The safety position

Advertisement
Carter shouldn't see the field at all so that should help

Nah. He has a place on this team. STs guy, lockeroom guy and play him closer to the LOS - use him more on blitzing, etc. He's not a centerfielder.

D - I'm not too worried about the incoming kid being unhappy with no starting. We seem to rotate quite a bit and both Bolden and Hall will leave this year. I can envision the coaches playing JW situationally (blitz package, etc)

Advertisement
I think the WR's and TE's take a step forward in their development. If King returns on time and he's healthy, I think iron will sharpen iron. If the coaches (Manny) can stay out of their own way, the Safety position will work it's self out.

The leaders of the group will emerge. The top players at the position will emerge and the snap count should reflect that.

A spotlight is shining on Manny and the defensive side of the ball. He can't afford to play politics with guys snaps anymore. Too many people paying attention.

The best players will play and hopefully that's what the coaches are preaching to the players on the team and selling that point to recruits.

Advertisement
And that somebody better be carter. I feel like he would be better than Mccloud. Also why is everyone so certain the 2 Williams’ will be better than Bolden and Hall. Bolden was arguably one of our best players the first 6 games last year and Hall was just as hyped up as those 2 coming in. Everyone saying “bolden and hall have to prove it”. To me The Williams’ guys better prove it!
Well, they moved McCloud to defensive end. Might as well move Carter to linebacker

I think the WR's and TE's take a step forward in their development. If King returns on time and he's healthy, I think iron will sharpen iron. If the coaches (Manny) can stay out of their own way, the Safety position will work it's self out.

The leaders of the group will emerge. The top players at the position will emerge and the snap count should reflect that.

A spotlight is shining on Manny and the defensive side of the ball. He can't afford to play politics with guys snaps anymore. Too many people paying attention.

The best players will play and hopefully that's what the coaches are preaching to the players on the team and selling that point to recruits.

Not yet convinced that Mallory has the it factor to be a top notch 1A guy like Brevin was last year. He does have the ability and Arroyo is the truth.

The only way we take a step forward with WR is if 7/83/88/12 take a step forward. We've seen what the 6/8 product looks like and it will likely remain unchanged. The only saving grace for that position is if those 4 that I mentioned take a big step forward.

IMO the big question mark is going to be DE. Cam, Harvey, Williams need to have a great spring in order to have a solid DE2, DE3 on the team. I don't think any of our DEs are difference makers but they need to be solid.

Avantae is probably not a threat for heavy minutes this year anyway.

He will most likely be eased in slowly, and possibly see a little more time as the year progresses. I’m basing this on the assumption that the medical condition/injury causes caution from the coaches/medical staff.

I don’t see him as being a big part of this conversation. So that’s when you can eliminate from the start. He’s a 2022 guy.

Advertisement
It was never publicly confirmed but I read somewhere it was most likely neck related or maybe concussion(s)

Go back to my question. There is a reason I asked it the way that I asked it.

You saw what happened to D'Eriq King. It was on TV. His knee buckled. You SAW an ACTUAL injury.

What is Avantae's injury? You never saw an injury. He was not "injured" making a football play.

So...read between the lines. That's not a personal attack or an insult, it's just a "follow the money" type of a suggestion. With King, we know what his injury is, we know what the surgery was, he has a timeline, he has rehab to do.

Avantae was not "injured" in the classical sense of the word. So whatever he has to do, however he has to be cleared for contact, is very nebulous. And might not follow the timeline that we wish it would follow.

In simple terms, 2021 might happen or it might not happen. Nobody really knows yet.

Advertisement
Moving to a defense that employs three safeties is the smartest approach. We have the players with the diverse skill-sets to make the defense work (with the striker being a fourth big S essentially).

Harrell is the name most dont bring up. Balom also is steady eddy and a prop joe guy. Your going to have to earn reps from Balom because he will work. The "bartender" did his job in recruiting. That safety position is loaded with talent.

We rotate alot so may have to ask Bolden and company to relinquish maybe 5-10 reps a game to these youngins.

Advertisement
Back