The Tale of Dan Enos: Failure In Numbers

Yep. This is literally the only reason people are excited. The SEC little brother syndrome is strong with our fanbase.

This dude. I'm sure a lot of other posts were against the hire from Day 1. But I'm horrible at remembering posters. But the dude with the Jimmy Johnson avatar and Jimmy Johnson user name was front and center from Day 1 against the hire on every board I'm on. He can't be repped enough for the work he put in trying to warn everybody.

Advertisement
Advertisement
People are enjoying hyping themselves over the “Bama OC” title he’s held for two weeks, even though he’s never called a single play for Saban.

There’s also rampant and furious *********ion due to the fact that Georgia is rumored to have offered, too. That’s fine, but if you look deeper than that at metrics of substance and numbers that quantify his actual output coaching offenses, there isn’t much to get excited about. There isn’t a pattern showing a history of routinely fielding great offenses.

Let’s look at the results. This is a post examining cold hard facts and indisputable numbers — Not one about who’s rumored to be pursuing him, or his job title, but objective stats. Stats Penos can’t escape.

He was the head coach at Central Michigan from 2010-2014. He had full control of that team. He could’ve run any offense he wanted. Here’s what he did:

Total offense:
2010: 49th
2011: 57th
2012: 64th
2013: 110th
2014: 70th

Scoring Offense:
2010: 82nd
2011: 91st
2012: 64th
2013: 96th
2014: 81st

So he winds up in Arkansas with that Butthead looking weirdo Belima. Here’s what he does as offensive coordinator:

Total Offenss:
2015: 25th
2016: 54th
2017: 94th

Scoring Offense:
2015: 27th
2016: 57th
2017: 61st

If you look at just his resume alone, he’s a terrible candidate. Not only is he not a fit for the style that best suits us AND the one Manny claimed to want, he has nothing in his history to indicate he’s capable of engineering highly powered and productive offenses. He can’t move the ball. He can’t score.

You throw his resume up against a guy like Fedora’s and he gets absolutely run out of the building. People like him because they hear “Alabama offensive coordinator” and we’re so desperate to be good we’ll like anything, so they build a small fire and grunt around it “hur hur Saban hur hur Bama OC” without delving any further into his past production or style.

Coming back to the facts:

Penos produced ONE respectable offensive unit in SEVEN seasons.

We can post homerun gifs or talk about which coaches wanted him, but when it has come time to put a successful offense on the field, he’s failed to do so 85% of the seasons he’s coached.

And those remain the facts.

I hope he has some late-career revelation that turns him into an offensive savant, but as of now, all he’s proven is that’s he’s a journeyman guy running an offense that seldom produces and is pretty opposite of what Manny said he wanted.

God help us all.
Absolutely fu**in nailed it here!

Checks this thread to see if I had a trash take.

Fellow mopes...you make a good point. Noted.

Not going to provide a take on this one. Just gonna let it play out.

I did not. It seems in this very thread I had the definition of positive internet discourse. Thank you this post, WhatTheHell...and thank you to whoever bumped this thread.

Advertisement
Our only options were Richt and this guy?
Paging WhatTheHell, you're needed in this thread:

I'm one of them. I heard the stole him from Saban story and that was enough of a co-sign for me. Now that I see OP's original post and Enos' #s I better understand the situation we find ourselves in.
It's rough, but we did win and that's about allammy has to work with...so if he doesn't want to fall off the coaching cliff, he better figure out that Enos is not the guy...Even Dabo struggled early on with his decision making, but the dude got it right eventually, obviously

This dude. I'm sure a lot of other posts were against the hire from Day 1. But I'm horrible at remembering posters. But the dude with the Jimmy Johnson avatar and Jimmy Johnson user name was front and center from Day 1 against the hire on every board I'm on. He can't be repped enough for the work he put in trying to warn everybody.
Thanks, and right back at you. I would love to have been wrong but Enos is who we thought he was. He needs Bama or Wisconsin’s OL to make his offense work. We would have been better off with Applewhite.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Posters in these threads from January: OH MY GOD WE STOLE HIM FROM SABAN AND SMART!!!!

Me: The fact that those guys wanted him, is exactly why I don't. Smart doesn't know the first f*cking thing about offensive football and what he wants to run is trash.

Same Posters: Hahahahaha. You're such an idiot, not wanting the offensive system that Smart and Saban want.

Now look at UGA's offense and Enos' offense. Both look like outdated sh*t this year.

Advertisement
Back