The truth about Mario

Mario oversaw a game plan that not only had a chance to win on both sides of the ball....but DID. When I watch the Clemson, Alabama, UNC and bowl games Miami played, whatever game plan Manny and co. came up with had no chance. There is no way possible with the talent Miami has to not be competitive every game. At least respectful competition. I didn't even get into the last 3 games of 2019. Good coaches exploit the other teams weakness and keep hammering it....when was the last time Miami won a game because of mismatches? Sh*t, when was the last time a formation or receiver was wide open because of a mismatch? I know there are some...but not enough.
Exactly I see this all the time especially when we have byes.

We had months to prepare for bama’s defense and Lashlee did the same crap he did last year.

And manny’s defense is the same garbage that Baker was running…dlineman out for themselves ….the same delayed blitzes that the offense sees a mile away and knows exactly where to go with the ball since of course our players declare themselves with 14 seconds left on the play clock.

Advertisement
If we **** this up again, we deserve some empty suit wimp like Fleck coming to town. Embarrassing ****.
Make Mario happen!

Its not relevant???? That's a new one, lmaoooooo. Let's ignore five years of his career because it doesn't fit the narrative.
First time coach who took over an upstart program that won 15 games in its first 5 years. He did win his conference year 4. This is not a knock on Butch Davis. He is year 5 at FIU and has not won his conference. You think FIU is an easy place to win? Should we give a meh to Howard for being 58-74 at FAU?

Last edited:
Honestly, I wouldn't even be mad if Mario was Richt at Georgia 2.0 here. We need a hire that signifies that this university is COMMITTED to its program. For ****sake 10 wins a year at miami SHOULDNT BE THIS HARD. Thats step one imo. The national title in 11 months with new coach ______ delusions are dead right now.

*not a Mario stan, but that Ohio state game and how they looked made me much more of a believer*

Advertisement
I use to be down on Mario, but he has spent time under some of the best in the business. He's smart enough to learn the things that set those guys apart. If we can bring him in, do it. Maybe, he goes all Richt and doesn't make it as expensive as he could(wishful thinking, I would jam UM) One of the many things that MSU showed was the horrible lack of preparation on our part. How the FACK do you not practice tackling or blocking? How do you not prepare for the physical aspect of the game? It was amateur hour at its finest. Comes from the top. Blake & Manny need to go. If not, say bye to ever being relevant again. Maybe they'll televise the annual pillow fight between the Canes and Noles?!

Go Canes?

I actually ran the numbers in another thread that I'm not going to bother looking for. Long story short: Cristobal's winning percentage for his career at FIU was 9% higher than his predecessor (Strock). It was something like .340 to .270. I don't remember the exact % bout it was around that. Butch's career percentage at FIU is around .510, compared to his predecessors that were around .320. Butch was almost 20% better than his predecessors. The argument that Cristobal significantly improved FIU doesn't really hold water. Davis beats Cristobal if you are discussing who did more for FIU compared to their respective predecessors. Doesn't mean that I'd rather have Butch over Cristobal for UM HC, but no need to exaggerate someone's accomplishments to try to win an argument.

Fair points, but if we are actually going to analyze the FIU years (and compare apples to apples), you have to start with Strock.

Strock's first 3 years were as a Division I-AA independent, and then he was in the Division I-A Sun Belt for 2 years. Strock's wins per year were 5, 2, and 3 (I-AA independent years) and 5 and 0 (I-A Sun Belt years). Mario coached for 6 years, all in the Division I-A Sun Belt, and won 1, 5, 3, 7, 8, and 3 games.

Then you take a look at the opponents, since many of both Strock's and Mario's losses came to MUCH MUCH better teams, particularly OOC teams.

Strock Y1 (I-AA) - toughest opponents were losses to Maine, FAU, and Bethune-Cookman
Strock Y2 (I-AA) - toughest opponents were losses to Maine, FAU, Georgia Southern, and Bethune-Cookman
Strock Y3 (I-AA) - toughest opponents were losses to Western Kentucky, Georgia Southern, and Bethune-Cookman
Strock Y4 (I-A) - toughest opponents were losses to Kansas State and Texas Tech
Strock Y5 (I-A) - toughest opponents were losses to USF, Maryland, Alabama, and Miami

Mario Y1 (I-A) - toughest opponents were losses to Penn State, Kansas, Maryland, Arkansas, and Miami
Mario Y2 (I-A) - toughest opponents were losses to Iowa, Kansas, and USF
Mario Y3 (I-A) - toughest opponents were losses to Alabama, Rutgers, and Florida
Mario Y4 (I-A) - toughest opponents were losses to Texas A&M, Rutgers, Maryland, and Pitt
Mario Y5 (I-A) - toughest opponents were losses to Duke and Marshall, though they beat Louisville and UCF
Mario Y6 (I-A) - toughest opponents were losses to Duke, Louisville, and UCF

Strock piled up 10 of his 15 wins in I-AA when his toughest opponents were not I-A teams. Mario coached all 6 of his years in I-A and played a fairly brutal OOC schedule (for a school that had just made the jump from I-AA), so Mario took a lot of tough losses, while doing better and better in the Sun Belt.

Bottom line, if someone can't see that Mario significantly improved FIU over his tenure (with the exception of his final year, when his battle with Pete got out-of-hand), then I don't know what constitutes "program-building".

We wanted Richt gone after a 10 win season. What makes you think Mario is anymore than that?
Because he’s a better recruiter and he’s going to put emphasis on having a fundamentally sound line on both sides.

He will try to hire the best assistants. And I hate head coaches that try to coordinators as well. It rarely works.

That is huge for me. We can’t have an army of analysts like bama so you have to hire great assistants. You can’t afford to waste on field positions on your son and thomas brown “the OC”.

You have still yet to give me any similarities between richt and Mario. I told you why I believe he’s not so please explain why Mario is Richt other than your “belief”.

It's actually a thread for those who want to be on the record about not slurping/thinking Mario is the answer.

I can see you are a Mario slurper and are def in your feelings.
If you're ever in ATL lets meet up for a chat and you keep this same energy you have now.
I would love to oblige you.

I'm scurred.

Advertisement
I'm a huge Mario fan.

I even wanted him over CMR back in 2015.

With that said, have we not learned anything if we don't take our time, do a thorough search and interview all candidates this next time around?

Absolutely, Mario should be at the top of the list of candidates. But does anyone else not see the hypocrisy behind screaming at Blake James for hiring Manny and not interviewing anyone else, to only turn around and fire Manny and just hire Mario while also not interviewing any other candidates?
This is the elephant in the room. The foundation of the process of hiring is rotten with incompetent people. The last few hires with the exception of MR, are the ceiling of this chicken coop. They wouldn’t know a Schnelly from a Dorito if it hit them in the face. God help us.

Advertisement
Because he’s a better recruiter and he’s going to put emphasis on having a fundamentally sound line on both sides.

He will try to hire the best assistants. And I hate head coaches that try to coordinators as well. It rarely works.

That is huge for me. We can’t have an army of analysts like bama so you have to hire great assistants. You can’t afford to waste on field positions on your son and thomas brown “the OC”.

You have still yet to give me any similarities between richt and Mario. I told you why I believe he’s not so please explain why Mario is Richt other than your “belief”.

I have explained to you. Mario hasn't proven he can lead any team to any type of championship. We as fans don't accept anything less. Hence 9-10 win seasons and being upset with it.

Technically we are both are basing on beliefs, because you have no proof that he will be able to bring in his staff the way he wants....especially if he gets the pay day like everyone is expecting him to (along with the buyout).

Advertisement
Why are we so obsessed with college football coaches ? If we are scared about recruitment all we have to do is win and have a coach who knows what a good football player looks like and we should be fine

Sun Belt records
Strock 3-11
Cristobal 20-26
Turner 7-17

FIU has 1 Sun Belt Conference championship in its history? Cristobal was the head coach.
Good point.

I'm with most when I don't care much about FIU which is why I just called it meh in my original post. I care about P5 records and games.

But this was a good fact.

Advertisement
Back