The Work 10-11

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
Injury notes and updates

**Regarding Sheldrick Redwine’s replacement this week, neither Robert Knowles or Amari Carter have been tabbed the “starter” opposite of JaQuan Johnson yet, according to a source. Expect to see a rotation featuring both of them and potentially Michael Jackson as well. Jackson was being cross-trained throughout spring and fall in case of emergency like this.

**Navaughn Donaldson suffered a nasty ankle injury which will keep him out of Saturday’s game in all likelihood. Freshman Corey Gaynor has been told he will start this weekend, a source said. Gaynor was on the field for Miami’s game-winning drive against FSU and has a ton of people within the program excited about his future. We mentioned Gaynor all fall camp as the 6th man in the offensive line rotation, and now is his chance for even more playing time, although he has seen action in every game thus far.

**At running back, with Mark Walton gone for the year and likely his UM career, Travis Homer was the obvious next man up — but it gets interesting after that. There is a lot of confidence from players that Trayone Gray is ready for what is his first and most realistic chance to prove himself at the University of Miami. Gray has always been thought of highly from those who face him daily in practice, but the mental errors have kept coaches from fully trusting him. Now, with the door wide open, I’m expecting Gray to seize his opportunity and show his Greeentree All-American status to the fans.

Deejay Dallas’ move to running back his being heralded as a “positional switch”, but this is not necessarily a spot that he is clueless about. Much like Mike Jackson’s occasional work at safety in practice, Dallas was getting work all fall camp in the backfield. DMoney and I mentioned this as a possibility for months before his arrival because of his physical build, and he is another player that people within the team are confident will make plays when his number is called. Dallas is especially excited about the move because he’s a guy who will do whatever it takes to see the field.

As for fellow freshman Robert Burns, I would be surprised to see him get action unless another injury occurs. As a result of lingering health issues, he did not really hit the ground running at 100% when camp started, which set him back along with limited practice reps once the season began.

**If Ahmmon Richards suits up this week, it will be in a limited role because as of right now the offense is preparing to be without him. This shouldn’t be a total surprise, but Miami is continuing to play this one on the cautious side.

Recruiting notes

**One of the Miami commits who has not “publicly solidified” his pledge via social media is Gilbert Frierson, but I’m told that is on the horizon. The long-time Canes commit and blood relative of Frank Gore is planning two official visits in the near future — Florida and Georgia, before he wraps things up. UF coaches have had trouble getting in touch with him, as he has not been receptive in answering their calls, but still wants to visit Gainesville and Athens one more time each for the experience.

Miami coaches are aware he will be taking these visits and are not concerned. He will take his UM official in December with a large group of fellow commits and will be an early enrollee. On top of his regular class schedule, he has been enrolled in an online program this semester in order to accelerate his enrollment and everything is on track for him to do just that.

**Offensive tackle commit John Campbell told me this morning that he’s also on track to enroll early. I’ll be updating the status of all potential early enrollees in the coming weeks.

**Although FSU linebacker commit Patrick Joyner has been around Miami campus multiple times recently and there is some speculation that his Noles commitment is shaky, I’ve heard he is not quite ready to make a flip just yet. As I reported a few weeks ago, he remains UM’s top target at linebacker and he is heavily considering them, but there is nothing imminent in the near future. Miami believes that once the season plays its course, his tune will be different. It’s almost as if he’s making Miami sweat it out for coming in to the picture a tad later than FSU did.

**There has been message board speculation recently that Ohio State freshman wide receiver Trevon Grimes was unhappy in Columbus and was looking for a potential change of scenery after this season — with Miami being at the top of his list if he made that decision. I was tipped off about this two weeks ago, but after doing some digging, I’m told that he is not somebody UM would be interested in unless something unforeseen changes with their current crop of receivers and recruiting class. In the last couple years, Miami has turned down local prospects like Tim Irvin who once spurned Miami for other programs, only to want to transfer back home a year or two later.

Grimes was a higher caliber prospect than that, but Miami’s message in these cases has been “this is what happens when you “miss your chance to play here”. It’s obviously too early in the stages to say that it won’t happen for sure, but at this point he isn’t in their plans.

Advertisement
The last piece regarding Grimes is mind numbingly dumb. Complete ineptitude on Richt's part if true.

You don't turn down elite talent at a skill position. Unbelievable.

Injury notes and updates

**Regarding Sheldrick Redwine’s replacement this week, neither Robert Knowles or Amari Carter have been tabbed the “starter” opposite of JaQuan Johnson yet, according to a source. Expect to see a rotation featuring both of them and potentially Michael Jackson as well. Jackson was being cross-trained throughout spring and fall in case of emergency like this.

**Navaughn Donaldson suffered a nasty ankle injury which will keep him out of Saturday’s game in all likelihood. Freshman Corey Gaynor has been told he will start this weekend, a source said. Gaynor was on the field for Miami’s game-winning drive against FSU and has a ton of people within the program excited about his future. We mentioned Gaynor all fall camp as the 6th man in the offensive line rotation, and now is his chance for even more playing time, although he has seen action in every game thus far.

**At running back, with Mark Walton gone for the year and likely his UM career, Travis Homer was the obvious next man up — but it gets interesting after that. There is a lot of confidence from players that Trayone Gray is ready for what is his first and most realistic chance to prove himself at the University of Miami. Gray has always been thought of highly from those who face him daily in practice, but the mental errors have kept coaches from fully trusting him. Now, with the door wide open, I’m expecting Gray to seize his opportunity and show his Greeentree All-American status to the fans.

Deejay Dallas’ move to running back his being heralded as a “positional switch”, but this is not necessarily a spot that he is clueless about. Much like Mike Jackson’s occasional work at safety in practice, Dallas was getting work all fall camp in the backfield. DMoney and I mentioned this as a possibility for months before his arrival because of his physical build, and he is another player that people within the team are confident will make plays when his number is called. Dallas is especially excited about the move because he’s a guy who will do whatever it takes to see the field.

As for fellow freshman Robert Burns, I would be surprised to see him get action unless another injury occurs. As a result of lingering health issues, he did not really hit the ground running at 100% when camp started, which set him back along with limited practice reps once the season began.

**If Ahmmon Richards suits up this week, it will be in a limited role because as of right now the offense is preparing to be without him. This shouldn’t be a total surprise, but Miami is continuing to play this one on the cautious side.

Recruiting notes

**One of the Miami commits who has not “publicly solidified” his pledge via social media is Gilbert Frierson, but I’m told that is on the horizon. The long-time Canes commit and blood relative of Frank Gore is planning two official visits in the near future — Florida and Georgia, before he wraps things up. UF coaches have had trouble getting in touch with him, as he has not been receptive in answering their calls, but still wants to visit Gainesville and Athens one more time each for the experience.

Miami coaches are aware he will be taking these visits and are not concerned. He will take his UM official in December with a large group of fellow commits and will be an early enrollee. On top of his regular class schedule, he has been enrolled in an online program this semester in order to accelerate his enrollment and everything is on track for him to do just that.

**Offensive tackle commit John Campbell told me this morning that he’s also on track to enroll early. I’ll be updating the status of all potential early enrollees in the coming weeks.

**Although FSU linebacker commit Patrick Joyner has been around Miami campus multiple times recently and there is some speculation that his Noles commitment is shaky, I’ve heard he is not quite ready to make a flip just yet. As I reported a few weeks ago, he remains UM’s top target at linebacker and he is heavily considering them, but there is nothing imminent in the near future. Miami believes that once the season plays its course, his tune will be different. It’s almost as if he’s making Miami sweat it out for coming in to the picture a tad later than FSU did.

**There has been message board speculation recently that Ohio State freshman wide receiver Trevon Grimes was unhappy in Columbus and was looking for a potential change of scenery after this season — with Miami being at the top of his list if he made that decision. I was tipped off about this two weeks ago, but after doing some digging, I’m told that he is not somebody UM would be interested in unless something unforeseen changes with their current crop of receivers and recruiting class. In the last couple years, Miami has turned down local prospects like Tim Irvin who once spurned Miami for other programs, only to want to transfer back home a year or two later.

Grimes was a higher caliber prospect than that, but Miami’s message in these cases has been “this is what happens when you “miss your chance to play here”. It’s obviously too early in the stages to say that it won’t happen for sure, but at this point he isn’t in their plans.

That part about grimes is just dumb, greg Olsen chose Notre Dame over Miami only to transfer here less than a year later..... grimes is an elite talent and would be the second most talented receiver on the roster if he transferred in...

Advertisement
The last piece regarding Grimes is mind numbingly dumb. Complete ineptitude on Richt's part if true.

Well as of now it’s more about them being comfortable with what they have at receiver and what they’re bringing in. But that last part is something that could play into the equation.

Not being interested in Grimes because he “missed his chance” is dumb for a kid with his talent. I would agree in most cases, but if a guy like him (arguably the best WR in FL before injury) wants to transfer here, that should be a take all day. Not intending to shoot the messenger by any means here, but that just sounds downright ridiculous.

Wow Richt and squad are some savages with regards to Grimes.

Kinda letting cats know ain't no transferring back down this way if they leave.

Don't know how to feel bout that one.

There is a lot of confidence from players that Trayone Gray is ready for what is his first and most realistic chance to prove himself at the University of Miami. Gray has always been thought of highly from those who face him daily in practice, but the mental errors have kept coaches from fully trusting him. Now, with the door wide open, I’m expecting Gray to seize his opportunity and show his Greeentree All-American status to the fans.

Hopefully this just means pass protection, and not he doesn't know the playbook.

I hope Dallas becomes the 3rd down back. Just been wanting to see him on the field, and we know his hands are good.

Advertisement
That part about grimes is just dumb, greg Olsen chose Notre Dame over Miami only to transfer here less than a year later..... grimes is an elite talent and would be the second most talented receiver on the roster if he transferred in...

Olsen's from NJ. Grimes was a local prospect (even though he's originally from Indiana). That was also under a different staff (Coker). I don't mind Richt's take on the matter either way. Grimes is elite, but Richt's putting a premium on wanting to play for Miami. Offering that opportunity at any given day dilutes what he's trying to do.

Well as of now it’s more about them being comfortable with what they have at receiver and what they’re bringing in. But that last part is something that could play into the equation.

Understood but regardless of who we get Grimes is a physical speicman.

You simply don't turn down that type of talent.

Advertisement

Olsen's from NJ. Grimes was a local prospect (even though he's originally from Indiana). That was also under a different staff (Coker). I don't mind Richt's take on the matter either way. Grimes is elite, but Richt's putting a premium on wanting to play for Miami. Offering that opportunity at any given day dilutes what he's trying to do.

Yeah but this is dumb to me, you need kids with elite talent. How many do we have on the roster at receiver with elite talent? Only a few
He’s better than everyone not named Richards or maybe Thomas on the roster..

Last edited:
Also should be noted on Grimes that he was not a guy that this staff went “balls to the wall” for. Yes, they were recruiting him, but Grimes didn’t show much reciprocal interest and UM did not view him as a “can’t miss”

Wow well Jeff Thomas and Harley noodles Hightower etc... must have the coaches confidence.

As they should, because I believe it’s an elite group. However, you simply don’t turn down a player of that caliber unless there are serious off the field issues. Absolutely blows my mind if true.

Advertisement
I'm not trying to be mean bc I genuinely love all Canes, but even with the injuries, Knowles has no business seeing the field. it hsouldn't even be a consideration.

Wow well Jeff Thomas and Harley noodles Hightower etc... must have the coaches confidence.

As they should, because I believe it’s an elite group. However, you simply don’t turn down a player of that caliber unless there are serious off the field issues. Absolutely blows my mind if true.

If they didn’t see him as a must have when he was a recruit, I don’t know why their stance would change after one year, especially with the way recruiting is going.

Advertisement
Back