The Talent Debate

252cane

All-ACC
Just to give people a sense of talent on the roster compared to other schools i went to 247 for the team talent ranking. It is a list based on what every player on the roster was ranked coming out.

Everybody wants to compare what michigan did last year to miami this year. Well according to 247 michigan roster ranked 9th and miami was ranked 20th. It shows hoke did a much better job recruiting than golden.

You can look at the list here for you to check out.
2015 College Football Team Talent Composite

Advertisement
Every die hard knows this team is seriously devoed of talent and depth.

And that's 247, which seems to rank us higher than other services. If it were a rivals report, we'd not even be in the top 25 unfortunately

But that seems to coincide with our results on the field. Have to recruit better. Lucky for us, Richt seems to be doing an OK job so far with the 2017 class. 2016 close was disappointing IMO

Thanks for posting that.

But I think the point most people are making is that there are only 2 teams ahead of us on that list on our schedule.

So, going 10-2 is not unreasonable. UNC is ranked 28th, and we get them at home.

The "can we win the natty next year" crowd might be a bit unrealistic. But the "10 win is a must" crowd is basing their opinion on the link you just posted. Our roster is more talented than everyone else on the schedule, except FSU and ND.

Advertisement
So tell me, what was Dukes? Gts? North Carolinas? They won the Coastal, so why can't we?

So, to the guys knocking our talent ... How do Michigan State, Baylor, and TCU compete at the highest levels?

Their rosters are below ours ...

:11263323124_b207743

Thanks for posting that.

But I think the point most people are making is that there are only 2 teams ahead of us on that list on our schedule.

So, going 10-2 is not unreasonable. UNC is ranked 28th, and we get them at home.

The "can we win the natty next year" crowd might be a bit unrealistic. But the "10 win is a must" crowd is basing their opinion on the link you just posted. Our roster is more talented than everyone else on the schedule, except FSU and ND.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner!!

Advertisement
So, to the guys knocking our talent ... How do Michigan State, Baylor, and TCU compete at the highest levels?

How did UNC have such a great year last year, also? Another team that is below us on this chart.

Thanks for posting that.

Except it doesn't work that way. It's basic combinatorial math. Just because you're more talented than team X doesn't mean your odds of beating them are 100%.

We might be a couple slots ahead of a team like Virginia Tech. So let's say our chance of beating them on talent alone is 60/40. We might be a couple slots ahead of Duke. Let's say our chance of beating them is also 60/40.

In a two game season of Miami vs Duke and Va Tech...if the odds of winning each game is 60%, you might say we should go 2-0. But you'd be wrong. Our odds are 60% x 60% which is 36%. So odds are GREATER that you WON'T go 2-0 in that scenario

The more games you string together, the lower the odds of a clean sweep, especially if the talent gap is small.

For that reason, it's very unlikely that we will win 10 games.

Last edited:
Every die hard knows this team is seriously devoed of talent and depth.

True but with good coaching the sum of the parts should exceed the individual talent rankings. Look at Oklahoma as an example of a team that seems to outperform their talent ranking.

Advertisement

Its called having great evaluations and guys who fit your scheme. They have done a good job of getting the right 3 stars and they have developed them.

Advertisement
Basically the math suggests that we should win somewhere between 7-8 games.

So then Golden wasn't the problem these past 5 years. Gotcha.

Actually Golden was part of the problem, but not the whole problem in my opinion.

The biggest failure of the program in the last 5 years has been recruiting. Golden's recruiting classes have been dismal. Part of that is Golden and company getting no respect locally, part of that is a scheme nobody wanted to play in, and part of that is the University not wanting to spend money on basics like an indoor practice facility and an on-campus stadium that would attract recruits

We've got more than enough talent to win the conference and go against Clemson in the conference championship...

I'd be a bit disappointed if that didn't happen....

Just to give people a sense of talent on the roster compared to other schools i went to 247 for the team talent ranking. It is a list based on what every player on the roster was ranked coming out.

Everybody wants to compare what michigan did last year to miami this year. Well according to 247 michigan roster ranked 9th and miami was ranked 20th. It shows hoke did a much better job recruiting than golden.

You can look at the list here for you to check out.
2015 College Football Team Talent Composite

Advertisement
Back