The Talent Debate

Probably not the best idea to assume they can sign 30+ impact incoming freshmen in one season. Even if they pull in the nation's top recruiting class, there's no way to replace all that depth immediately. The cream will eventually rise to the top. Guys who can't play will get pushed to the sidelines. Even the 2001 team had a bunch of guys who weren't awesome.

Advertisement
Why are people trying to get rid of Juwon Young?

The kid only has 2 more years, and Shaq already mentioned him being 1 of the leaders of the LB group ... That kid can play, and will help this team.

Some of y'all are taking your EA sports NCAA Football Dynasty prowess a little too seriously ...

Even if we signed the #1 class, there will still be 10 of the new guys that won't pan out. It's crazy to dump so many players at once in hopes of MAYBE replacing them with better players. We need those bodies in practice as well. Also, we have no clue what injuries, arrests, or suspensions may come. We might NEED some of those guys we booted. Look at our LB situation until now. How badly did it hurt us having what, 4 of them kicked off the team? We need bodies, even if they aren't starters, or even projected contributors. You never know when they will be needed.
Probably not the best idea to assume they can sign 30+ impact incoming freshmen in one season. Even if they pull in the nation's top recruiting class, there's no way to replace all that depth immediately. The cream will eventually rise to the top. Guys who can't play will get pushed to the sidelines. Even the 2001 team had a bunch of guys who weren't awesome.

I keep hearing all the same garbage. "Not enough proven receivers and cornerbacks. Struggling o-linemen. No home run threat at tailback". That's right without those things, there's no chance to go undefeated and win a championship. I'm talking about winning 9, maybe 10 regular season games and winning the coastal. Look at the f'ing schedule. It's not that tough. Do you think the recievers/corners/o-line/running backs are any better at VT, GT, Duke, UNC, Virgnia or Pitt? Of course not. All those teams would trade talent for talent with Miami 10 times out of 10. So, unless you don't believe the new staff will flop or you're sure injuries will ravage the 2016 'Canes, How can you expect 7 or 8 wins?

I said 8 or 9 was likely, with a shot at 10.

So we basically agree.

Advertisement
Being ranked 20th in recruiting isn't horrible. Like some have said we have lost a ton of games to teams ranked lower. The problem at Miami has not been the talent level. Sure it could be better but our main isssue is we haven't maximized the talent we do get since Butch was here. Player development and putting guys in the right place to succeed. If this new staff can do those two things then Miami will get back to being relevant in college football.

If we lose again to FSU forget it wasted season. I can't take 7 years in a row man! Actually this poster is right I didnt even realize the fog clouded my judgement. The Canes havent won a game vs The Noles during the season at that stadium. The lone exception was that Orange Bowl game way back when and 151st Wide Right episode! I think DJ Williams was still playing on that team!

That is how bad it has been around here. Last time Canes beat FSU Shannon was annoited "The Savior" and Swasey was not a god but The God!

If we win vs FSU and only win 9 games I will take it! Hoping for a ND victory in there would be nice since we have been completely embarrassed the last 2 times we played them! We Looked like a JV vs Varsity team complete with 2 perfectly thrown TD drops complements of Philip Dorsett!

The OP was discussing Miami's talent (as defined by 247's recruiting rankings) versus the top teams in FBS. Only a total homer would say Miami is a top 10 team in regards to total talent but top 20 is very reasonable. That talent was enough to muster 8 wins despite the worst coaching staff in FBS. Even if the new staff is only a marginal upgrade, expecting less than 9 regular season wins with this schedule is pathetic. Kicking FSU's *** is a given. They needed desperation fourth quarter comebacks to beat Al Golden's coaching. Miami beats them easy this year.

I don't believe that a roster full of kids chosen and evaluated by Al Golden is going to win 10 games. But that's just an opinion.

I think Richt has proven he's capable of winning 10 games, but that's with his own roster of players.

I think we have some elite guys, but not enough. I think this team is top-heavy. I think the middle-of-the-pack, 2/3* type guys that Golden/D'Onofrio had to watch film on and evaluate and decide to offer are probably not very good.

That's my hunch.

I think that Richt looks at guys like Langham and Gus and Redwine and Young... guys we think are decent.... and says "are you ****ing kidding me?"

That's what I think. I think he's used to seeing better talent and he comes off as not being very impressed by what he's seen so far.

Take it with a grain of salt

Agree. Mandel said he spoke with diaz when he was in miami interviewing richt. Said diaz didn't flat out say guys weren't that good but basically said there was only 3 or 4 guys on defense that he thinks has shown to be players.

Wow! That is a damning statement but I'm not shocked. I'm am somewhat surprised he said he was only impressed with 3-4 players. That's brutal. The good news is that we can all expect to see a major infusion of Miami caliber talent in the next few years.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back