The talk about Tate's weak arm is BS

lurk

Recruit
Link: Tate's arm strength video

I, like MOST other TRUE cane fans, just want the best QB to start for the Canes.

There's a lot to recommend Jarren, and alot to recommend Kosi.

But the constant knock against Tate's arm strength had me worried about him. Unless he hurt his arm after the above highlights were filmed, the detractors of Tate and his arm strength are full of crap.

Glad I found this... especially IF Tate is the named starter.

Now, I have full confidence in each of the three combatants/contestants.

Advertisement
I think Tate's "arm strength" narrative is really tied to his mechanics. Any time a coach comes in and tweaks a QB's mechanics there's going to be a learning curve, and that's usually going to manifest as "arm strength" - e.g. the ball doesn't seem to get there as fast, passes sail, accuracy suffers etc.

Now for Tate, who isn't a big QB, he can sling it down field but you'll notice in the videos him really having to wind up and push the ball in order to do that. Enos is working on all the QBs having a tighter, more compact throwing motion. For now, especially in the limited practice reps we've seen, it's going to look like he has a noodle arm because he's trying to tighten up his mechanics. But the good news for Tate is that if he can do what Enos is preaching, that ball will eventually come out a lot faster and his ceiling as a passer will be much higher. IMO of course.

Advertisement
Tate can throw the ball . . .

1565461419783.jpeg

Advertisement
To tack on to what ghost said, throwing the deep bomb and throwing the deep out are two different things. Tate has not proven he can throw a deep out, which is a different type of arm strength. Quarterbacks have succeeded without that but generally have great anticipation to compensate and it makes it easier for the defense to take away part of the field.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Arm strength isn't the deep ball. The deep ball is much more related to timing (not counting a hail mary where you have to muscle it up). Measure arm strength on the 15 yard out. The seam pass where you need the strength to control the ball over the LB & before the safety gets there. The crossing route, the comeback, throwing outside the hash, etc.

Almost every QB in P5 has enough arm to throw the deep ball, but that has nothing to do with measuring arm strength.

Advertisement
Back