The risk of benching Morris

no one was serious about benching morris. only an idiot would want to bench morris. if he's cleared to play, he starts. end of story.

You know very well that's not true. You know very well a lot of Miami fans want him benched. They're the same fans that will attack him on twitter and boo him next Saturday.

Defined "benched". Im not saying I want him demoted and Williams named the starter. BUT, Id like AG to give serious thought to sitting SM for a half, or even a whole game. For one thing, it is not unheard of in the LEAST for a coach to bench a player who is seriously underperforming to try to motivate him. Secondly, Morris HAS been HURT, and its clearly not totally healed. To what extent that is affecting him, I dont think anyone can say with certainty, but it certainly bears consideration, and gives a coach all the reason he needs to sit that player for a bit.

I dont think anyone should be "booing" Morris, but he is simply having an aweful year so far. I understand that Morris has more talent, and can make some amazing throws that Williams cant, but at what point is that outweighed by the major mistakes that Morris keeps making? What good does it do you to throw a 40 yard laser to a WR and get in the redzone, and then throw a boneheaded pick the next play and come away with nothing, and force your D back on the field? If Williams can march the offense down the field with a more steady, simpler approach, going mid range and underneath, while executing the offense efficiently and a good running game, he should be able to put points on the board, and limit mistakes. To me, that is preferable to the rocket arm that is going to throw 2-3 picks a game including costing us scores in the redzone. Ive said it before, but that is the recipie that helped Dorsey lose 1 game in 3 years here. And that is NOT to say that Williams is Dorsey, or anything close, BUT if he can be that TYPE of QB for us, I think it may be better in the long run.

In the end, I trust AG. If they feel that Williams is not good enough to get it done, then so be it. But I would give it serious thought if it was me. I dont believe in having "annointed" players. Not even QBs.

You can't have rational discussion with some of our fans. If you're saying Williams should be put in then they automatically make it out to mean that your dissing Morris and never want to see him on the field ever again. They don't get that sometimes when one QB is having a bad game that it's ok to try another QB on your roster who may have a hot hand. Obviously you have to play the gimpy Morris who is completely off so their isn't a QB controversy among the village idiots. Why on earth would you ever allow the backup to come in and try a few series and relieve your injured starter who is having a bad game? I mean after all Williams only red hot when he got his chance but it was against _________ so it doesn't count.

You better not be talks about me, because you can have a rational discussion with me on the topic. I'll go with the coach's decision though.

I don't give a **** what decision you go with. Golden should have taken gimpy Morris out and given healthy Williams a shot early in the game when it was evident Morris wasn't on. And there wouldn't be all of these threads about QB today if we all didn't see a problem so the opinion is valid whether you agree with me or not.

Advertisement
Duke went down early.

Morris tried to do too much as a result.

Then played like ****.

But made some big throws, because god****, that arm.

Needs to get his head right. Ankle may be a part of the mental problem, but I didn't see limping or a tender ankle out there last night.

Will play huge against Wake Forest, big confidence boost going into FSU.

Against FSU, who knows.

I saw him limping. Espn pointed it out 2 or 3 times. After plays he was clearly limping or favoring one ankle/leg heading back to the sideline.

Turned off the volume. Couldn't handle those guys any longer. Fair point, but not as gimpy as against GT. Still, I think his chief problem is between his ears.

You know very well that's not true. You know very well a lot of Miami fans want him benched. They're the same fans that will attack him on twitter and boo him next Saturday.

Defined "benched". Im not saying I want him demoted and Williams named the starter. BUT, Id like AG to give serious thought to sitting SM for a half, or even a whole game. For one thing, it is not unheard of in the LEAST for a coach to bench a player who is seriously underperforming to try to motivate him. Secondly, Morris HAS been HURT, and its clearly not totally healed. To what extent that is affecting him, I dont think anyone can say with certainty, but it certainly bears consideration, and gives a coach all the reason he needs to sit that player for a bit.

I dont think anyone should be "booing" Morris, but he is simply having an aweful year so far. I understand that Morris has more talent, and can make some amazing throws that Williams cant, but at what point is that outweighed by the major mistakes that Morris keeps making? What good does it do you to throw a 40 yard laser to a WR and get in the redzone, and then throw a boneheaded pick the next play and come away with nothing, and force your D back on the field? If Williams can march the offense down the field with a more steady, simpler approach, going mid range and underneath, while executing the offense efficiently and a good running game, he should be able to put points on the board, and limit mistakes. To me, that is preferable to the rocket arm that is going to throw 2-3 picks a game including costing us scores in the redzone. Ive said it before, but that is the recipie that helped Dorsey lose 1 game in 3 years here. And that is NOT to say that Williams is Dorsey, or anything close, BUT if he can be that TYPE of QB for us, I think it may be better in the long run.

In the end, I trust AG. If they feel that Williams is not good enough to get it done, then so be it. But I would give it serious thought if it was me. I dont believe in having "annointed" players. Not even QBs.

You can't have rational discussion with some of our fans. If you're saying Williams should be put in then they automatically make it out to mean that your dissing Morris and never want to see him on the field ever again. They don't get that sometimes when one QB is having a bad game that it's ok to try another QB on your roster who may have a hot hand. Obviously you have to play the gimpy Morris who is completely off so their isn't a QB controversy among the village idiots. Why on earth would you ever allow the backup to come in and try a few series and relieve your injured starter who is having a bad game? I mean after all Williams only red hot when he got his chance but it was against _________ so it doesn't count.

You better not be talks about me, because you can have a rational discussion with me on the topic. I'll go with the coach's decision though.

I don't give a **** what decision you go with. Golden should have taken gimpy Morris out and given healthy Williams a shot early in the game when it was evident Morris wasn't on. And there wouldn't be all of these threads about QB today if we all didn't see a problem so the opinion is valid whether you agree with me or not.

Huh? I said I go with the coach's decision. You say you don't give a **** about my decision (which was to go along with Golden's decision), but then you say what you would do as if that should carry more weight than the head coach?

Point of clarification: Morris's ankle was not the reason he threw 3 of those 4 picks last nite. Those pics were thrown simply because Stephen Morris was channeling his inner Jacory Harris. ie: floating balls into traffic when there was nothing there. Maybe you can make the argument that Morris is forcing things out of frustration from his ankle but that's kind of a stretch.

Only one of his int was a forced throw and that was the last pick where he was a complete sh#thead from his decision to run out of a clean pocket, to his decision fling the ball up in the air as he's running out of bounce. His third pick was on SH for not getting his fatarse and the DE further up the field so that Dallas could get in behind. His first two picks weren't bad reads or forced throws. They were Morris being a ***** and turning into the moonwalker and throwing passes as he's retreating backwards off his backfoot causing them to sail over the recievers heads. Honestly I didn't watch the game again but I don't recall him forcing any throws into coverage except that last int. Seems like most of his in completions were the result of poor ball placement or deflections at the los. Actually it's kind of hard to force throws in traffic when all your passes are outside the hash marks (lmbo that on the last drive we ran the same **** corners route on all three pass plays).

Anyway I hope they spend the next nine days throwing tackling dummies right in his facemask because it's totally unacceptable that he still does that yellowbelly retreat and throw off his backfoot crap. I mean it's not like they don't practice that crap constantly in practice
[video=youtube_share;91QgVCEuJWw]http://youtu.be/91QgVCEuJWw[/video]

Huh? I said I go with the coach's decision. You say you don't give a **** about my decision (which was to go along with Golden's decision), but then you say what you would do as if that should carry more weight than the head coach?

Here I'll make it easy for you to understand. I... Don't.... Agree.... With.... Golden..... Leaving.... Gimpy.... Morris.... In.... The.... Game..... While.... He's.... Playing... Like... ****...

And I don't give a **** what your opinion is. I love Golden as coach and this team is 6-0 but I don't agree with that decision. Williams is supposed to be the possible starter next year so why he wasn't given a shot doesn't make any sense to me.

Advertisement
Point of clarification: Morris's ankle was not the reason he threw 3 of those 4 picks last nite. Those pics were thrown simply because Stephen Morris was channeling his inner Jacory Harris. ie: floating balls into traffic when there was nothing there. Maybe you can make the argument that Morris is forcing things out of frustration from his ankle but that's kind of a stretch.

Only one of his int was a forced throw and that was the last pick where he was a complete sh#thead from his decision to run out of a clean pocket, to his decision fling the ball up in the air as he's running out of bounce. His third pick was on SH for not getting his fatarse and the DE further up the field so that Dallas could get in behind. His first two picks weren't bad reads or forced throws. They were Morris being a **** and turning into the moonwalker and throwing passes as he's retreating backwards off his backfoot causing them to sail over the recievers heads. Honestly I didn't watch the game again but I don't recall him forcing any throws into coverage except that last int. Seems like most of his in completions were the result of poor ball placement or deflections at the los. Actually it's kind of hard to force throws in traffic when all your passes are outside the hash marks (lmbo that on the last drive we ran the same **** corners route on all three pass plays).

Anyway I hope they spend the next nine days throwing tackling dummies right in his facemask because it's totally unacceptable that he still does that yellowbelly retreat and throw off his backfoot crap. I mean it's not like they don't practice that crap constantly in practice
[video=youtube_share;91QgVCEuJWw]http://youtu.be/91QgVCEuJWw[/video]

Are you seriously going to blame Seantrel for Morris throwing the ball into his helmet? Morris was looking RIGHT at Dallas, and still threw the ball straight into Seantrel's head. Sorry but that is on the QB. Just like his massive overthrow to Mo who was wide open for an easy 6. WHILE he was looking RIGHT at him.

Just speculating here....but I'll hypothesize that AG and Coley think a gimpy Morris is still better than a healthy Williams. You know, since they see them in practice every day and all...

no one was serious about benching morris. only an idiot would want to bench morris. if he's cleared to play, he starts. end of story.

That is simply not true. There are plenty of people here who are serious about benching Stephen Morris. And no, not all of them are idiots.

ur not on the team so u dont know the locker room. u bench him and u could lose the locker room. u ride and die w morris

Advertisement
there is the possibility that the staff isnt telling us the full story on hsi ankle.

I agree Morris' problem is primarily between the ears, but I dont think you can discount the injury either. I think the injury in part has affect him mentally, and its affected his mechanics somewhat too. He seems very hesitant to step into the pocket and plant when he throws. I also think it has forced Coley to limit the plays under center, which is leading to so many of our slow developing run plays in the back field. He's also a total liability rolling out. So on top of the issues he's having throwing the ball, it limits what the OC can call because of his ankle.

Obviously the lack of ball control when he is throwing is not primarily becuase of the ankle, but it is certainly making things worse overall. I just dont think its that unreasonable to have this discussion and consider wether Williams might be the better option, for NOW anyway. And the reason is, I dont think last night was a fluke.

I mean he's already thrown MORE picks so far this year, than he did ALL of last season.

We have played 3 teams that can even be considered ANY type of competition. GT, UF and UNC. None of those are top level teams. He has thrown SEVEN picks in those 3 games.

He was very unimpressive against FAU. He had two good drives against UF, and did nothing the rest of the game. This team has been winning in SPITE of him.

If this doesnt get corrected ASAP, his issues are going to be a GLARING mess when we face FSU and VT. I think we have been lulled into a false sense of security by the schedule so far, but that is going to change very soon.

Solid stuff as usual.

My initial stance was more geared towards the folks just blabbering about their NCAA PS3 reality rather than backing their views up with opinions the way you do.

I just have a difficult time comparing this year to last for Morris. He is being asked to do completely different things. To me, I see the same kid back there, if anything he actually has improved some things. Last night was horrible but he's still the same kid who threw 2 beautiful TD passes against UiF, dropped a ridiculous dime on USF, and has shown hints of checking down and finding his TE's.

His mobility is clearly lacking. Not saying his ankle isn't bothering him, I just think the problems we are seeing are exactly the same things we have seen from him throughout his career.

In the end, we go as far as Stephen Morris takes us and Golden knows it. You gotta ride with him.

Are you seriously going to blame Seantrel for Morris throwing the ball into his helmet? Morris was looking RIGHT at Dallas, and still threw the ball straight into Seantrel's head. Sorry but that is on the QB. Just like his massive overthrow to Mo who was wide open for an easy 6. WHILE he was looking RIGHT at him.

do you understand how a screen play works smh? Morris isn't sitting there looking at Dallas he's trying to draw the defenders up field so that Dallas can slip behind them. Seantral was supposed to push his man up the field instead he went regular pass pro and actually pushed to **** back towards were the screen was going. It was his ****** execution of the play why he was beating himself up after the play and he wasn't in the game in the fourth or did you fail notice he was not on the field for either TD drive?

Advertisement
So let me wrap my diminished capacity brain around this:

Morris should not be pulled because he is in such a fragile state that he would be emotionally damaged if he is pulled for Williams. Williams played quite well (arguably better) than Morris against poor competition. Williams' performance in garbage time does not reflect what would happen against good competition. Morris has been inconsistent against good competition. Williams is predicted to be our starter next year. This will happen despite the fact he has performed well, but only against poor competition. The locker room's loyalty to Morris's leadership supercedes their loyalty to coaches and the desire to win games.

Is that close to the arguments in a nutshell?

Last I checked, we are undefeated and we beat the Florida Gators with a team led by Stephen Morris.

Talkin about Ryan Williams.....

Both the NCAA PS3 yank a guy for the other guy willy nilly and the Morris will have PTSD if he is benched arguments are clown arguments. As is any suggestion that Morris has changed much -- still as consistently inconsistent as ever. It's a situation that's much tougher and concerning than we expected (except Pecos the Diver actually).

Advertisement
Here I'll make it easy for you to understand. I... Don't.... Agree.... With.... Golden..... Leaving.... Gimpy.... Morris.... In.... The.... Game..... While.... He's.... Playing... Like... ****...

And I don't give a **** what your opinion is. I love Golden as coach and this team is 6-0 but I don't agree with that decision. Williams is supposed to be the possible starter next year so why he wasn't given a shot doesn't make any sense to me.

You. Don't. Get. It. You say you don't care about my opinion, but want me to value yours? Yeah, makes sense.

do you understand how a screen play works smh? Morris isn't sitting there looking at Dallas he's trying to draw the defenders up field so that Dallas can slip behind them. Seantral was supposed to push his man up the field instead he went regular pass pro and actually pushed to **** back towards were the screen was going. It was his ****** execution of the play why he was beating himself up after the play and he wasn't in the game in the fourth or did you fail notice he was not on the field for either TD drive?

Do YOU understand, that Dallas was NOT open on that play? Morris was looking RIGHT at him and instead of throwing it away, or into the ground, tried to force it in where like he does whenever he is pressured, and hit SH on the helmet. You NEVER wing the ball up on an inside screen that high anyway, preceisely because someone could tip it and pick it. The play itself may have been busted for other reasons, but Morris was looking RIGHT at them, and still tried to drill the ball to Crawford even thought he didnt have a clear line to him. This is not unusual, but something he has done CONSISTENTLY. He will SEE that its not there, and STILL try to force it in, its like his arm doesnt get the message from his brain to not fire the ball.

it looked to me like there was a defender right there ready to step in front of Crawford on the play.

Last I checked, we are undefeated and we beat the Florida Gators with a team led by Stephen Morris.

Talkin about Ryan Williams.....

So you're saying you have nothing to dispute in my listed points so you declare the debate is over?

In that case I'm saying Whooptie Do!

Advertisement
Back