The smear campaign

Walton should know a lil bout recruiting and Miami since he is going through it right now. According to Walton, quoted in the Herald, all the fan negativity is definitely hurting Miami's recruiting.

6-7 hurts it way more. IMO

Tennessee went 5–7 (2–6 SEC) in 2013 and had a top 5 recruiting class last year.

Did Jones go 5-7 in year 4 at UT? You're comparing the same situation right? You wouldn't be an intellectually dishonest or intellectually incapable shill who would compare two completely different situations to try to prove your dumb point would you?

Advertisement
Local coaches telling recruits to go elsewhere is a much bigger problem than a handful of "fans" doing so. Same goes for a banner. If it actually sways a recruit, do you really believe that recruit was coming here?

Bottom line, if given the choice, would you rather play for a great coach with terrible fans OR a terrible coach with great fans?

Local coaches telling recruits to go elsewhere is a much bigger problem than a handful of "fans" doing so. Same goes for a banner. If it actually sways a recruit, do you really believe that recruit was coming here?

Bottom line, if given the choice, would you rather play for a great coach with terrible fans OR a terrible coach with great fans?
We can't even recruit AH where former Cane Rumph is HC. Let that sink in. That sort of arrangement should be a recruiting layup for a UM HC.

We can't even recruit AH where former Cane Rumph is HC. Let that sink in. That sort of arrangement should be a recruiting layup for a UM HC.

Or can't even land family members of former cane greats. Take a special kind of stupid.

This whole ugly story is about accountability. You can't win football games, or win at any large organized effort, without it.

- Last season, Golden had the opportunity and obligation to insist on some accountability, and passed.
- This season, Blake James had the opportunity and responsibility to insist on some accountability, and passed.
- Now, we're insisting.

Because Golden and James are the kind of guys they are, they naturally respond to demands for accountability by turning around and blaming US: "when this recruiting class collapses, the fans will be the ones accountable." This is a great line for them, because it changes the topic from them sucking, AND provides an excuse that can be used in the future.

So that does kind of suck for us. Giving them any kind of excuse is a bummer. But the necessary changes to UM football are not going to make themselves. Unless we keep howling, they will just keep on doing what they've been doing. I'm not personally in favor of dissuading recruits from attending by direct contact, but if "don't hurt recruiting" morphs into "you need to be saying that the U is a good place to go whenever you're talking in public," well, **** that.

Advertisement
The fans aren't driving recruits away... The 6-7 season, while not helping, is also not the biggest reason recruits are dropping.

Al's biggest recruiting problem right now is his reputation w SoFla kids. He's not seen as a straight shooter. He's made and broken promises to players, and they've let their feeling be known to their buds being recruited.

Can you give more detail on this? I've heard that there were major missteps in recruiting a couple of the marquis players this year but haven't heard any specifics.

Promises were made regarding playing time, position and opportunity to compete to players including several from S Florida. Some of these promises were broken. Players have friends being recruited and tell them what they really think.

Many players love Al. Many players do not... Unfortunately some in the later camp are from So Fla.

Will it work? Is there history of a programs fans sabotaging its own program and recruiting, and it resulting in head coach fired? What happens in 4 yr when we have a new coach, and the senior class is non-existent?

The thread title should be the truth smear campaign.

Yes! Ours! Back in '97. And I contend we are where we are today because of what occurred back then in the "Fire Butch" smear campaign. Read below. A short look back to the future.

I understand all the "Fire Golden", "Fire D'Onofrio" and/or
"Bring Butch Back" vitriol. Yeah, I get it. But, I also remember
the same vitriol after the 5 and 6 '97 season. This, the '14
version, is quite amateurish compared to us in '97. I think by
this time in'97, we had already been called out by national
sports publications as "The Worst Fan Base In College Football"!
Unfortunately for you guy's, nobody's listening.

Looking back we, the rabid fans demanding Davis' head for
"trashing the brand of the U", need to apologize for where we
are now.

Yeah, it's our fault. As we all know, Butch was able right the
ship and set up the the greatest football team ever in college
football. And as we often say, "the rest is history."

And NO I'm not saying anything like that will happen with this
staff. Please! No, what I'm saying is, after Butch left - our
reputation as fans - had an impact on coaches decisions to come
to Miami.

Whether they just didn't need to put up with "us" or they used
"us" as a negotiating chip. I don't know. What I do know, we end
up with Coker the choker.

After Coker, we end up with Shannon. Now, Shannon has gone on to
show us all how good a coach he really is. Three teams, two years
each. All as LB coach. He has not been able to move above "Position
Coach". All lateral moves, that tells it all. That's bad.
Especially for a former Head Coach. And not just any former Head
Coach, the former head coach of THEU!

That's embarrassing.

Just think, if those women in The Hecht Athletic Center didn't
show their courage "randy" Randy might still be our Head, no pun
intended, Coach.

So here we are, stuck with Al Golden and I apologize. I apologize
because I'm convinced that our vitriol after the 5 and 6 '97 season
was a factor in Butch deciding to leave TheU. Just as it had an
effect on negotiations with coaches after Coker and possibly why
we ended up with Golden.

You could never have convince us back then there would be these
consequences this many years later. But, here we are and I
apologize.

Or can't even land family members of former cane greats. Take a special kind of stupid.

I'm not interested in wasting another scholy on the likes of a Highsmith a bust, Or Lewis, a bust. Need I say more.

Advertisement
Walton should know a lil bout recruiting and Miami since he is going through it right now. According to Walton, quoted in the Herald, all the fan negativity is definitely hurting Miami's recruiting.

Then don't you think something should be done to make the fans happy? If our attitude is important then it should be considered in the decision process. It has not been considered important, so our negativity clearly is not important. You cannot have it both ways, we either matter of don't. The administration has allow or maybe even promoted this state of affairs, blame them for it not the fans.

Golden is a horrible coach and a worse human being. that is why we are losing recruits. period.

Who is sabotaging and smearing UM football more than Alfraud Gorlden? The guy has done everything he can to end UM football. Did UM consult with SI before hiring and retaining Alfraud?

"When you're winning, kids are very impressionable you know. That plays a big part of it too. When you're winning everybody wants to be a part of a winning program. And right now FSU has been winning and getting the fruit of their labor for winning. Miami is just going after kids they think can help their program out." Miami Central's Coach Roland Smith, a former Hurricane himself

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back