The Urban Pitch

So what you are saying is that Dixon is not the "great" prospect everyone assumes? That might be a good point. Urban recruited a lot of top classes and ended up with nothing. Maybe the kids that buy his crap are those who are going to end up crap-- the big names that don't pan out. He can coach, but there is a good argument that the players he recruits don't live up to the hype. I can buy that.

Urbby left UF in bad shape, so his long term player evaluation is to be seen. He walked in to a great situation with players Zook recruited, and
walked into another stacked roster at The *. He has proven he can coach talent, but so did Coker. Where The * goes in the future will be interesting. He should do well, but UF should be stacked right now and they are not. I'd take Saban and others over Mr. Chest Pains!

plus rep for OP.

Urban Meyer is perhaps the best coach in CFB today. Here is what he can sell:

* He took ****ing UTAH to an undefeated season and won a BCS bowl there. (First ever non BCS skool to win a BCS bowl)

* Won 2 national titles at Ufelony - multiple SEC titles

* Is currently 24-1 at osu.

I give coach Golden props for making this as close of a race as it was.

Advertisement
Kid wanted to go away for college .Its as simple as that. He said thats all it was . Sometimes its an overbearing parent or bad memories growing up. Wish him well personally but wish his team unending disappointment.

How about recruiting pitches don't ******* MATTER.
It comes down to relationships. HS Coach to College Coach, Player to College Coach, Player's family to college coach.

IF Dixon would have choose us the article would have said, "Miami is great fit for me, it's close to home and I can play right away, they are building something special." same thing that the other 30 kids in this class have said.

It's clear that when he sat down with his HS coach and asked him who should he trust? His coach said.......Urban Lyer, why? Because that's always where he's sent his kids and Urban has "taken good care" of them. When the parents asked Daniels if their son would be ok up in Ohio his was reply was "I always send kids to Urban, I don't know much about Coach Golden."

You think that Urban Myer made up that recruiting pitch when he got to OSU?? Come' on man, northern schools have been using that same weak *** NFL-cold weather team crap for decades, that's their only tool for selling kids on cold weather.

Some kids just want to get away. If you are texting,calling,facebooking,tweeting everyday and the kids goes some where else he was never coming here. Ppl fail to realize that we currently have a beast recruiting staff with one of the best closers in the game. If a kid don't pick the U, he was never going to pick the U.

Last edited:
I love this ****!

Dixon picks OSU. Fact OSU won this battle.

Reaction: Golden failed. You said he was a great recruiter. He failed. You suck. He sucks. I am smart.

Response: We lost this battle to a good coach and team. We still have a top 5 class. Relax.

Response: Excuses. This is the U. Pounds chest. Any time anywhere! Golden failed. Slurpers.

Response: We have not been good in 10 years, are coming off two bad coaches, an NCAA investigation and are not back yet. We are rebuilding. Relax.

Response: Excuses. This is the U. Pounds chest. Any time anywhere! Golden failed. Slurpers.

Response: I agree. I will now post funny meme or gif to attack Coach Golden or Coach D to raise my rep and agree with cool kids. Then parrot: Excuses. This is the U. Pounds chest. Any time anywhere! Golden failed. Slurpers.

Response: What would you do differently than the coaches have been doing. The recruit said he wanted to leave home.

Best post so far.

This board is definitely showing "Grassy symptoms".

Advertisement
Dixon grew up a Cane fan. His goal was to play for the Canes. He visited frequently. As late as a month ago he was considered solid to the Canes and now he's gone. Forget Urban Meyer the great coach. There were plenty of bullets in Goldens chamber. Urban left a mess in Fl. He is unstable in that he has failing health one day coaching the next. He moves around. Notre Dame/Pros next? Dixon was turned in a matter of a few weeks. That takes a full court press involving not only Meyer but others. The Dwyer coach knows how to turn kids. He's done it before. He's Urban's buddy. When Urban asked for help this fight was over. Was there money involved? Not necessarily but if there was my guess the Dwyer coach has an arrangement, finders fee or whatever. If Cook/Jackson commit and the staff really wants this kid I would recruit him until NSD.

Dixon grew up a Cane fan. His goal was to play for the Canes. He visited frequently. As late as a month ago he was considered solid to the Canes and now he's gone. Forget Urban Meyer the great coach. There were plenty of bullets in Goldens chamber. Urban left a mess in Fl. He is unstable in that he has failing health one day coaching the next. He moves around. Notre Dame/Pros next? Dixon was turned in a matter of a few weeks. That takes a full court press involving not only Meyer but others. The Dwyer coach knows how to turn kids. He's done it before. He's Urban's buddy. When Urban asked for help this fight was over. Was there money involved? Not necessarily but if there was my guess the Dwyer coach has an arrangement, finders fee or whatever. If Cook/Jackson commit and the staff really wants this kid I would recruit him until NSD.

exactly that guy has sent ppl to Urban for years. it's pretty obvious. **** he sent Jacoby to UF at Urban's request even though he had stepped down from his coaching gig. for JD it's a chance for him to feel cool in his circle because he can tell ppl he's "friends" with Urban Meyer lol

Golden did say in that Monday interview that the most important relationship is the kids HS coach. I think he said something like that's who your customer is or something like that.

I still go back to Coley and the swag hat. We need guys who want to be that. I presume that is Golden's pitch vs OS, LSU et al.

**** *** thread. Go root for ****ing FIU if you're going to have this soft-shouldered, feminine, sense of inferiority mindset.

We're the U. Can Urban pitch that Ohio State is the ****ing U? No. So go **** yourself and take your sense of inferiority to OSU with you.

Actually, if you look back in history, Ohio State has an illustrious history that goes back much farther than the U's. We were nobody in college football when Ohio State was one of the dominant teams. Maybe Urban Meyer sells that, maybe he doesn't. Our history of greatness covers less than 20 years and we've had a slew of coaches since 2001, and none have done anything. Their tradition is evident in a great stadium that's packed every weekend.

I don't know how many national championships OSU has won, but we're the new kid on the block, and we've faded in the last dozen years. Ohio State has done a lot more since then, and they're likely to do so with Meyer. I wish we could point to Meyer as an offshoot of our coaching tree, because he was an assistant at Colorado State under Sonny Lubick, one of the best DC's in the history UM. Perhaps if we'd gone ahead and hired Sonny at some point for one of the head coaching openings for which he was a candidate, Urban Meyer might have been a UM assistant before he started his run.

Advertisement

exactly that guy has sent ppl to Urban for years. it's pretty obvious. **** he sent Jacoby to UF at Urban's request even though he had stepped down from his coaching gig. for JD it's a chance for him to feel cool in his circle because he can tell ppl he's "friends" with Urban Meyer lol

I would hope someday this kind of activity by public employees would eventually come around to bit them in the rear. I can't believ it is considered ethical conduct to somehow benefit personally from one's status as a public employee. It must violate some ethics rules. Now, to get somebody to do something about it, that's another matter. That's a problem for the State of Florida but given the protection thrown around Jameis Winston, I have very little hope for the right thing to be done by any public authority in the State of Florida.

You're all acting like the kids have no choice. Their coach "sent" them to other schools when they actually were big fans of The U. What are you guys on? No one knew what Dixon wanted but now it's obvious he wanted to leave. When I was in high school I wore Colorado State shirts all the time (I'm from Colorado) and when I received my acceptance letter from Miami I got the **** out of Colorado. I bet Kiy Hester wore a lot of Rutgers gear too but he didn't want to go there. Some people are fine with playing in the cold and Dixon was even quoted saying it doesn't matter to him. It wasn't his coaches decision.

And WTF he wants to tell people he's "friends with Urban"? WTF is going on in this thread. Worst thread of the year.

Here is another question since OP and his girlfriends won't answer my simple question.

If recruiting against Urban Meyer or Saban or Miles was so daunting why did Golden find success against Saban last year but Urban proved too much to overcome? Again some posters on here love Golden more than the Canes. They will say anything to excuse any failing he has. Anyone agreeing with the OP should be embarrassed.

Funny how you ignore the players we have that Saban and Miles wanted, while pointing to a player that we wanted but went to OSU. Even the most simple-minded person should be able to understand that we, nor anyone else, will ever get everyone they want. Period.
If you would have read what I wrote in this thread, you would have seen that I was actually saying Golden has been successful against Saban, Meyers and Miles, etc. Golden beat Meyers for Berrios. Golden has won his fair share of battles and lost his fair share its part of recruiting. What I and a couple others were criticizing was OPs excuse making that Golden can't compete on Meyers or Saban's level when that is false.

You guys love to make excuses for Golden when they aren't necessary. Yes losing Dixon was a failure by Golden, just like losing Berrios was a failure for Meyer or losing Burns and Bush was a failure for Saban. But once you and your ilk see the words failure and Golden next to each other you get all defensive and become incapable of having an adult conversation. Remove your emotion out of it and accept that your lord and savior al golden is fallible and then we can talk.

Last edited:
Here is another question since OP and his girlfriends won't answer my simple question.

If recruiting against Urban Meyer or Saban or Miles was so daunting why did Golden find success against Saban last year but Urban proved too much to overcome? Again some posters on here love Golden more than the Canes. They will say anything to excuse any failing he has. Anyone agreeing with the OP should be embarrassed.

Funny how you ignore the players we have that Saban and Miles wanted, while pointing to a player that we wanted but went to OSU. Even the most simple-minded person should be able to understand that we, nor anyone else, will ever get everyone they want. Period.
If you would have read what I wrote in this thread, you would have seen that I was actually saying Golden has been successful against Saban, Meyers and Miles, etc. Golden beat Meyers for Berrios. Golden has won his fair share of battles and lost his fair share its part of recruiting. What I and a couple others were criticizing was OPs excuse making that Golden can't compete on Meyers or Saban's level when that is false.

You guys love to make excuses for Golden when they aren't necessary. Yes losing Dixon was a failure by Golden, just like losing Berrios was a failure for Meyer or losing Burns and Bush was a failure for Saban. But once you and your ilk see the words failure and Golden next to each other you get all defensive and become incapable of having an adult conversation. Remove your emotion out of it and accept that your lord and savior al golden is fallible and then we can talk.
To be fair, Golden didnt beat out Urban for Berrios. Iirc, Taint wasnt even in Berrios's top 5. OSU seemed to cool on him after a while. I saw Berrios get his offer here in Columbus at Friday Night Lights, and i think the point of that was to get him to commit on spot while he was there to take everything in. Didnt happen. We seemed to be on Berrios harder than Meyer. But Meyer had us on Dixon, a better talent here in SoFla. Stings.

Agreed, we beat out Bama/Auburn for Bush and Burns. But really, how bad did Bama absolutely need those two like we do. Look back at their classes, they have incredible depth and are able to recruit well at those positions year after year. Like LSU as well. We really needed those two, along with Tracy, which you HAVE to give Golden credit for. But in terms of one on one recruiting battles against the big whigs that really need the guys we do too, its hard. Straight up. OSU needed Dixon, Urban beat us out. Lost out on Collins the year before. Bryant to Jimbo when we really needed a DT.

Ill be on Goldens side forever pretty much, but sometimes its hard to realistically argue with some of the recruiting losses. You sort of have to expect it with his first couple of years, coupled with the NCAA thing thats finally over. Lets really see what happens next year where he has a fully cycle, as well as his players on the field.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back