his speed negatively impacted us?

He definitely isn't the quickest guy I've ever seen, and maybe that will get exposed in the league. But for us, I don't see his speed being an issue for us.

The Izzo td vs fsu, the play where Wimbush over threw a wide open player for a td on the first drive

That was Knowles on the TD to Izzo. To the extent JJ was involved, he was out of position - (lack of) speed/range had nothing to do with it.

I was at the ND game and haven't rewatched yet, so I can't comment on that play. But I will keep an eye out for it when I do rewatch.

I see Knowles transferring after this year . The 2018 is pretty much going to push him further in the depth chart

i doubt it ..he plays most special teams. And likely would be in the rotation. Yall be so quick to have guys leave

These guys act like we can only have 30 guys on the roster. If we want to maintain elite success and not just have a one hit wonder, we need guys like Knowles for special teams and mop ups. Call me crazy, but it really isn’t the best thing ever to have your two starting tail backs as gunners during a championship run (regardless of how good they are). We need depth guys, too. And who knows? Maybe one day the cast off will make the game winning play that re-launches our dynasty...

Advertisement
I love Jaquan but he's got no business declaring early IMO. He isn't going to have the flashy measurable so the more tape he can put out there the better I would think.

Jaquan is playing like arguably the best safety in college football right now.... His tape really isn’t going to get much better and his measurables will never be pretty. Wouldn’t be surprised if he made the move. Same with Jackson.

Heard that argument about Yearby.

Yearby never played at the current level Jaquan is so try again...

Yearby...1002 rushing yards in 2015. Not at "current level'? Really?

I love Jaquan but he's got no business declaring early IMO. He isn't going to have the flashy measurable so the more tape he can put out there the better I would think.

Jaquan is playing like arguably the best safety in college football right now.... His tape really isn’t going to get much better and his measurables will never be pretty. Wouldn’t be surprised if he made the move. Same with Jackson.

Thank you for proving my point.... Jaquan is playing at an elite level right now. Yearby with his 1002 yards was not an elite level.

Last edited:

LOL JJ is getting close to being an All-American. Yearby was a slightly above average ACC back. Travis Homer is about to put up better yards than Yearby in his best year even though he has 1 less game and didn't start until week 5. You came out of exile to drop this little nugget?

Thank you for proofing my point.... Jaquan is playing at an elite level right now. Yearby with his 1002 yards was not an elite level.

proving*

Advertisement

Thank you for proofing my point.... Jaquan is playing at an elite level right now. Yearby with his 1002 yards was not an elite level.

proving*

He should've proveread it.

Advertisement
247 just posted an update on Chatfield and on an IMG visitor for this weekend. Any one care to post/summarize?

People worrying about lb make me laugh. We go 9 deep in 2018, and that's not counting gordiniere and McCray..

The real need is at DE. The top 4 is set but we need to find 3-4 backups, especially since both Jacksons are gone after 2018.

I have a funny feeling that tyreic will move to chad Thomas' position, to go with Chatfield and Rousseau.

You don't recruit for the next season. People worried about linebacker are thinking about 2019, not 2018. Living paycheck to paycheck isn't the move in college football. You can get burned badly with that approach.

We did just fine in 2016 with 3 freshmen, and those 2019 guys are probably even BETTER talents at this stage of their careers.
We were lucky that all three were effective as true freshmen. Do you realize how unusual that is? Are you willing to risk the season that we will catch lightning in a bottle again?

And are people already discounting the 3 stud fr we got in 17?
Well...yes. They true freshmen that haven't played much. They haven't shown they're anything except...true freshmen let alone studs. Of course that doesn't mean they won't develop because they are still true freshmen but we just don't know yet.

The 2019 class won't have to come in and start right away. They'll have 4-5 veterans depending on whether both Pinckney and shaq leave early in front of them until they prove their worth.

See comments in bold.

Don't make no sense. We're not trying to catch no lightning in a bottle again. The 2019 class will have at least 4-6 players ahead of them depending on what happens with Pinckney, shaq, and gordiniere. That's the perfect scenario to bring in 4 more in 2019. We are freaking stacked 10 deep at lb with no seniors, and you all still wringing your hands over this? wtf?

And of those 10 guys we have only have three that we can count on. Shaq, Pinckney and McCloud, if they're still here, will be all seniors when the 2019 class arrives. Owens hasn't been the same since his injury and will be gone. Gordinier, who knows how he will recover. The current three freshman are unknowns and one is coming off of an ACL injury. It seems we're only recruiting two in the 2018 class. You also realize that 4-6 linebackers is pretty thin considering how much LBs are used on special teams.

It's about stacking chips and getting back to the point where we can being in balanced classes. How often do you expect to scramble for graduate and JC transfers or starting true freshman to get out of a hole?

The IMG player is Evan Neal, an OL listed at 6'8" 385 on their roster. Originally played at Okeechobee HS. He's been a heavy Miami lean for awhile.

247 just posted an update on Chatfield and on an IMG visitor for this weekend. Any one care to post/summarize?

Advertisement

This. We've been burned too many times thinking like this. And smh at anyone who brings up numbers proving that we have plenty of depth. Gordiner, McCray are JAGS. Perry, Owens, Smith are all decent players but they are JRs and one might argue that they shouldn't be getting THAT many snaps. Plus, those guys don't play much STs. LBs are critical for STs units - only Jennings and Wilder do it. Wilder is extremely raw, Steed has been banged up and who knows about Jennings. I agree we don't need 3-4 LBs but I think 2-3 is the right number unless you KNOW 2 of them are going to be solid.

Gordinier has had real bad luck but he is far from a JAG! He was in rotation last year and in it again this year after fighting back from major surgery. I give him tons of credit.
And back to JAGS.......... this 10-0 team is all Al Golden recruits. Period! he didn't coach them well and Richt/Diaz are flat our better BUT you gotta back off the recruiting BS now because these are his guys.

This. We've been burned too many times thinking like this. And smh at anyone who brings up numbers proving that we have plenty of depth. Gordiner, McCray are JAGS. Perry, Owens, Smith are all decent players but they are JRs and one might argue that they shouldn't be getting THAT many snaps. Plus, those guys don't play much STs. LBs are critical for STs units - only Jennings and Wilder do it. Wilder is extremely raw, Steed has been banged up and who knows about Jennings. I agree we don't need 3-4 LBs but I think 2-3 is the right number unless you KNOW 2 of them are going to be solid.

Gordinier has had real bad luck but he is far from a JAG! He was in rotation last year and in it again this year after fighting back from major surgery. I give him tons of credit.
And back to JAGS.......... this 10-0 team is all Al Golden recruits. Period! he didn't coach them well and Richt/Diaz are flat our better BUT you gotta back off the recruiting BS now because these are his guys.

In 2016 he injured his knee early in the first game on a special teams play against Florida A&M. Gordinier's a JAG in the sense where he just can't stay healthy; no fault of his own. But saying he was a rotation player is not exactly fact.

Advertisement
Back