The Sh*t is about to hit the fan for the NCAA

I don’t see any way this can possibly work. State laws will not override the NCAA’s. Just like the NFL still banning weed for players that live in states where it is legal. If this passes and the schools start to compensate players the NCAA will punish the schools or kick them out. It will take years upon years for everyone to pass similar bills to take down the NCAA
The NFL enforcing the drug policy that the union has also agreed on is not the same thing as the NCAA going against state laws.

Advertisement
Just get rid of the NCAA and set up a system that sets up a predetermined cap for P5 and downward Max they can spend. If they spend more or give more benefits you can squash them with sanctions/fines on their cap or scholly limit.

Bring back parody and allow a even playing field. I’m tired of the same **** teams every single year...
Yeah, I like parody...can't forget your sense of humor.

It's not "overruling" the NCAA. It simply means that California state school teams will not be eligible for championships. I guess under the law the California state schools will still be able to play full schedules, except for NCAA tournaments and championships.

I guess Stanford and USC will be the only schools whose teams could play in NCAA tournaments among the Pac-10 teams.

The NFL enforcing the drug policy that the union has also agreed on is not the same thing as the NCAA going against state laws.

It's absolutely the same as that. They will be barred from NCAA championships, which is essentially the whole point of competing. I also don't believe any school would willingly pay kids, when they could continue to not pay and use the excuse about wanting to stay in the NCAA.You're talking about losing money from championships and having to pay kids, it's a double negative for the schools

Advertisement
Yes contracts are that simple. As long as they're legal.

People are only looking out for themselves and its beyond selfish. Giving players more power/money is just going to lead to more problems for them, and schools. ESPECIALLY MIAMI!

If we let our players have all the money in the world, would they be focusing on football? Would they care about putting in extra work in the weight room, or film room? NO. They'd be at the club, or cruising around town getting in constant trouble.

17 and 18 year olds dont need millions of dollars. Schools can barely contain these players stupid behavior as it is, and have to sweep **** under the rug constantly. Now imagine all these players have unlimited money. Unimaginable trouble. Under your system you'd have 5 star kids getting rich and lower rated kids making nothing. Im sure that wouldnt cause any strife in the locker room right?

Its what makes college football better than the NFL. The players are working their asses off for the chance at making it big.

The "middle-ground" you speak of is what I said in my first post. A profit sharing program. Take 25% of the income from ticket and football merch sales and put it in a pot every year. If a player graduates, stays out of trouble, and stays for 4 years, they get their equal cut from each of the 4 years pots. A nice incentive to stick around for 4 years. Your system would have kids leave after one year which is terrible for literally every team.

You have to look at the second and third order effects instead of just whats right in front of your face.

I'd love to be able to tell my employees ...and live....that I'm keeping their earnings to protect them from themselves, to keep them focused and stop potential stupid behavior. Also its to make sure that they'll stick around and perform well and put in extra time while working here for me.

I especially love the part about telling them that 20-60year olds don't need millions of dollars......but I do

I'd offer full schollies to DeVry plus R&B at a cheap motel to make it all legal .....and make myself feel better about what I'm doing

Now that's a plan ALL Capitalists and Guvna's can embrace. Great idea love it!!! lol

Last edited:
Yes contracts are that simple. As long as they're legal.

People are only looking out for themselves and its beyond selfish. Giving players more power/money is just going to lead to more problems for them, and schools. ESPECIALLY MIAMI!

If we let our players have all the money in the world, would they be focusing on football? Would they care about putting in extra work in the weight room, or film room? NO. They'd be at the club, or cruising around town getting in constant trouble.

17 and 18 year olds dont need millions of dollars. Schools can barely contain these players stupid behavior as it is, and have to sweep **** under the rug constantly. Now imagine all these players have unlimited money. Unimaginable trouble. Under your system you'd have 5 star kids getting rich and lower rated kids making nothing. Im sure that wouldnt cause any strife in the locker room right?

Its what makes college football better than the NFL. The players are working their asses off for the chance at making it big.

The "middle-ground" you speak of is what I said in my first post. A profit sharing program. Take 25% of the income from ticket and football merch sales and put it in a pot every year. If a player graduates, stays out of trouble, and stays for 4 years, they get their equal cut from each of the 4 years pots. A nice incentive to stick around for 4 years. Your system would have kids leave after one year which is terrible for literally every team.

You have to look at the second and third order effects instead of just whats right in front of your face.

That sounds fantastic. You see, of course, how such a “stick around and keep your nose clean” incentives system could be abused by a coach like Saban or Urban Liar, do you not?

Get on Saban’s sh*t list, get cut in your third year.

LMAO at the people here claiming the NCAA keeps parity in college football. There's no parity. There's never been parity. The biggest schools always have the most money to spend and the best players. It has literally been like that since the beginning of college football. 90% of FBS teams have 0% chance of ever winning a national title. What, if they allow kids to get paid, is Alabama going to sign the best recruiting class EVERY SINGLE YEAR LIKE THEY ALREADY DO? What you guys don't realize is that most schools are already operating with one hand tied behind their back. At least this way, they take the payments out of the back room, shady deals and make everything public. They could even put a cap on payments if they wanted to like a salary cap in pro leagues. Teams violating the salary cap could receive real punishments unlike the current NCAA system that clearly plays favorites and arbitrarily designates what is a major or minor offense and what the punishment should be.

But no, let's keep it the way it is and make sure that all the preferred teams get to keep breaking rules while the rest of the teams fight for their crumbs.

Advertisement
Was just about to start a thread on this, but OP beat me to it. California extremists about to start the downfall of the NCAA...I won't shed a tear for the corrupt NCAA...

Let's just see if college football is replaced by something worse ...maybe another unaccountable, bureaucratic federal college sports regulatory agency.

We don't need another swamp entity running college sports...soon they'll have mandated numbers of women playing college football, transexual men dominating college women's track and field and basketball, men and women sharing unisex locker rooms....eventually we'll be looking back with nostalgia for the days of the corrupt NCAA.
lol librul bad amirite

P5 schools already do this, says so at the end of the article:

In 2012, the legislature passed – and then-Gov. Jerry Brown signed – a law that termed the Student Athlete Bill of Rights. Taking effect with the start of the 2012-13 school year, it requires the state’s four Pac-12 schools, among other things, to provide academic or other scholarships for athletes who lose an athletic scholarship due to injury. In addition, if, while playing for a team, an athlete suffers an injury that requires ongoing medical treatment, the school must continue providing that treatment for at least two years after the athlete’s graduation or departure from the school.

In October 2014, the Pac-12 passed a rule that increased post-college medical coverage from its schools to four years. And in 2018, the other four Power Five conferences agreed to provide this coverage for at least two years.

Thats not what I'm talking about. That's realitivley immediate care within a specified time. I'm talking about an approach like CTE (or the military with Agent Orange or PTSD, or like class action suits i.e. having worked with asbestos) conditions that may worsen or devlop with time. None of my guys got opearations in the first four years of playing ball, it was all later, and all from injuries they had in college.

You fight to stay on the field you train yourself to develop a high pain threshold. If you never played ball, its hard to explain how when you suddenly stop after playing for nine or ten years, how good your body feels the first few years. That's just from the fact of not doing it every week, nursing or reinjuring stuff. Things have time to heal and the nagging ones you think will eventually too.

It's absolutely the same as that. They will be barred from NCAA championships, which is essentially the whole point of competing. I also don't believe any school would willingly pay kids, when they could continue to not pay and use the excuse about wanting to stay in the NCAA.You're talking about losing money from championships and having to pay kids, it's a double negative for the schools
It is not the same thing. The players in the NFL are employees on the NFL. The players also have a union in the NFL. This union has agreed to the drug plicieis the NFL has set in place. The NCAA makes it very clear they do not see student-athletes as employees and does not ever plan to compensate them like they are employees of the NCAA. It is not the exact same situation here.

LMAO at the people here claiming the NCAA keeps parity in college football. There's no parity. There's never been parity. The biggest schools always have the most money to spend and the best players. It has literally been like that since the beginning of college football. 90% of FBS teams have 0% chance of ever winning a national title. What, if they allow kids to get paid, is Alabama going to sign the best recruiting class EVERY SINGLE YEAR LIKE THEY ALREADY DO? What you guys don't realize is that most schools are already operating with one hand tied behind their back. At least this way, they take the payments out of the back room, shady deals and make everything public. They could even put a cap on payments if they wanted to like a salary cap in pro leagues. Teams violating the salary cap could receive real punishments unlike the current NCAA system that clearly plays favorites and arbitrarily designates what is a major or minor offense and what the punishment should be.

But no, let's keep it the way it is and make sure that all the preferred teams get to keep breaking rules while the rest of the teams fight for their crumbs.
Dude, he's talking about parody in college sports. That's something else. When I find it I'll let you know.

Advertisement
California ‘extremists’ aside, this is what happens when a governing body without true legal standing fails to handle their business. The NCAA should have seen this coming with the Ed OBannon case. Instead, a bunch of grumpy old men fought to maintain status quo.
If you have $$$, nowhere better to live in the US.

Advertisement
If players can use their likeness, Miami wins. Would u rather get paid in a dump like Tuscaloosa or get paid while living in Paradise? The perfect recruiting pitch.

Every move the NCAA has made recently is to avoid the courts bc they know they will lose. That's why the portal isn't going anywhere.

No salary cap. They will be paid based 9n their likeness. The market will dictate how much a player will get paid. The pros don't put a cap on players endorsement deals.

Should this ever pass, it will be interesting to see the first time that Nike decides to endorse a player at an Adidas school or vice versa.

No salary cap. They will be paid based 9n their likeness. The market will dictate how much a player will get paid. The pros don't put a cap on players endorsement deals.
The problem with no cap, is it just goes right back to where we are now with the schools with the biggest spending boosters signing every good player. Boosters will use "endorsement money" to just buy every player. I mean if the goal is transparency and a level playing field, this would solve nothing.

Advertisement
Back