The U will never be back

The stadium problem will be gone after the remake of Joe Robbie. Capacity is being reduced to 63,000 and we will be close to the action.

I think this is a good point. I was just reading up on the stadium renovation, and they are doing some interesting things. Sun Life has 35,000 upper deck seats, the most in the nfl by far. The next biggest is in the 20s. There's a reason why other stadiums don't have upper decks that big. That's a whole lot of seats that are really really far from the field. It's a big part of the reason why it always look so empty there.

With the renovations they are removing a lot of upper decks seats. Total capacity is being reduced by 11,000 down to 65k. They are adding 3k seats to the lower bowl. That means a lot of seats are going bye bye in the upper deck. A smart move. With the new capacity, you get 45k fans in there and the stadium is now over 2/3 full. Plus with the canopy, no more aerial shots of an empty sun life stadium. Seems silly to even consider that a positive, but perception is reality and people see these empty aerial shots and pass them around the media.

The noise level should go way up too. With so much of the stadium currently in the upper deck and with an open air format, a lot of that upper deck noise is lost to the atmosphere. The new canopy will help redirect a lot of that noise back toward the field.

These changes are all smart. I like them. The new stadium is really going to look state of the art. 17, 18 year old recruits are going to be impressed.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Th U will never be back??? If Al is half the motivational genius he thinks he is, he'll post a copy of the transcript from the show up in the locker room and let the players decide if the statement is true or not.

This does nothing. It's like pretending the team would come out 'mad' about losing to FSU last year and DUke getting hurt, and then ****ting the bed against VT and Duke.

The stadium problem will be gone after the remake of Joe Robbie. Capacity is being reduced to 63,000 and we will be close to the action.

I think this is a good point. I was just reading up on the stadium renovation, and they are doing some interesting things. Sun Life has 35,000 upper deck seats, the most in the nfl by far. The next biggest is in the 20s. There's a reason why other stadiums don't have upper decks that big. That's a whole lot of seats that are really really far from the field. It's a big part of the reason why it always look so empty there.

With the renovations they are removing a lot of upper decks seats. Total capacity is being reduced by 11,000 down to 65k. They are adding 3k seats to the lower bowl. That means a lot of seats are going bye bye in the upper deck. A smart move. With the new capacity, you get 45k fans in there and the stadium is now over 2/3 full. Plus with the canopy, no more aerial shots of an empty sun life stadium. Seems silly to even consider that a positive, but perception is reality and people see these empty aerial shots and pass them around the media.

The noise level should go way up too. With so much of the stadium currently in the upper deck and with an open air format, a lot of that upper deck noise is lost to the atmosphere. The new canopy will help redirect a lot of that noise back toward the field.

These changes are all smart. I like them. The new stadium is really going to look state of the art. 17, 18 year old recruits are going to be impressed.
Yeah but the location is still an issue. It's too far from campus.

That's not really an issue. We have a small student body; even if we had a stadium near campus that was easily accessible by students, there are still only ~5-10k students who would show up.

In a couple years we'll have something like this.

miami-sun-life-stadium-renderings_0.jpg

Advertisement
People act like the OB was packed every game.. this is miami we have things to do down hear but we do need our own stadium it feels like a part of our identity died with the OB we need that mojo back...

People act like the OB was packed every game.. this is miami we have things to do down hear but we do need our own stadium it feels like a part of our identity died with the OB we need that mojo back...

I wonder if people would feels like "our identity died" if we were still a top-10 team every year, playing in Sun Life.

View attachment 27217

Say what you want, but after the renovations and upgrades, that stadium is going to be sick. I don't care that we don't own it and that its a good distance away from campus, there aren't many other colleges playing in a better stadium than that (once renovations are complete).

The remodeling of Sun Life doesn't make up for the fact that the stadium is 30 minutes from campus...

Advertisement
The remodeling of Sun Life doesn't make up for the fact that the stadium is 30 minutes from campus...

What does distance from campus have to do with anything? Since we're not getting an on-campus stadium any time soon, what does it matter if it's 15 minutes or half an hour away?

Isn't it gonna be done by next season? Or are they gonna be doing it piece by piece each offseason

Isn't it gonna be done by next season? Or are they gonna be doing it piece by piece each offseason

Starting major renovations this off season. Goal is project completion for beginning of 2016 season. I looked around online briefly for a project schedule but found nothing.

Starting major renovations this off season. Goal is project completion for beginning of 2016 season. I looked around online briefly for a project schedule but found nothing.
Found this on the dolphins website

http://www.miamidolphins.com/newstadium.html

The stadium will be modernized in two phases, in a manner that will not impact any football games. Many of the renovations will be done for the 2015 season and the remainder will be completed by the 2016 season.

Hopefully at least the seats part of is done by next season. It says most of it will be done by then but we'll see

Advertisement

I don't get the "distance from campus" crowd, as mentioned Miami has a small student body, and IIRC it's been shown that season ticket holders are from Palm Beach to Miami-Dade counties. So what does bringing it closer to campus accomplish?
The location has very little to nothing to do with attendance.

I don't get the "distance from campus" crowd, as mentioned Miami has a small student body, and IIRC it's been shown that season ticket holders are from Palm Beach to Miami-Dade counties. So what does bringing it closer to campus accomplish?
The location has very little to nothing to do with attendance.

The students don't care about the football team in the first place. There were hardly any students there for the UNC game and that was the homecoming game. They just don't show up unless its a big game. If you moved the stadium on campus, they still wouldn't show up. And on top of that, you wouldn't be able to serve alcohol. I'll gladly trade off catering to maybe 1,000 ****** kids that couldn't care less about Canes football for being able to kick back some beers in an NFL stadium.

Advertisement

View attachment 27217

Say what you want, but after the renovations and upgrades, that stadium is going to be sick. I don't care that we don't own it and that its a good distance away from campus, there aren't many other colleges playing in a better stadium than that (once renovations are complete).

Do people really weigh stadium atmosphere when deciding whether or not to attend a football game? I don't think so. I've never thought of going to a football game then backed out because the seats are too far from the field or the view isn't amazing. I think these renovations are a non-factor.

On the other hand, I have thought of going to a football game then realized it's a pain in the *** to get to the stadium and saw no point going out of my way to watch my team lose. (I'm talking primarily about traveling from Brooklyn to New Jersey to watch the Jets lose.)

In my view, these are the things that matter as far as filling up our stadium is concerned:

- Logistical difficulties getting to the stadium. No public transportation. Sitting in traffic for hours to go to the middle of nowhere. Everyone driving drunk. Etc.
- Cost of attending a game. Tickets may be relatively cheap, but parking/food/beer is expensive. If you're going with your wife and two kids, you're dropping $100-$200 easy.
- Historically bad Miami teams facing relatively boring, no-name opponents. Even ACC opponents - I'm never watching Miami live against GT's stupid triple option ever again.
- Millions of other things constantly happening right in Miami. Many of which are free/cheaper and have a much shorter time commitment than a game.
- Our fan base is national, not Miami-based. Alumni love the Canes, but none of us live there. Out of my friends from school, only one still lives in Miami (and I only graduated three years ago). Everyone leaves.

Dunno what my point is. Just ranting cause it's Friday.

I don't think that really matters all that much.

View attachment 27217

Do people really weigh stadium atmosphere when deciding whether or not to attend a football game? I don't think so. I've never thought of going to a football game then backed out because the seats are too far from the field or the view isn't amazing. I think these renovations are a non-factor.

On the other hand, I have thought of going to a football game then realized it's a pain in the *** to get to the stadium and saw no point going out of my way to watch my team lose. (I'm talking primarily about traveling from Brooklyn to New Jersey to watch the Jets lose.)

In my view, these are the things that matter as far as filling up our stadium is concerned:

- Logistical difficulties getting to the stadium. No public transportation. Sitting in traffic for hours to go to the middle of nowhere. Everyone driving drunk. Etc.
- Cost of attending a game. Tickets may be relatively cheap, but parking/food/beer is expensive. If you're going with your wife and two kids, you're dropping $100-$200 easy.
- Historically bad Miami teams facing relatively boring, no-name opponents. Even ACC opponents - I'm never watching Miami live against GT's stupid triple option ever again.
- Millions of other things constantly happening right in Miami. Many of which are free/cheaper and have a much shorter time commitment than a game.
- Our fan base is national, not Miami-based. Alumni love the Canes, but none of us live there. Out of my friends from school, only one still lives in Miami (and I only graduated three years ago). Everyone leaves.

I don't agree. The canopy will provide sun protection and I can tell you for sure that a lot of people do not attend games at that stadium when it's hot because it's brutal.

This is what I'm thinking as well. It's still going to be a hassle to get to the game and too expensive for many students.

Advertisement
Back