The Tale of Dan Enos: Failure In Numbers

Advertisement
There's a reason uga and bama offered him OC jobs....even Sabin and Dabo had bad seasons before becoming champions...why not wait to see before judging him post bama?

Because some people are just negative by nature, no matter how feel good the moment, they always find a way to **** on the parade. Enjoy the hire and watch the next several years play out....block out the Negative Nancy's!!

Advertisement
People are enjoying hyping themselves over the “Bama OC” title he’s held for two weeks, even though he’s never called a single play for Saban.

There’s also rampant and furious *********ion due to the fact that Georgia is rumored to have offered, too. That’s fine, but if you look deeper than that at metrics of substance and numbers that quantify his actual output coaching offenses, there isn’t much to get excited about. There isn’t a pattern showing a history of routinely fielding great offenses.

Let’s look at the results. This is a post examining cold hard facts and indisputable numbers — Not one about who’s rumored to be pursuing him, or his job title, but objective stats. Stats Penos can’t escape.

He was the head coach at Central Michigan from 2010-2014. He had full control of that team. He could’ve run any offense he wanted. Here’s what he did:

Total offense:
2010: 49th
2011: 57th
2012: 64th
2013: 110th
2014: 70th

Scoring Offense:
2010: 82nd
2011: 91st
2012: 64th
2013: 96th
2014: 81st

So he winds up in Arkansas with that Butthead looking weirdo Belima. Here’s what he does as offensive coordinator:

Total Offenss:
2015: 25th
2016: 54th
2017: 94th

Scoring Offense:
2015: 27th
2016: 57th
2017: 61st

If you look at just his resume alone, he’s a terrible candidate. Not only is he not a fit for the style that best suits us AND the one Manny claimed to want, he has nothing in his history to indicate he’s capable of engineering highly powered and productive offenses. He can’t move the ball. He can’t score.

You throw his resume up against a guy like Fedora’s and he gets absolutely run out of the building. People like him because they hear “Alabama offensive coordinator” and we’re so desperate to be good we’ll like anything, so they build a small fire and grunt around it “hur hur Saban hur hur Bama OC” without delving any further into his past production or style.

Coming back to the facts:

Penos produced ONE respectable offensive unit in SEVEN seasons.

We can post homerun gifs or talk about which coaches wanted him, but when it has come time to put a successful offense on the field, he’s failed to do so 85% of the seasons he’s coached.

And those remain the facts.

I hope he has some late-career revelation that turns him into an offensive savant, but as of now, all he’s proven is that’s he’s a journeyman guy running an offense that seldom produces and is pretty opposite of what Manny said he wanted.

God help us all.
See it the same way you do, just hired a 50 year old coach that hasn't done a thing other than he had a cup of coffee on Nick Saban's staff.
If you're going to hire a position coach should have been Clemson's Qb coach Streeter, catch some lightning in a bottle someone who's been
around Swinney and the program and coached Watson, Bryant, and Lawerence, and runs a more spread type offense

Advertisement
Getting a coach to move from of Alabama to Miami is understandable if we have offered a decent amount of guaranteed salary (no state tax) since almost every UA coach moves on as soon as possible due to Nick Satan (remember his press Dolphins conference where he said "I will not be the Alabama coach and then boarded an aircraft for Tuscaloosa) being a total ****.

Clear-eyed take, OP. A weak hire. But it comes as no surprise. The prolonged search meant that Diaz was swinging and missing on his preferred candidates.

He'll be better than Richt&Richt, but almost anyone would. His stats don't indicate he will be much better, though. And Saban didn't give much of an endorsement either, doing nothing to try to keep him.

It's both comical and unsettling that Manny would post a gif suggesting he hit a homerun, when he clearly failed to get any of his primary targets and had to settle for someone that was not on anyone's list (including his).

Advertisement
Honestly, not sure what to think. As a QB coach, he is likely to be an upgrade. We can all agree on that; however, as an OC he has not coordinated top shelf offenses. That cannot be disputed. On the other hand, the ’Bama boards are up in arms over his departure. He was considered by many to be the best coach (other than Saban) on the staff. That carries considerable weight as those fans know good coaching when they see it.

Enos doesn’t necessarily run a pure spread or Air Raid-type offense yet Bama and UGA both wanted him to be their OC. Pro style/limited spread offenses tend to win championships and not pure spread offenses. On the other hand, the Bama’s, UGA’s and Clemson’s - teams that run pro spread offenses - all have rosters filled with top-notch talent and massive OL’s. We don’t or not yet.

Maybe Enos was pro style at Arkansas because that’s what Bielema wanted given Bielema’s past work at Wisconsin. Maybe Enos learned to appreciate more spread concepts while at Bama under Locksley.

No se. I WANT to believe this is the right guy and that Enos is a home run. I’m HOPING for the best and excited for Spring ball. Color me cautiously optimistic...

Let’s ride.
You are a legacy poster and your comments are always spot on. However, you need to remember where we've been for the past two decades then repeat to yourself in the shower that we just hired Alabama's QB coach, Associate Head Coach, and OC in waiting as our OC and beat out Georgia for his services. That should remove "cautiously optimistic" from your initial mindset.

You are a legacy poster and your comments are always spot on. However, you need to remember where we've been for the past two decades then repeat to yourself in the shower that we just hired Alabama's QB coach, Associate Head Coach, and OC in waiting as our OC and beat out Georgia for his services. That should remove "cautiously optimistic" from your initial mindset.

True. But, that’s tempered with nearly two decades of mediocrity and incredibly underachieving head coaches. I’m jumping on the Diaz/Enos bandwagon but I’m putting my seatbelt on and holding on to the handrail.

Advertisement
True. But, that’s tempered with nearly two decades of mediocrity and incredibly underachieving head coaches. I’m jumping on the Diaz/Enos bandwagon but I’m putting my seatbelt on and holding on to the handrail.
We've always been tempered bud and should continue to be. We've been through a ton and have lived it on the boards (even more brutal). Today and the next few days is about enjoying what you just highlighted in bold. Today, on paper, this is a home run hire and if you told me this would have happened two months ago I would have told you that you are clinically insane. Will Enos bring us back? That's unknown and depends on a combination of a multitude of factors. Should you be absolutely floored and elated that we just hired Dan Enos? No question.

Advertisement
Back