The risk of benching Morris

So let me wrap my diminished capacity brain around this:

Morris should not be pulled because he is in such a fragile state that he would be emotionally damaged if he is pulled for Williams. Williams played quite well (arguably better) than Morris against poor competition. Williams' performance in garbage time does not reflect what would happen against good competition. Morris has been inconsistent against good competition. Williams is predicted to be our starter next year. This will happen despite the fact he has performed well, but only against poor competition. The locker room's loyalty to Morris's leadership supercedes their loyalty to coaches and the desire to win games.

Is that close to the arguments in a nutshell?

Not my argument. Morris is better then Williams. Morris gives us a better chance to win. Morris gave us the best chance to win in the 4th quarter of last nights game even after 4 INTs. Golden agrees. Fisch agreed. Coley agrees. Some internet posters don't agree.

Advertisement
it looked to me like there was a defender right there ready to step in front of Crawford on the play.

it was SH man who he was supposed to force up the field and instead he pushed the guy back into the screen as if it was regular pass pro.

As for @cane4life I'm not going to go back and forth with this. SH and his man were not supposed to be there. Morris didn't throw the ball high either it would have hit Dallas right in the chest in stride if SH wasn't there. Morris is looking downfield to the opposite side of the screen to sell the screen and get the lber's to get into their drops which all happened. Everyone did what they were supposed to do to sell the play except SH. You can keep thinking Morris was at fault on that all you want. SH didn't play another snap after that play and it wasn't a coincidence.

Morris should not be pulled because he is in such a fragile state that he would be emotionally damaged if he is pulled for Williams. Williams played quite well (arguably better) than Morris against poor competition. Williams' performance in garbage time does not reflect what would happen against good competition. Morris has been inconsistent against good competition. Williams is predicted to be our starter next year. This will happen despite the fact he has performed well, but only against poor competition. The locker room's loyalty to Morris's leadership supercedes their loyalty to coaches and the desire to win games.

Not my argument. Morris is better then Williams. Morris gives us a better chance to win. Morris gave us the best chance to win in the 4th quarter of last nights game even after 4 INTs. Golden agrees. Fisch agreed. Coley agrees. Some internet posters don't agree.

What games have you been watching? Morris **** the bed last night. He has been anything but stellar and the team has won despite him playing like crap. When Williams has been he's looked crisp. He gets rid of the ball fast and makes good decisions.
It's funny how if we question Morris then we're hating on him but in the same breath treat Williams like he's garbage even though his performance so far has been great?
I have no allegiance to either QB and when one is playing like **** you give the other one a shot.

I just have to laugh at this ****.

Morris is exactly the same QB as he was last year. People need to stop commenting when he is playing at his worst. Everyone with a brain knows how ungodly streaky he is so quit being so ******* surprised. If you didn't call for Williams to be the starter at the beginning of the year, then shut your mouth because your Friday morning head corching thoughts are invalid.

Kid wasn't on last night and we still won. We'll be fine with Morris as long as we continue to run the ball like we did last night.

We won't be playing another defense that is ranked 105th vs the run this year.

Advertisement

Perhaps in the 4th quarter you may be right--but another possible outcome based on his earlier performance was that another bonehead play could have resulted in a larger UNC lead. Yep, we won with Morris keeping the ball on the ground and limiting pass plays.

If Morris continues to make the same number and level of mistakes going forward, then we are without options? Somewhere in the dusty past I seem to recall occasions when backups entered and performed better. Does anyone recall a situation when our starter had beat a supposedly superior team was later replaced by an inexperienced backup who subsequently won some games? Seems to me once upon a time there was a guy known as J12 who was supposedly the QB that gave us the best chance to win. He had a record of playing hot and cold, I think he ended up cold (or was it frozen)?

The funny thing about all this talk, is that pulling Stephen Morris isn't even a consideration at this point.

Only way he goes to the bench is if he gets injured.

Let's get real, folks.

Last I checked, we are undefeated and we beat the Florida Gators with a team led by Stephen Morris.

Talkin about Ryan Williams.....

So you're saying you have nothing to dispute in my listed points so you declare the debate is over?

In that case I'm saying Whooptie Do!

The **** are you talking about old man?

Sorry to confuse you. I will not respond to your attempt to make age an issue in this discussion. I am not going to exploit, for debating points, your youth and inexperience.

Advertisement
Last I checked, we are undefeated and we beat the Florida Gators with a team led by Stephen Morris.

Talkin about Ryan Williams.....

So you're saying you have nothing to dispute in my listed points so you declare the debate is over?

In that case I'm saying Whooptie Do!

The **** are you talking about old man?

Sorry to confuse you. I will not respond to your attempt to make age an issue in this discussion. I am not going to exploit, for debating points, your youth and inexperience.

I've laid out my thoughts throughout this thread. Don't be a lazy *** and then come at me with your typical childish responses and expect anything different in return.

The funny thing about all this talk, is that pulling Stephen Morris isn't even a consideration at this point.

Let's get real, folks.

Perhaps. For the record I sincerely hope that Stephen Morris rebounds from his performance problems, leads the Canes to the promised land, and finishes as a first round draft choice.

That said his mistakes ARE a cause for concern. A coach can ignore, hope for improvement, attempt to coach up a player in order to fix mistakes, or make contingency plans. Unless you are close to the staff, how would you know if pulling Morris is not a consideration?

Funny how we can post about color of shoes, pants above the knees, we back, but it becomes politically incorrect to point out demonstrated deficiencies in our starting QB.

At the end of the day and considering the progress the team has made under Golden's watch I'm cool with our starting QB (whoever it is) throwing picks, even if it keeps games close, so long as we continue to win. It may be more exciting not knowing the outcome until the clock winds down to zero, it's just that to me winning ugly is just not as much fun.

Opinions differ.

morris was throwing off his back foot alot not stepping into his throws. i think UNC pass rush was getting in his head until the last drive where he made some good throws.

Let's get real, folks.

Perhaps. For the record I sincerely hope that Stephen Morris rebounds from his performance problems, leads the Canes to the promised land, and finishes as a first round draft choice.

That said his mistakes ARE a cause for concern. A coach can ignore, hope for improvement, attempt to coach up a player in order to fix mistakes, or make contingency plans. Unless you are close to the staff, how would you know if pulling Morris is not a consideration?

Funny how we can post about color of shoes, pants above the knees, we back, but it becomes politically incorrect to point out demonstrated deficiencies in our starting QB.

At the end of the day and considering the progress the team has made under Golden's watch I'm cool with our starting QB (whoever it is) throwing picks, even if it keeps games close, so long as we continue to win. It may be more exciting not knowing the outcome until the clock winds down to zero, it's just that to me winning ugly is just not as much fun.

Opinions differ.

FWIW, Coach Golden, when asked if he thought about going with Ryan instead of Stephen down the stretch, said emphatically "NO!"

Advertisement

What games have you been watching? Morris **** the bed last night. He has been anything but stellar and the team has won despite him playing like crap. When Williams has been he's looked crisp. He gets rid of the ball fast and makes good decisions.
It's funny how if we question Morris then we're hating on him but in the same breath treat Williams like he's garbage even though his performance so far has been great?
I have no allegiance to either QB and when one is playing like **** you give the other one a shot.

I'm going to preface this by saying I think Williams is a fine backup, has improved this year, and will have a good shot at winning the starting QB spot next year. I know people will mix my words.

I think its funny how perceptions change after lighting up SSU and USF. Last time we saw Williams in meaningful minutes he struggled so mightily vs UNC that 75% of the posters on this board (I wasn't one of them) said he would never start a game at Miami. Fast forward 1 year and now those same posters want him to replace Morris. Many fans favorite player on the team is the backup QB.

The only thing Miami has ever needed to win championships is better coaching. Howard said that when he took the job. He was right. Now we either have that better coaching or we don't. Al says we are not back yet. It is a process. The bad news is our QB can really stink it up sometimes. The good news is we have a team, especially a defense, that does not quit. We have to trust Golden to make right decision. At least last night they did go to the run that last drive. If only JJ had done the same against PSU instead of going back to letting Vinny pass every frigging time we got near the end zone, we might have 6 rings now. Golden won his first game with top 10 team. Let's hope next week we are 7 - 0 and heading to Tally for the biggest game in ten years. Morris or Williams, that is Golden's decision. After seeing the defense come around I am going with whatever he decides.

Perhaps in the 4th quarter you may be right--but another possible outcome based on his earlier performance was that another bonehead play could have resulted in a larger UNC lead. Yep, we won with Morris keeping the ball on the ground and limiting pass plays.

If Morris continues to make the same number and level of mistakes going forward, then we are without options? Somewhere in the dusty past I seem to recall occasions when backups entered and performed better. Does anyone recall a situation when our starter had beat a supposedly superior team was later replaced by an inexperienced backup who subsequently won some games? Seems to me once upon a time there was a guy known as J12 who was supposedly the QB that gave us the best chance to win. He had a record of playing hot and cold, I think he ended up cold (or was it frozen)?

I'm not sure how the last paragraph fits in. Morris replaced an injured Harris and went 2-2 as the starter, Jacory was 5-3. The next year Jacory won the starting job over Morris.

Advertisement

I'm going to preface this by saying I think Williams is a fine backup, has improved this year, and will have a good shot at winning the starting QB spot next year. I know people will mix my words.

I think its funny how perceptions change after lighting up SSU and USF. Last time we saw Williams in meaningful minutes he struggled so mightily vs UNC that 75% of the posters on this board (I wasn't one of them) said he would never start a game at Miami. Fast forward 1 year and now those same posters want him to replace Morris. Many fans favorite player on the team is the backup QB.

I want to know how anyone could consider that Williams struggled vs UNC?

Dude had only throw 2 passes prior to that game vs K-State when he went 2 for 2 and threw the only Cane TD that day. Comes in around 9 mins left in the 4 qtr vs UNC and goes 9 for 13. Rather good outing, coming off the bench. When the starter was the one looking horrific prior to getting hurt.

I would love to see Williams play a full game against a decent team just to see what he has. We have to sustain drives better and keep our D off the field against the better teams and I feel Williams is better qualified to do that. I'll take a weaker armed guy who gets rid of the ball quick and is accurate over a gunslinger who takes your offense off the field with his inaccuracy.

If the coaches agreed with you at all, don't you think he would've been in already? Get a grip, man. It's blatantly obvious that the coaches think Morris on one leg gives the team a better chance to win than Williams on two. Why is that so difficult to grasp? They see them in practice every day. You sit at home and watch them on tv. I think the old cliche, "the best QB on the roster is always the backup" is alive and well.

Never, not once, have I ever said I want Morris replaced by Williams. I said when it was clearly obvious that our hobbled starter was having a bad game and throwing 4 INT's that maybe he should have been sat and seen if Williams was ready to rise to the occasion and allow our starter to rest to get healthy for the rest of the season.

Advertisement
Back