The safety position

I get the feeling this is going to be the most debated position all season.

You have two starting seniors (Bolden and Hall) with NFL aspirations who want to play every snap. You have a super-senior (Carter) who has played since he got here. Then you have two freak shows (Avantae and JW) who are going to demand playing time and likely won't react well if they are sitting behind underperforming players. Finally, you've got two guys (Kam and Balom) who should be coach's favorites and will be practicing in spring.

Very interested to see how this plays out.
First of all carter should get 0 snaps at safety. He needs to be moved to Lb it’s his only chance to play

Advertisement
It has been discussed earlier, that Rousseau was COMING OFF of an injury. Maybe he was ready on Day 1, maybe not, but that's the reason he was not a pre-season starter, and NOT because he was young and Patchan was older.

A lot of our fans just tend to look at the end result, and work backwards (and incorrectly so).

Coaches are NOT trying to commit professional suicide by playing less-talented seniors over more-talented freshmen.

competent coaches yes but then there is Manny Diaz who has played less talented seniors since he’s been the HC.

This discussion on Cane boards goes back to the days of Shannon playing Glen Cook and Romeo Davis over younger guys. It didn't begin with Rosier.
It's hard to connect the Shannon administration with Manny though. Its a lot easier to say he learned it from Richt.

The “backup quarterback theory” isn't new and it's definitely not unique to Miami football message boards. I'd venture to say it goes back to the beginning of team sports. Whenever there’s an underperforming starter, Fans have a hard time fathomng the fact that while he may suck, he's still the best option. Maybe it's ignorance or maybe blind hope but they always feel that the guy on the bench just HAS to be better. As if the backup player has been displaying proficient play in practices but the coach, for whatever reason, is unfairly loyal to the starter. So much to the point that the coaches would rather risk losing games and possibly their jobs than replace their favorite terrible player. Occasionally the backup player will get a chance. Maybe the starter gets hurt or maybe the coaches are desperate and the fan favorite, backup quarterback finally gets his chance to shine. Most of the time he struggles and the fans go “that’s why he doesn't start”. Sometimes, he'll play well for a short time until he gets exposed. But every once in a Blue Moon, he'll outplay the starter and become a star. And the fans will completely ignore the other 99 times a backup failed and point to that one time and say “see! The coaches have no idea what they're doing! If they would only listen to me, they’d win every game” because that's what fans do and it's part of being a fan of any team in any sport.

So, who hit the portal after spring?
My guess balom. I don’t think james tae or kam expect to start after spring over much older players set to graduate. Maybe hall if he gets passed. Don’tsee Carter or bubba going anywhere after spring.

Advertisement
Gurvan Hall was battling injuries last season is what i've heard.

I know he had 66 tackles, 3.5 TLL, 2 sacks, 1 INT as a true sophmore.

I think he had to be battling injuries. I did see some flashes in the bowl game where I thought where has that Hall been? I think he bounces back with a very solid senior season.

I don’t see it in Hall and never have. Even in ‘19 when he graded out well I just saw a guy who did his job, not be a playmaker.
I think he was thrown in there before he was actually ready. 1 year too soon and then not playing well affected his confidence. He can still be a solid starter for us, just needs to play within the scheme and be a "do your job" type player. There's a lot that goes on behind the scenes with these players and trying to reach the dream of playing in the NFL. If ur not a lightning in a bottle w/freaky measurables you have to be a fanatic in film study/treatment & recovery/weight room-work ethic.

Advertisement
Miami’s defense this year should be really interesting csz of our personnel do u run Gilbert,Stevenson,blades,bolden,hall do u run Stevenson,blades,couch, bolden,hall etc a lot of options I hope we explore

I’d expect to see various sub packages depending on situation and opponent. A guy like Keontra Smith can be worked in as well at LB to get more speed on the field. Should be interesting to see what Manny does with all these guys.

Anyone comparing big play Bobby knowles to hall is way off. Hall has untapped potential. Knowles was limited. Hall can have a breakout season this year with the best coaching he has received. Knowles was never gonna be better than what he was. A reach

And that somebody better be carter. I feel like he would be better than Mccloud. Also why is everyone so certain the 2 Williams’ will be better than Bolden and Hall. Bolden was arguably one of our best players the first 6 games last year and Hall was just as hyped up as those 2 coming in. Everyone saying “bolden and hall have to prove it”. To me The Williams’ guys better prove it!
Bolden was one of our best players the first THREE games last year, and that's still questionable. What does Hall's hype have to do with his production so far?

Hate to be a messenger of bad news, but get ready for a $h** show at the safety spot guys!

Last edited:
Advertisement
Miami fans love to think that everybody just gets the playbook on day 1, that practice reps are not needed, and that you should throw guys coming off injuries back into the flames and have them play every snap.
You can always tell the guys who have played or coached vs the guys who have a 12 year dynasty on NCAA 14 for PS3.

Advertisement
It's hard to connect the Shannon administration with Manny though. Its a lot easier to say he learned it from Richt.
Understood but the fan frustration really isn’t logical here, it’s just impatience with seeing the same flaws over and over.

Gurvan Hall was battling injuries last season is what i've heard.

I know he had 66 tackles, 3.5 TLL, 2 sacks, 1 INT as a true sophmore.

I think he had to be battling injuries. I did see some flashes in the bowl game where I thought where has that Hall been? I think he bounces back with a very solid senior season.
At the very least Gurvan Hall has shown he's capable of being a solid starter, even if he's not a star. It's not like we're expecting some bum to transform into Sean Taylor.

Remember all the Lingard conspiracy theories, most revolving around some kind of favoritism for upperclassmen? All pretty much accepted as fact.

I do.

Yeah! Mullet is obviously biased towards playing less-talented kids that have been at Florida for longer, and he's holding back Five-Star Lingard.

Dang TOC I thought you were going to tell us since you said he likely wouldn't play until 2022.....at least I breathe easy knowing that was a statement w/o substance meaning there's a chance he plays.

Don't be mad at me because you are clueless and nobody will share information with you.

Advertisement
Back