The Tale of Dan Enos: Failure In Numbers

But OP isn't waiting to start the negative point of view and is only showing his negative history instead of what people think of him now. so why aren't you on his case for only sharing one sided facts?

I see the hate will always be present on CIS.
Ahhhhhhh, let me think loooooong and hard about this one......oh, I don't know, maybe, just maybe, opinions AREN'T facts!! OP posted the dudes numbers. The numbers are the numbers, and the numbers suck. I am not even against this guy. But I have enough common sense to do simple math and comparisons and realize, that this hire isn't a home run sure thing.....based on the numbers.

I will wait and see.

Advertisement
Ahhhhhhh, let me think loooooong and hard about this one......oh, I don't know, maybe, just maybe, opinions AREN'T facts!! OP posted the dudes numbers. The numbers are the numbers, and the numbers suck. I am not even against this guy. But I have enough common sense to do simple math and comparisons and realize, that this hire isn't a home run sure thing.....based on the numbers.

I will wait and see.

My point is that Ga, Alabama and other p5 schools wanted the man and in his past, his efficiency numbers were pretty **** good but there was no mention of these "FACTS" in OP post.

Post all facts and let people decide is all that ask and you should be asking for the same thing if you believe in being objective.

He had the same exact level of athlete as the rest of the MAC. Toledo just finished in the Top 20 S&P+ offense AGAIN this year. While breaking in a new QB. What exactly was his excuse at Central Michigan?

Well Toledo is in a better football state and recruits Florida pretty **** well.

WTH has a valid point. I’m not as pessimistic about the hire but that opinion is certainly invited. Let’s not get into the same homer state as Richts tenure (early on). Mistakes will be made by any coach.

Clear-eyed take, OP. A weak hire. But it comes as no surprise. The prolonged search meant that Diaz was swinging and missing on his preferred candidates.

He'll be better than Richt&Richt, but almost anyone would. His stats don't indicate he will be much better, though. And Saban didn't give much of an endorsement either, doing nothing to try to keep him.

It's both comical and unsettling that Manny would post a gif suggesting he hit a homerun, when he clearly failed to get any of his primary targets and had to settle for someone that was not on anyone's list (including his).

Agree 1000%

Advertisement
Streeter, Qb coach from Clemson, would have been a splash: young, spread and resume which includes National Championships and development
of Watsun, Bryant, and Lawrence. Think it would have been easier to sell Qbs come play for the guy whose coached Clemson's last 3 Qbs vs.
the 50 year old coach who was going to be Nick Saban's OC because Locksley left.

Yeah, you're right, being Nick Saban's offensive coordinator is no "big splash".

Hey, fun thought, some say Nick Saban is the best college football coach in history.

Another fun fact, Nick Saban has won 6 National Championships, thus others, unlike you, believe that Nick Saban has his pick of the litter concerning assistant coaches. And once selected to work with him college football experts consider that to be tall cotton and the anointing of a potential superstar coach.

And the fact he is one step from a grave at a decrepit 50 years old (probably an Alzheimer's sufferer), do you think you can arrange to have him euthanized and put out of his misery? Thanking you in advance.

Total offense isn't really a metric of substance.

Give me efficiency stats

Here's his efficiency stats at CMU vs the 3 years prior. Doesn't post a nice picture.

The Previous 3 years and His offenses at CMU were ranked by FO as:
2007: 13th
2008: 30th
2009: 17th

2010: 80th
2011: 74th
2012: 71st
2013: 103rd
2014: 61st

Yeah, you're right, being Nick Saban's offensive coordinator is no "big splash".

Hey, fun thought, some say Nick Saban is the best college football coach in history.

Another fun fact, Nick Saban has won 6 National Championships, thus others, unlike you, believe that Nick Saban has his pick of the litter concerning assistant coaches. And once selected to work with him college football experts consider that to be tall cotton and the anointing of a potential superstar coach.

And the fact he is one step from a grave at a decrepit 50 years old (probably an Alzheimer's sufferer), do you think you can arrange to have him euthanized and put out of his misery? Thanking you in advance.
Listen I agree with everything you said about Nick Saban, only Manny Diaz did not hire Nick Saban.

Advertisement
Here's his efficiency stats at CMU vs the 3 years prior. Doesn't post a nice picture.

Brutal. Especially considering his entire offensive identity is based around smashing the team in front of you, i.e. offensive efficiency.

Listen I agree with everything you said about Nick Saban, only Manny Diaz did not hire Nick Saban.

Oh, I see.

My apologies for my fun facts, but here I go again...Georgia didn't hire Nick Saban either. And FSU didn't hire Saban, but did hire his assistant, Jimbo Fisher, who won a National Championship for the Seminoles.

When a coach has had the golden opportunity to have served under Nick Saban if he is even halfway smart he will come away schooled on how one finds greatness in the world of college football. If it's a coin flip on a coordinator hire I will go with the Saban trained coach every single time.

Gotta agree here, he hasn’t shown anything and the little we have aint all that great, people all happy that bama and UGA wanted him, that dont mean ****, remember mcltooth the shark ****** was a OC at bama too so by that “bama wanted him” logic he must be a great coach LOL

Advertisement

“Uh uh, but football people like him dog! What about stats like total points on Thursdays, bro? Alabama OC bro stop hating!”

And as an OC?

Oh, I see.

My apologies for my fun facts, but here I go again...Georgia didn't hire Nick Saban either. And FSU didn't hire Saban, but did hire his assistant, Jimbo Fisher, who won a National Championship for the Seminoles.

When a coach has had the golden opportunity to have served under Nick Saban if he is even halfway smart he will come away schooled on how one finds greatness in the world of college football. If it's a coin flip on a coordinator hire I will go with the Saban trained coach every single time.
FSU and Georgia hired coaches who had coached with Nick Saban for years and were both proven commodities as co-ordinators,
not a position coach who had a cup of coffee at Alabama. One season at Bama hardly qualifies you as Saban trained.

Advertisement
FSU and Georgia hired coaches who had coached with Nick Saban for years and were both proven commodities as co-ordinators,
not a position coach who had a cup of coffee at Alabama. One season at Bama hardly qualifies you as Saban trained.

The oxygen for you Herd members is negativity. No matter the situation you whiners will find a way to belittle the Canes football program.

Well, apparently while Enos was kicked-back, with his feet on his desk sipping on a fine Columbian coffee Nick Saban saw something that you, the guy much, much smarter than Saban, doesn't see.

Excuse me for my bad manners, but I am going with Saban's opinion over yours, despite knowing you've been coaching at the highest levels of college football over the last 30 years and have 6 National Championships on your resume.

I will wait and see.

Based on the numbers...why did Saban hire the man? Based on the numbers why did Saban want the man to stay in Tuscaloosa as the Tide's Offensive Coordinator? Is it your opinion that Saban is stupid and makes terrible hires?

I will wait and see your response.

People are enjoying hyping themselves over the “Bama OC” title he’s held for two weeks, even though he’s never called a single play for Saban.

There’s also rampant and furious *********ion due to the fact that Georgia is rumored to have offered, too. That’s fine, but if you look deeper than that at metrics of substance and numbers that quantify his actual output coaching offenses, there isn’t much to get excited about. There isn’t a pattern showing a history of routinely fielding great offenses.

Let’s look at the results. This is a post examining cold hard facts and indisputable numbers — Not one about who’s rumored to be pursuing him, or his job title, but objective stats. Stats Penos can’t escape.

He was the head coach at Central Michigan from 2010-2014. He had full control of that team. He could’ve run any offense he wanted. Here’s what he did:

Total offense:
2010: 49th
2011: 57th
2012: 64th
2013: 110th
2014: 70th

Scoring Offense:
2010: 82nd
2011: 91st
2012: 64th
2013: 96th
2014: 81st

So he winds up in Arkansas with that Butthead looking weirdo Belima. Here’s what he does as offensive coordinator:

Total Offenss:
2015: 25th
2016: 54th
2017: 94th

Scoring Offense:
2015: 27th
2016: 57th
2017: 61st

If you look at just his resume alone, he’s a terrible candidate. Not only is he not a fit for the style that best suits us AND the one Manny claimed to want, he has nothing in his history to indicate he’s capable of engineering highly powered and productive offenses. He can’t move the ball. He can’t score.

You throw his resume up against a guy like Fedora’s and he gets absolutely run out of the building. People like him because they hear “Alabama offensive coordinator” and we’re so desperate to be good we’ll like anything, so they build a small fire and grunt around it “hur hur Saban hur hur Bama OC” without delving any further into his past production or style.

Coming back to the facts:

Penos produced ONE respectable offensive unit in SEVEN seasons.

We can post homerun gifs or talk about which coaches wanted him, but when it has come time to put a successful offense on the field, he’s failed to do so 85% of the seasons he’s coached.

And those remain the facts.

I hope he has some late-career revelation that turns him into an offensive savant, but as of now, all he’s proven is that’s he’s a journeyman guy running an offense that seldom produces and is pretty opposite of what Manny said he wanted.

God help us all.
If Fedora is such a star, please explain to me why NO ONE has hired him. I have a novel suggestion: Give the poor guy a chance and see how he does. BTW I’ll take Nick Saban’s evaluation before anyone posting on a fan’s messageboard

Last edited by a moderator:
“Uh uh, but football people like him dog! What about stats like total points on Thursdays, bro? Alabama OC bro stop hating!”

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

You make fools appear to be informed and bright. Yes, I know, that's another of your Gator traits!

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back