The two biggest things Sam Bruce brings to the table

1. Quickness- I believe that quickness and short-area explosion are the two most important attributes for a skill position player. So many big and fast guys have busted in the NFL because they can't separate. The New England Patriots, on the other hand, stock up on undersized quick guys.

Bruce is the quickest prospect in the country. Kaaya is one of the quickest-minded quarterbacks in the country. With his ability to separate in a flash, Bruce will complement Kaaya's game like Wes Welker complemented Tom Brady's game. Bruce also has strength and big hands like Duke Johnson. This allows him to play bigger than his size.

2. He's an Alpha- I first saw Bruce as a freshman at a loaded 7-on-7 event. He was talking crap to every DB he went up against. He hasn't stopped talking since. Bruce competes with a dominant mentality that is authentic. That's why he's been able to ball out at national showcases. Even though he's 5'8, he was Mossing guys at the Opening and the Rivals Five-Star Challenge.

Basically, Bruce is Michael Irvin in Wes Welker's body. Santana Moss is another comparison, although Bruce is more of a 4.5 than a 4.3. When he was at U-School, Bruce played both ways and busted heads on defense. I still remember him as a sophomore giving a tearful speech at halftime of the Booker T. game, only to go out in the second half and compete his *** off. We need that competitive edge if we are going to be Miami again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfOzw8uXhQc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQYVhaQUmvI

We chatted about #1 this morning. It's the key to football these days. It's also something that we really don't have outside of Coley (but doesn't have a strong enough frame) and Njoku. We struggled mightily this past season on 3rd downs because (a) our O-Coordinator struggled with predictability and playcalling, but (b) because we did not have guys who could consistently win matchups in short areas.

Basically, like many non-power running teams, we ended up with a lot of 3rd and 5 to 3rd and 8 situations. In those spots, the best answer to blitzing defenses on a fairly immobile QB is a player who can quickly win a matchup in a short area. Whether it be option routes or crossing routes, etc., guys like Bruce make their money between the hashes and using the hashes to gain separation to the sidelines. And, as a plus, if he works on his straight line speed a bit, he becomes a threat down the seam.

For those who follow the NFL, think Andrew Hawkins, Julian Edelman and Randall Cobb.

We should improve on 3rd downs because:

1. Power Running game should keep us on better schedule
2. Kaaya has another year to progress
3. Change in scheme/timing and playcalling/predictability should help
4. We'll have closer to a handful of guys who can win in short areas

Advertisement
Steve Smith

I don't want to go there yet, but the signs are there.

Same physical profile and the same temperament.

Why yall wanna do this to this man?

05a75d16128a272b4f9d3a8f10414a58.gif

I still remember him as a sophomore giving a tearful speech at halftime of the Booker T. game, only to go out in the second half and compete his *** off. We need that competitive edge if we are going to be Miami again.

This is spot on. We have totally lost the Alpha Miami mentality and guys like Sam will bring it back. Love watching that video

How tall is he actually? Buddy says to 5'5" - 5'6" and he saw him twice . Seen a few sites list him at 5'8".

anyone really know how tall he is?

Advertisement
Steve Smith

Steve ran 4.4 at the combine and weighed in at 184 which is actually smaller than Sam.

Same type of explosion and the same type of nasty attitude.

No need to be bleak here lol

WHy put them expectations on him?

Steve Smith

Steve ran 4.4 at the combine and weighed in at 184 which is actually smaller than Sam.

Same type of explosion and the same type of nasty attitude.

No need to be bleak here lol

WHy put them expectations on him?

Nah, I don't EXPECT him to be Steve Smith lmao

I was just making the comparison to his style of play and physical profile. There are too many other factors involved to say you expect the kid to be one of the best receivers of all times lol

Advertisement
Bruce starts over Berrios day 1 no doubt. And im not a berrios hater by any means, I just don't think he can break tackles worth a ****. Bruce is the biggest playmaker we've picked up since Duke. Size isn't great but I'll be damned if this kid doesn't have the highest of high caliber athleticism and drive.

I haven't paid much attention to him because Al has me conditioned just losing his sort anyway. Now that we might actually keep him, I watched. Wow. Kid is old Cane. Kaaya and him together for two years with a real QB coach(Mark not his baby boy) are going to be eyepoping. Only negative I saw was carrying the ball a little exposed, but who cares.

I saw too much dancing at the LOS. But all that will be fixed very quickly with Dugans (or any college WR coach for that matter).

No need to fix what clearly works... It worked in the video... Consistently beat his man off the LOS by "dancing"

But I will agree with that it might be too much... And that dugans will minimize it to the point were he isn't wasting time on making moves at the LOS...

In 1 on 1 drills, u need to create separation, u are the only thing the db has to worry about...

So basically I'm agreeing with you, I just wouldn't call it dancing... I'd say he was smart to do it because it made him look great...

Love the swag

Go Canes

Advertisement
I know one thing he better be tucking that ball instead holding it out in one hand at the next level where they will strip him like crazy doing that crap. Otherwise he is an explosive talent just needs to do some fundamentals.

He's just doing that in 7on7 because there are no fumbles.

Yep - do people really think he carries the ball like that?

Plus he's just doing it for show.

This

For all of the questions about his speed, is there footage of him getting run down that I'm missing? I mean, no he ain't Dalvin Cook but **** you would think my ***** runs like Scotty the way people talk about him on here

Advertisement
If you have watched Sam Bruce over the years you would know that each year he gained an extra gear. From his days at uschool to this year he had gotten a lot faster. We can expect for him to continue that jump when he gets a college program training him. Remember dorsett didn't come in running anything close to a 4.3 40. Kids improve their speed all the time at Miami. With that being said Bruce has more than enough speed and can be explosive with the ball in his hand when he gets the opportunity. People love to talk about Sam Bruce size but if you haven't noticed he is not small by any means he weighs about 185+ and he can catch a pass over anyone no matter the height of the db....

What I like - he's fearless, attacks the ball, goes over the middle, has big hands.

What I don't like - He looks like too much of a strider sometimes, even though he's small, and the way he runs in the open field. A lot of times he'll come to complete stops to let the defender go by, cuts laterally or backwards, jumps, or spins. All that stops your forward momentum. It looks great, but it doesn't lead to any extra yardage. It's something you can get away with at the High School level, but not in College. Bruce is more start and stop quickness vs. quickness in changing directions while moving forward. This is why I think his ceiling is limited.

For all the guys claiming he's such an explosive playmaker, how do you explain the 9 yards per catch on a team full of weapons where the D couldn't key on only Sam. Honest question for those who didn't just watch his highlight video but actually watched his games.

For any of you sissified faCgits who will feel the need to run in the ring like Steve Lombardi to rescue Sam's reputation with the "he's the best player in the world so stop ripping our kids" bullshyt here's a preemptive eat my ***.

What I don't like - He looks like too much of a strider sometimes, even though he's small, and the way he runs in the open field. A lot of times he'll come to complete stops to let the defender go by, cuts laterally or backwards, jumps, or spins. All that stops your forward momentum. It looks great, but it doesn't lead to any extra yardage. It's something you can get away with at the High School level, but not in College. Bruce is more start and stop quickness vs. quickness in changing directions while moving forward. This is why I think his ceiling is limited.

Interesting point. This is why Devin Hester was so much more of a playmaker than Reggie Bush in the NFL. He's a downhill cutter.

Advertisement
Back