The Work 11-13: Welcome to Crootin Season

View as article
I love him to death and his improved play the last 4 weeks is one of the main reasons are defense is so good but 5'9.5 190 lb safetys that run 4.7's usually don't go that high in the NFL draft..Jaquan Johnson isnt going anywhere this year.

Back as a freshman he tested under Swasey who was pretty well known to have non-exaggerated 40 times and matched pretty well with the senior players pro days--
"Freshman Jaquan Johnson ran a 4.60 in the summer testing. He weighed in at 190 pounds, up three from the spring. He had a 375-pound squat (from 365 in the spring), 269-pound power clean (from 276) and 340-pound bench press (from 315). He didn't test in the vertical jump."

Ill giver him that he might have gotten faster with strength training.

I'm probably a bit of a Jaquan apologist, but so much is mentioned about his lack of speed and range, but I don't see it during the games. I try to get through the [MENTION=5374]HurricaneVision[/MENTION] recaps as much as I can, and I don't recall seeing much there either. Can anyone point to instances where his speed negatively impacted us?

He definitely isn't the quickest guy I've ever seen, and maybe that will get exposed in the league. But for us, I don't see his speed being an issue for us.

Being in the right spot > speed.

Advertisement
Hope someone isn't putting nonsense into Jaquan's ear. Go ahead and get the advisory committee opinion. Also please take a strong look at the Safety position historical data.

The biggest knock on Jaquan Johnson will be his athleticism. That knock is going to be there if he declared this year, or stays his senior year and leaves next year. The problem is he has gotten exactly zero draft hype this year. So I don't think he should leave early because I think if he returns for his senior year like Ed Reed did, he can get a lot more draft hype. But this is also a down year for DBs in general. Last year was absolutely loaded at DB. This yr the CB class is garbage....which is actually why Michael Jackson should really consider leaving early. But for Jaquan I think he should stay because I think he needs his stock to be as high as possible entering Combine/Pro Day season because I don't think he'll have a great showing those days.

exactly. amazingly, michael jackson stock might have peaked this year.

UM fans are ridiculous with this early departure ****. Jackson was a guy who never played and was on the verge of being a bust. He plays one good season, and you guys think he can’t get any better? LOL. Fcking nonsense.

Didn't say that. I Said that he should really think about leaving because this CB class is really bad. It Might be the worst position group in the draft.

Not saying he should or shouldn't, but I don't think it'd be a bad decision for him or us if he did declare for the draft.

https://twitter.com/d1scurry/status/930561461172269056
EF251038-74BB-4BBA-9B54-C4C01FA56CF6.jpg

Last edited:
Advertisement
Hope someone isn't putting nonsense into Jaquan's ear. Go ahead and get the advisory committee opinion. Also please take a strong look at the Safety position historical data.

The biggest knock on Jaquan Johnson will be his athleticism. That knock is going to be there if he declared this year, or stays his senior year and leaves next year. The problem is he has gotten exactly zero draft hype this year. So I don't think he should leave early because I think if he returns for his senior year like Ed Reed did, he can get a lot more draft hype. But this is also a down year for DBs in general. Last year was absolutely loaded at DB. This yr the CB class is garbage....which is actually why Michael Jackson should really consider leaving early. But for Jaquan I think he should stay because I think he needs his stock to be as high as possible entering Combine/Pro Day season because I don't think he'll have a great showing those days.

UM fans are ridiculous with this early departure ****. Jackson was a guy who never played and was on the verge of being a bust. He plays one good season, and you guys think he can’t get any better? LOL. Fcking nonsense.

Didn't say that. I Said that he should really think about leaving because this CB class is really bad. It Might be the worst position group in the draft.

Not saying he should or shouldn't, but I don't think it'd be a bad decision for him or us if he did declare for the draft.

You do realize that when players are picked in the later drafts, they have a shorter leash on them? What sense does it make to go because your draft class sucks, yet when you're put against NFL talent, you find out you're not ready? In that case, the respective team will cut the player and other teams will determine that the player is not NFL-caliber. Happens dozens of times per year. Players that are drafted in the lower rounds are more expendable.

JJ can improve his draft stock. This isn't his ceiling.

You do realize that when players are picked in the later drafts, they have a shorter leash on them? What sense does it make to go because your draft class sucks, yet when you're put against NFL talent, you find out you're not ready? In that case, the respective team will cut the player and other teams will determine that the player is not NFL-caliber. Happens dozens of times per year. Players that are drafted in the lower rounds are more expendable.

It very well may be his ceiling. The entire point is he's playing at a pretty good level right now, and has worked himself to be a day 3 draftable player. Returning is risky, because its the unknown. It'll be harder for him to work up to being a 2nd or 3rd rounder than it will be for him to fall off the draftable list. Thats why he's got a tough decision.

And regardless whether he enters the draft this year or next a team isn't just going to just going to completely give up on him within a year. Erik Swoope has been on the ******* Colts for like 3 years now.

If he has a big game in the ACC Championship game and again if we make the playoffs or in the Bowl game, it'll likely be in his best interest to leave early.

Ithink we Miami fans are the worst forecasting every underclassmen to the pros.

Jaquan Johnson is a 4th rounder at best right now.

Kendrick Norton 4th rounder at best.

Mcintosh possible mid 2nd round.

Walton maybe 5th-6th rounder.

Now players gotta make decisions for them and their family, but some some are getting bad advice. Ic can guarantee you
If JJ comes back for senior year and improves he can surge up to solid 3rd round.

Mcintosh is he comes back could be a solid top 20 pick.

Norton could jump up to 2nd round.

Walton up to 3rd round.

Advertisement
Ithink we Miami fans are the worst forecasting every underclassmen to the pros.

Jaquan Johnson is a 4th rounder at best right now.

Kendrick Norton 4th rounder at best.

Mcintosh possible mid 2nd round.

Walton maybe 5th-6th rounder.

Now players gotta make decisions for them and their family, but some some are getting bad advice. Ic can guarantee you
If JJ comes back for senior year and improves he can surge up to solid 3rd round.

Mcintosh is he comes back could be a solid top 20 pick.

Norton could jump up to 2nd round.

Walton up to 3rd round.

Says we suck at predicting where underclassmen will get drafted, then predicts where underclassmen will be drafted: Very nice!

View attachment 54139

Saw the screenshot on twitter

Please translate this. Is trenell saying he wants to decommit from lville and commit to Miami but miami doesn't want him? Or do we actually want him?

Personally, I'm fine with taking this kid as a randy russell replacement.

He's better than Randy Russell, IMHO, as he's a certified goon and more athletic than Macho Man, and I am a Macho Man fan.

Advertisement
View attachment 54139

Please translate this. Is trenell saying he wants to decommit from lville and commit to Miami but miami doesn't want him? Or do we actually want him?

yea troutman wants in but coaches probably dont have a spot for him. p.s. this is also the kid that suckerpunched JT4 back in the summer

People worrying about lb make me laugh. We go 9 deep in 2018, and that's not counting gordiniere and McCray..

The real need is at DE. The top 4 is set but we need to find 3-4 backups, especially since both Jacksons are gone after 2018.

I have a funny feeling that tyreic will move to chad Thomas' position, to go with Chatfield and Rousseau.

You don't recruit for the next season. People worried about linebacker are thinking about 2019, not 2018. Living paycheck to paycheck isn't the move in college football. You can get burned badly with that approach.

We did just fine in 2016 with 3 freshmen, and those 2019 guys are probably even BETTER talents at this stage of their careers.
We were lucky that all three were effective as true freshmen. Do you realize how unusual that is? Are you willing to risk the season that we will catch lightning in a bottle again?

And are people already discounting the 3 stud fr we got in 17?
Well...yes. They true freshmen that haven't played much. They haven't shown they're anything except...true freshmen let alone studs. Of course that doesn't mean they won't develop because they are still true freshmen but we just don't know yet.

The 2019 class won't have to come in and start right away. They'll have 4-5 veterans depending on whether both Pinckney and shaq leave early in front of them until they prove their worth.

See comments in bold.

Advertisement

It very well may be his ceiling. The entire point is he's playing at a pretty good level right now, and has worked himself to be a day 3 draftable player. Returning is risky, because its the unknown. It'll be harder for him to work up to being a 2nd or 3rd rounder than it will be for him to fall off the draftable list. Thats why he's got a tough decision.

And regardless whether he enters the draft this year or next a team isn't just going to just going to completely give up on him within a year. Erik Swoope has been on the ****ing Colts for like 3 years now.

If he has a big game in the ACC Championship game and again if we make the playoffs or in the Bowl game, it'll likely be in his best interest to leave early.

The Colts are arguably the worst ran franchise in the NFL.

Swoope has measurables that scouts tend to measure.

And LOL at coming back being "risky". If Johnson has another year similar to this one, he very well could be a 2nd/3rd round pick after his senior year whereas he'd probably be a 5th-7th round pick this season and risk being cut and not being signed to another team. You do know that Mathieu, who's similar to Johnson in terms of size and measurables was drafted in the 3rd round; and this kid got kicked off of LSU's football team.

View attachment 54139

He's better than Randy Russell, IMHO, as he's a certified goon and more athletic than Macho Man, and I am a Macho Man fan.

I second that Wingz, much better athlete and the polar opposite of a beta *****. If he we're a '17 or '19 guy, he'd be a plan A guy. Just happened to graduate in the most loaded DB class ever...

Isn't Troutman the one that punched Jeff Thomas when Thomas's 7-on-7 team came to Florida for a tournament? I feel like I remember reading that somewhere.

LOL at the imbeciles who think Jaquan can’t improve his stock. He’s not a combine guy, so he needs to be the kind of guy that they say, “Yeah, he’s a little short and doesn’t run all that fast, but he was the engine for the 2018 UM NC team. He had 15 picks in his career, so he’s clearly a huge playmaker and a guy who clearly plays way over his measurables. “

You don’t have that extra year of dominant tape, and you kill yourself when you’re not a combine freak.

Didn't Ed Reed(who didn't have protypical measurables) come back for his SR year after having like 10 picks as a junior and getting all-American recogntion. JJ is having a helluva season but he isn't having THAT kinda year

Advertisement
Back