The two biggest things Sam Bruce brings to the table

Advertisement
For all the guys claiming he's such an explosive playmaker, how do you explain the 9 yards per catch on a team full of weapons where the D couldn't key on only Sam. Honest question for those who didn't just watch his highlight video but actually watched his games.

Good question.

Anybody know how he was utilized?

Was he just a "move the sticks" guy for STA or did they actually use him to try and get chunks? Even in his highlight it always seemed like he was in a phone booth.

Anyone who didn't want this dude is just getting emotional about the fact he's played games.

He is a flat out stud and will instantly help our 3rd down conversions, but what he brings more than anything to me is mindset. It's really hard to have an authentic mindset that you'll compete above all else.

I want that in you more than anything else. Seriously. More than height, athletic ability etc. You've got to have those things too, but I start with your mindset and work from there personally.

For all the guys claiming he's such an explosive playmaker, how do you explain the 9 yards per catch on a team full of weapons where the D couldn't key on only Sam. Honest question for those who didn't just watch his highlight video but actually watched his games.

Good question.

Was he just a "move the sticks" guy for STA or did they actually use him to try and get chunks? Even in his highlight it always seemed like he was in a phone booth.

I watched him more at University than STA, and he made plenty of big chunk plays there.

STA had two tall receivers ('17 stud Trevon Grimes and '16 Illinois commit Dominic Thieman) who would get targeted on the deeper shots. Bruce and Irvin II were used in multiple ways, with Bruce lining up at RB and Irvin actually taking snaps under center.

Advertisement
Happy to have him for obvious reasons including being a vocal HS kid who some say showed signs of "leadership" which is always an asset. A player who is known to have quickness and good hands. A name who you try to keep home. Do I expect him to be a super star in college? No. But he doesn't have to be. He is only one piece of the puzzle.

Steve Smith

Steve Smith was much, much faster. He could fly.

I do like Bruce's body control though.

Steve is definitely faster, but what Steve did pound for pound better than any WR ever is big boy CBs for the ball and catch everything near him. I know Sam will never be Steve, but their games are similar. And my favorite similarity....they both love to talk ****!

[video=youtube_share;6rYZclgoS2c]https://youtu.be/6rYZclgoS2c[/video]

Again, I love having him on board. But I've yet to see how an elite short area burst guy with elite moves and quickness could be held to 9 yards per catch over the course of an entire season in high school, especially on a team with multiple weapons that didn't allow opponents to focus on Sam.

Again, I love having him on board. But I've yet to see how an elite short area burst guy with elite moves and quickness could be held to 9 yards per catch over the course of an entire season in high school, especially on a team with multiple weapons that didn't allow opponents to focus on Sam.

Because Jake Allen sucks (uf commit) 1600 yds 18td 8int with all those weapons. Sean white threw for 2300 and 29tds when he was at university with bruce (auburn commit) 15ypc and 9tds that year. Hes never going to have #1 type receiver stats but he can make major impacts on gameplanning and special teams. You cant toss a LB or 99% of safeties on him.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Because Jake Allen sucks (uf commit) 1600 yds 18td 8int with all those weapons. Sean white threw for 2300 and 29tds when he was at university with bruce (auburn commit)

Allen sucks? If so, he's still Brett Farve compared to Latrell's QB and Latrell still put up huge numbers this year...

steve smith ran a 4.39 40

there's no reason to think that with a college strength program that bruce can't get down to 4.4-4.45 range.

Will he be as good as smith? I doubt it but who knows.

Steve Smith was elite in space, and was exceptional at going up for the ball despite his size. Panthers would run 5-6 bubble screens a game to him and he would bound to break one for a massive gain

Because Jake Allen sucks (uf commit) 1600 yds 18td 8int with all those weapons. Sean white threw for 2300 and 29tds when he was at university with bruce (auburn commit)

Allen sucks? If so, he's still Brett Farve compared to Latrell's QB and Latrell still put up huge numbers this year...

Their schedules arent in the same universe of difficulty...sucks is a strong word but allen had ridiculous talent at rb wr and te and put up pedestrian #s .

Their schedules arent in the same universe of difficulty...sucks is a strong word but allen had ridiculous talent at rb wr and te and put up pedestrian #s .

Told y'all... Allen isn't that good, how do you even put up those type of numbers with that much elite talent around you.... And to add to that Sam Bruce would be open several times in the game and Allen couldn't get the ball to him. Those stats from their qb explain everything....

Advertisement

you dont need to run a 4.3 to be a threat, he will get faster top end as he goes through collage, his highlights to me looked like a ton of bubble screens and short crossing routs, do you think he is not explosive????

Good question.

I watched him more at University than STA, and he made plenty of big chunk plays there.

STA had two tall receivers ('17 stud Trevon Grimes and '16 Illinois commit Dominic Thieman) who would get targeted on the deeper shots. Bruce and Irvin II were used in multiple ways, with Bruce lining up at RB and Irvin actually taking snaps under center.

+1 **** I didn't know he was the same kid that played for University, but I'm glad we got him. Another thing, its hard to really evaluate kids that play for STA, b/c of the talent level. I remember watching Bosa dominate while the other dt was getting all of the credit based off stats.

Advertisement
I kind of disagree with Dmoney on some things about his quickness... He is a long strider to be 5'8 Ive never seen anything like it. his change of direction is elite I wouldnt consider his quickness elite. When he starts and stops again it takes him awhile to get going again this is why he gets caught from behind on some of his runs. When he hits his stride he is fast enough. he seems to explode out of his cuts when hes running more then when coming off the line of scrimmage. I think it takes him a while to get top notch speed... thats why his numbers are low... Jake Allen does not suck

His lack of production at STA is indefensible considering the plethora of weapons, including a D1 QB.

The guy is being compared to Steve Smith because of his #yoloswagdabs and his popularity locally.

Advertisement
Back