The risk of benching Morris

Chrisarg72

Freshman
For everyone arguing about benching morris, please keep in mind that once you bench him there is no going back. By that I mean his confidence will never recover and he will never be a legitimate starter again. Sure backups come on all the time in CFB, but only under the following situations: injury, a running qb package vs a passing qb package, a blowout. If you bench him without any of those causes, without the promise of you'll come back when you're healed/next series/better team (respectively) it signifies you have lost faith in your qb. There is nothing more imperative to the position of QB than their confidence. It is everything.

Is morris injured?yes, it showed and that's why he had a bad game. All his interceptions came on pressure situations when he had to move his feet, even as much as taking a step backward. His plating ankle is injured so his planting is bad. A bad plant=a bad throw accuracy and power wise. That is why most of his picks were lofts and not the usual cannons he releases. However morris is a competitor, it is clear he wants to go out there and win, and won't let a nagging injury bother him. That is why the coaches have to pull a Deon Bush on him. Show him clips of his limping, and essentially pull a we love your heart but your clearly injured. Thus he is being benched for injury purposes with the promise to come back as soon as he passes some kind of test on his ankle: i.e. a shuttle drill or something. This will give him a defined goal to return, as well as no sense that he was wronged. The next game is wake forest, and then FSU. Let's heal him during wake and have him ready to battle Winston.

Advertisement
None of us know the lockeroom dynamic. Bench him and you could lose the team.

That is why I am arguing you need to leverage the injury. Everyone knows he is injured, promise him a return once he heals. They did the same with Bush last year.

no one was serious about benching morris. only an idiot would want to bench morris. if he's cleared to play, he starts. end of story.

no one was serious about benching morris. only an idiot would want to bench morris. if he's cleared to play, he starts. end of story.

That is simply not true. There are plenty of people here who are serious about benching Stephen Morris. And no, not all of them are idiots.

Advertisement
I suggested more reps for Williams with first team the first practice back in Coral Gables. Maybe for an entire practice.

Morris was awful. Truly awful. But aside from garbage time against two clearly inferior opponents (Sav. Stat and USF) I'm not sure what others have seen in Williams that makes then think he is a clearly better option.

I don't think we can stretch defenses and threaten downfield (or to the far sideline) the same way with Williams. I'm open to being wrong though.

Advertisement
I for one am for benching Morris if the injury is keeping him from performing the way we know he can. I love his heart but if he can't help us on the field and only hurt us..He needs to take another week off to heal correctly.

morris was 19 for 36 for 322. there were good things and bad things. red zone, ints, missed some open guys. but, i'm going w/ morris all day.

I just have to laugh at this ****.

Morris is exactly the same QB as he was last year. People need to stop commenting when he is playing at his worst. Everyone with a brain knows how ungodly streaky he is so quit being so ******* surprised. If you didn't call for Williams to be the starter at the beginning of the year, then shut your mouth because your Friday morning head corching thoughts are invalid.

Advertisement
None of us know the lockeroom dynamic. Bench him and you could lose the team.

I'm sure the team is delighted to have a QB at the helm that threw 4 INTs last night and has turned the ball over at a prodigious rate this season(!)

Put the guys that give you the best chance to win out on the field and the locker room will follow.

Every coach goes through this. And its always a risk. Butch had to go through it with KK and Dorsey.

The thing is, Morris' ankle is still CLEARLY not 100%.

AG at least has an excuse to say, "Look, the ankle is still CLEARLY affecting your play, you cant roll out, you are having issues under center, and he is stepping back when he throws, instead of stepping INTO the pocket". Mentally he's also rattled. CRITICAL mistakes, he's panicking in the pocket, and making horrible throws OVER and OVER when he's under pressure.

Tell you right now, FSU and VT are going to T- Off and bring non stop heat on him and force him to make mistakes. He throws 2 or 3 picks against EITHER of those teams, and we are TOAST.

Look, I understand he is the Senior leader of the offense, and he's obviously got the talent and arm, but there is something SERIOUSLY wrong in this kid's head right now. And it wasnt just last night, its been ALL season.

He wasnt overly impressive against FAU. He was hurt for SSU and USF, he was inconsistent in the UF game, and he's thrown SIX Picks in two games against UNC and GT. And at least 3 or 4 were in the red zone and cost us points. That might allow us to survive against mid level ACC teams, but its going to get us KILLED against the likes of FSU and VT.

Morris is just not playing anywhere CLOSE to where he needs to be.

I would seriously consider sitting him down for a game or at least half a game to "rest" his ankle.

Its not the first time a coach would have done this. Obviously its not something you WANT to do, but Morris is having some SERIOUS issues, and with the injury he had, it COULD be that he's compensating too much for it. At least AG has a reason to sit him for a bit and see if it sparks something in him.

Honestly, I dont see how it could get much WORSE at this point. He is the most inconsistent he has EVER been. He looks like Jacory with a stronger arm at this point. 0 TDs and 4 Ints last night, against a 1-5 team, 2 picks in the red zone. 2 Picks the game before against GT, also in the red zone.

Things are clearly going in the WRONG direction, and FAST.

Advertisement
I don't know and I don't think there is anything wrong in his head. it doesn't seem that way to me. he just makes some bad throws sometimes. the pick off Henderson's helmet was just a fluke.
imo, he was just more "off" than has mental issues. he is clearly outplaying Williams in practice with his ankle and all.

if he is cleared to play, he starts. I doubt for a second this debate is going on at Hecht.

Advertisement
Back