The right seat on the bus

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
If there is one area where Golden has already lapped Shannon, it's putting players "on the right seat of the bus." What I mean is, you can have great athletes on the bus, but if they're out of position they'll drag you down.

With Shannon, you had Ryan Hill languishing at receiver, Shields spending an unnecessary year at receiver, and Chambers trudging along at running back. The only good move I can remember was Tervaris Johnson to TE.

Golden is the opposite. Ojomo to DT, Dye to TE, Cornelius to hybrid LB/S. Even Jeremy Lewis looks pretty good at guard. Clements was moved to safety when Storm was here because Golden knew he could always go back to RB. When Storm left, he moved right back. Coach Al prides himself on having a vision for each player and being honest with them about their development. I think his personnel decisions have validated that.

Attachments

• LawrenceCager.jpg
    LawrenceCager.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 22,435
Advertisement
Need to see some results first.

Randy moved guys around, mostly late...got little results.
We haven't gotten results from Al, although, I feel as though he's more proactive. Ojomo's played ok...Dye's not really played much, Cornelius looks like a career special teamer, as we haven't seen Lewis. Clements looks like a core special teamer and a player that would be "ok" anywhere he played.

Just want to see some results right now...haven't seen them yet.

I don't know if the Ojomo move was absolute necessity or an evaluation gamble paid off (almost certainly it was some of both), but either way it has been surprisingly productive for both our team and Ojomo personally. Early on you have to acknowledge this area has been a positive for Golden, and it's a critical skill when you look at the importance of squeezing productivity in any capacity out of some mid or lower tier kids (who can sometimes move up a tier simply by a change in bus seat).

Now if we can just get Brandon Washington to resume the aisle seat rather than the window seat...

I don't know if you can say we haven't seen any results yet as opposed to the moves actually making sense to begin with.

Attachments

• CyrusFagan.jpg
    CyrusFagan.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 14,529
Advertisement
If Golden's driving a big bus, he needs to ensure Kehoe has his area in order. I think they're in there playing musical chairs. Literally.

Attachments

• app.jpg
    app.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 12,016
If Golden's driving a big bus, he needs to ensure Kehoe has his area in order. I think they're in there playing musical chairs. Literally.
\

I mean, I get it...the OL under Stoutland was always pretty much the same. Guys rarely moved around and if they did, didn't really play. The biggest move they made was kicking Franklin out to tackle.

It seems, they are constantly shuffling the deck around to see what they really got. Outside of Horn and Gunn, everyone's been moved around, flopping sides, positions, etc. I figure by the half-way mark, they'd kind of settle in, but new guys are "constantly emerging" and earning a form of PT. Hopefully this will benefit Miami in the long run, but the Kehoe Shuffle is always worrisome.

Attachments

• BigVaughn.jpg
    BigVaughn.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 15,902
Advertisement
We definitely need continuity on the O-line. Hopefully Seantrell shores up LT and Washington could play where he belongs.

Attachments

• SHAQQ.jpg
    SHAQQ.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 11,423
Hard to make (or not make) all the moves you want when there are so many holes on the team. If were lucky, this will begin to look like a 'team' next year. having said that, I trust AGs moves more than I trust RS. Ojomo inside makes a ton of sense.

Attachments

• TheWork.jpg
    TheWork.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 13,225
The difference I see is that Golden seems to recognize these things a little faster.

Like a few years faster.

No idea how it will work out but there's no sense in sparing feelings or trying to force someone to be good at a spot because that's where he was recruited at.

I think you also have to remember that he's playing with a "short deck". He's trying to figure out where to put guys that are languishing because, let's be honest, they're not that great. Randy was doing this with players that he recruited himself! I'd be surprised if all this shuffling continues to happen once Golden gets his guys in here. To me, this just further proves the point that Randy was inept at recruiting....

Advertisement
Ojomo was a DE that ran a 4.7. No way he is going to get to the QB in time. I think DT was ultimately his best position for his size and speed. This way he will be a speed DT instead of a slow DE. With guys like Chick and Vernon as bookends, and the new guys coming in that are of similar style, this was really Ojomo's only option.

We just need to have at least one dominant DT and I think that would solve alot of our problems with the defensive line.

2 would be great but I think 1 is suffice.

Attachments

• CyXzTtIXUAADrck.jpg
    CyXzTtIXUAADrck.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 944
  • Cq4fKTNWAAEP0Fm.jpg
    Cq4fKTNWAAEP0Fm.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 6,273
Ojomo was a DE that ran a 4.7. No way he is going to get to the QB in time. I think DT was ultimately his best position for his size and speed. This way he will be a speed DT instead of a slow DE. With guys like Chick and Vernon as bookends, and the new guys coming in that are of similar style, this was really Ojomo's only option.

We just need to have at least one dominant DT and I think that would solve alot of our problems with the defensive line.

2 would be great but I think 1 is suffice.

4.7, if that's what he really runs, is plenty fast for a D end. Honestly, that's probably around what most QB's run. College teams have inflated their 40 times so much that people don't really grasp what good 40 times are. Every school lists their wideouts, backs, cb's, etc as being 4.4 and under when in reality most teams probably only have a handful of guys total who run a 4.4.

If Ojomo kills it this off season and comes in at 285 next season, he could make some serious $ as a 3-4 DE.

Attachments

• IMG_2925.jpg
    IMG_2925.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 10,899
Advertisement
The shuffling on the OL will be settled this offseason IMO. With another year to condition and develop some sync, Kehoe should have an ideal situation for next season. Henderson not being 100% has caused our staff to try and get game experience for Bunche that will be huge for next year.

With Ojomo, he is looking so much more physical at the LOS than any other DT in a few years. I constantly observe him slapping OL and persuing the ball at a fast-twitch pace. With a year to get stronger he could get drafted in the late rounds. He just needs to gain weight and get coached up. A year will be great for him and our defense.

Attachments

• DJJ.jpg
    DJJ.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 10,432

Do you think Golden will make a change this off-season?

Attachments

• IMG_4196.jpg
    IMG_4196.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 5,111
Advertisement
Back