The real story

• Thread starter Deleted member 25719
  • Start date
Do some of you really need a poster named Bernie to tell you pathetic the football program is? Especially when compared to when many of us became fans.

All the admin will do is point to their record this year and scream improvement. Diaz is here for the foreseeable.

Advertisement
From people that would know both at UM and other programs:
The entire football program is a mess, starting with the administration, BOT, AD, Football ops, coaching staff and players, other than that we are in good shape. Since Butch Davis left UM, the program has been in a decline and just when you think you’ve seen rock bottom, the hole gets deeper and yesterday was a disgrace at multiple levels. Until the university and the administration balls up and commits to rebuilding the Hurricanes from the ground up, Miami football is dead. You don’t build successful programs with smoke and mirrors, cheap tallk, chains, rings and hiring Ed Reed as nothing more than a publicity stunt when you could hire an NFL executive with ties to every university and every NFL front and office in the country. You don’t have a glorified ticket salesman in charge of an athletic department when you can have a Gino Torretta as your AD,bright, articulate, respected in the college football business and so on. We are a minor league operation and it has been this way for nearly two decades. I know what a successful college football program looks like, my nephew is high up the food chain at Ohio State. They run a factory, from the President to Gene Smith, to football ops to Urban as an advisor. Compared to what we have, tell me what is different. Please take your orange and green glasses off, put down the pom-poms and admit Miami football right now is a minor league operation and until until someone decides to change it from the ground up, what you’ve seen is what you’ll get. I have a lot more but I got tired of typing

Yeah, sadly, we have too many clown fans who really know nothing about our program and crap all over those of us who recommend UM alums for particular roles in the program.

I've been in favor of bringing in Alonzo Highsmith for years. Gino would be a great hire at AD, he would immediately improve the capital fund-raising situation. I'd love to see Winston Moss take over the D.

But we have some idiot fans who think that because Ray Lewis III did not pan out, that we should run away from any/every UM alum.

I've said it before, first we need to get a new University President, then he/she needs to hire a new AD, and then we can start to turn the Titanic.

The myth is this Miami has money garbage.

The University and the Athletic Department are two separately run businesses. The University essentially does not contribute to the football program. Its the other way around. The football program pays UM 85x the cost of tuition. That is the extent of the financial relationship.

The football program (and all sports) are an autonomous business. The revenues generated by the sports business determines what can be spent.

The revenues at Miami are 1/2 of that of Bama/UGA/Ohio State/etc which means we have 1/2 as much to spend on our sports teams.

Can we hire a great young coach and can we make our money go further by being smart about who is hired? Yes.

Is it going to make up for a $40-70M difference in spending .... not likely and certainly not for any sustained period of time.

If the NFL had no salary cap would Bill Belichek be considered a genius if the Pats spent 1/2 as much as the top 10 teams in the league? Maybe for a while but not long term. Basically NCAAF is like MLB. The Rays or Marlins can be a top team every once in a while but the Dodgers/Yankees are a top team every single year.

This post is proof that you don't know what you are talking about. You can't even keep "the Athletic Department" and "the football program" separate, though plenty of know-nothings have that same problem.

And you have no clue about endowed scholarships.

This post is proof that you don't know what you are talking about. You can't even keep "the Athletic Department" and "the football program" separate, though plenty of know-nothings have that same problem.

And you have no clue about endowed scholarships.
OK buddy. You clearly do not know anything about how D1 college athletic departments are run. They are autonomous businesses that effectively get zero money from the school general budget. FSU had to call on boosters to fill an ATHLETIC DEPT budget shortfall.

An endowed ATHLETIC scholarship is just that ... money set aside from a donor to the ATHLETIC Dept to pay for a scholarship. Not sure how that is even relevant to this discussion since all that happens is the endowment pays the school for the cost of tuition for that one scholarship instead of being paid from the athletic budget.

Please tell me exactly how the athletic department handles its revenues and expenses and point me to where any of the revenue comes directly from the general school budget. I'll save you some time searching the internet, it doesn't.

In fact, the athletic department's 2nd or 3rd largest annual expense on its balance sheet behind salaries for coaches and administration and possibly facilities is for paying the University the tution/fees/room & board for the scholarship athletes.

OK buddy. You clearly do not know anything about how D1 college athletic departments are run. They are autonomous businesses that effectively get zero money from the school general budget. FSU had to call on boosters to fill an ATHLETIC DEPT budget shortfall.

An endowed ATHLETIC scholarship is just that ... money set aside from a donor to the ATHLETIC Dept to pay for a scholarship. Not sure how that is even relevant to this discussion since all that happens is the endowment pays the school for the cost of tuition for that one scholarship instead of being paid from the athletic budget.

Please tell me exactly how the athletic department handles its revenues and expenses and point me to where any of the revenue comes directly from the general school budget. I'll save you some time searching the internet, it doesn't.

In fact, the athletic department's 2nd or 3rd largest annual expense on its balance sheet behind salaries for coaches and administration and possibly facilities is for paying the University the tution/fees/room & board for the scholarship athletes.

You are a buffoon.

Allow me to quote you: "In fact, the athletic department's 2nd or 3rd largest annual expense on its balance sheet behind salaries for coaches and administration and possibly facilities is for paying the University the tution/fees/room & board for the scholarship athletes."

Right there, you lose all credibility. There is no such thing as an "annual expense" on a "balance sheet". You aren't even bright enough to keep your financial statements straight.

Nearly all of Miami's athletic scholarships are already endowed. Prior to the Nevin Shapiro scandal, it was called the "Living Scholars Program". As an example, I used to be roommates at UM with a guy who is in the UM Sports Hall of Fame. Each year, he was one of the (non-football) athletes who would go down on the football field during halftime of a game to be recognized, so that the donor behind his scholarship could have his name read out loud and get credit for giving the money that endowed a scholarship. Those named and endowed scholarships involved multi-million dollar gifts. The money is then invested and the EARNINGS pay for the tuition/room & board/books. Therefore, if you look at the INCOME STATEMENT (or Profit & Loss Statement) and NOT the Balance Sheet, you would see that there is both income from investments in the Student Athlete Scholarship Fund (as it is now known), and then an annual allocation/recognition of the scholarship expense that is incurred each year (and remitted to the University of Miami proper).

Therefore, the Athletic Scholarships are not funded from the ACC revenue share or the game-day tickets, but from donations that have been made over the past decades which are invested and generate revenue of their own. And you clearly have no idea of the difference between Balance Sheets and Income Statements and Statements of Cash Flow, so just stop acting like you have any insight here. So, yeah, all of your false claims about how the Athletic Department's "second or third largest expense on its balance sheet" is tuition is just wrong. And "facilities" is a CAPITAL EXPENDITURE item, NOT an annual recurring budget item on the P&L.

As for other revenue that comes from the University proper, and NOT the Athletic Department, there are numerous sources. And, yeah, a clueless buffoon like yourself is not going to be able to figure it out by "googling". One source of money that UM pays into the Athletic Department is from the Student Athletic Fee. As an undergrad, grad, and law student, I paid the fee every year that I was enrolled at UM. Now, you can try to pooh-pooh that money, but it is money that is charged to each student by the Bursar (and fortunately for me, was covered in my financial aid), and that gets paid over from the general UM operating account into the Athletic Department budget. Furthermore, there is also a revenue stream from the licensing of the various logos (split-U, Sebastian) which were developed by the Athletic Department.

Advertisement

Miami football would have a lot more money if they won more games.

You can complain all you want about Miami having less money than Alabama or whoever, but the REASON that is the case is because Miami puts out a **** product and nobody wants to buy the tickets, merchandise, or donate their hard earned money to support a loser.

The fact that Miami football is operating with a smaller budget than the big boys is not a structural problem Miami faces, it's evidence of mismanagement.

In other words, fire Blake James.

Been saying this since the 2000's when maimi hired Shannon . Miami just isn't serious about football and Blake James is the worst AD in the history of sports. He's now responsible for hiring two coaches who have had record setting performances and not the good kind.

Not surprised at all. If you talk to most any of Miami spoiled non athletic alums all they care about is the reputation and status od the university academic wise mind you most people wouldn't even give a dam about Miami had it not been for the football team. Miami has basically parlayed the success of the football team and have tried to use that popularity to turn Miami into Stanford south. Funny thing is you can still have a great football team/ athletics and have an outstanding academic reputation but Miami folks don't see it that way I guess. Its pretty obvious they don't give a dam. That's how James can continually get away with hiring these POS coaches.
The academics aren’t that hot anymore, either. Just mediocre these days.

You are a buffoon.

Allow me to quote you: "In fact, the athletic department's 2nd or 3rd largest annual expense on its balance sheet behind salaries for coaches and administration and possibly facilities is for paying the University the tution/fees/room & board for the scholarship athletes."

Right there, you lose all credibility. There is no such thing as an "annual expense" on a "balance sheet". You aren't even bright enough to keep your financial statements straight.

Nearly all of Miami's athletic scholarships are already endowed. Prior to the Nevin Shapiro scandal, it was called the "Living Scholars Program". As an example, I used to be roommates at UM with a guy who is in the UM Sports Hall of Fame. Each year, he was one of the (non-football) athletes who would go down on the football field during halftime of a game to be recognized, so that the donor behind his scholarship could have his name read out loud and get credit for giving the money that endowed a scholarship. Those named and endowed scholarships involved multi-million dollar gifts. The money is then invested and the EARNINGS pay for the tuition/room & board/books. Therefore, if you look at the INCOME STATEMENT (or Profit & Loss Statement) and NOT the Balance Sheet, you would see that there is both income from investments in the Student Athlete Scholarship Fund (as it is now known), and then an annual allocation/recognition of the scholarship expense that is incurred each year (and remitted to the University of Miami proper).

Therefore, the Athletic Scholarships are not funded from the ACC revenue share or the game-day tickets, but from donations that have been made over the past decades which are invested and generate revenue of their own. And you clearly have no idea of the difference between Balance Sheets and Income Statements and Statements of Cash Flow, so just stop acting like you have any insight here. So, yeah, all of your false claims about how the Athletic Department's "second or third largest expense on its balance sheet" is tuition is just wrong. And "facilities" is a CAPITAL EXPENDITURE item, NOT an annual recurring budget item on the P&L.

As for other revenue that comes from the University proper, and NOT the Athletic Department, there are numerous sources. And, yeah, a clueless buffoon like yourself is not going to be able to figure it out by "googling". One source of money that UM pays into the Athletic Department is from the Student Athletic Fee. As an undergrad, grad, and law student, I paid the fee every year that I was enrolled at UM. Now, you can try to pooh-pooh that money, but it is money that is charged to each student by the Bursar (and fortunately for me, was covered in my financial aid), and that gets paid over from the general UM operating account into the Athletic Department budget. Furthermore, there is also a revenue stream from the licensing of the various logos (split-U, Sebastian) which were developed by the Athletic Department.

Miami currently had the 9th most lucrative apparel contract in CFB. 6.5 mil per year. Not bad for a program that hasn't finished in the top 10 since 2005.

I was discussing with the fine gentleman you are quibbling with now in another thread, but you effectively captured why Miami isn't nearly as poor as some posters think.

Miami currently had the 9th most lucrative apparel contract in CFB. 6.5 mil per year. Not bad for a program that hasn't finished in the top 10 since 2005.

I was discussing with the fine gentleman you are quibbling with now in another thread, but you effectively captured why Miami isn't nearly as poor as some posters think.

I have no problems when people have complaints or issues. I don't mind if they make their points articulately and passionately.

I can't stand it when people just make ****e up and lie in such obvious and ridiculous fashion.

Advertisement
I have no problems when people have complaints or issues. I don't mind if they make their points articulately and passionately.

I can't stand it when people just make ****e up and lie in such obvious and ridiculous fashion.

The long and short of it is that Diaz's Mickey Mouse staff isn't a result of Miami not giving him money. He picked exactly who he wanted.

Mark Richt was the highest paid coach in the ACC coastal and third highest paid in the ACC. Manny Diaz currently has a larger salary than Mack Brown.

Money is not the issue. If Warren Buffett donated his entire fortune to the UM Football program, I honestly think the program would still be a failure because of the people running the show.

Actually, you don't get it clown.

Alabama football had $125M in revenue and $60M in PROFIT on football last year. They have more analysts that aren't even considered coaches that have head coaching experience at P5 programs than we have interns.

Miami doesn't even spend $40M on its football program.

THEY SPEND WAY MORE MONEY AND ITS NOT EVEN CLOSE.

98 out of 100 times you get what you pay for.

As for the rest of your comment about what I do/don't know dip**** ... I graduated from UM and have been a 25+ year season ticket holder and have had a career in finance since graduating so I'm pretty confident I know at least as much as you about the Miami football program and how finance and economics work.
Yea, *****.

Total control of football operations including his own choice for AD and final say on hiring and firing staff.Also a recruiting coordinator of his choice who had experience at a major program and the league. Additionally he woluld build a football ops department competitive with real programs. The control he demanded scared multiple people
****... we need to revist his proposition, that **** sounds nice

Advertisement
The long and short of it is that Diaz's Mickey Mouse staff isn't a result of Miami not giving him money. He picked exactly who he wanted.

Mark Richt was the highest paid coach in the ACC coastal and third highest paid in the ACC. Manny Diaz currently has a larger salary than Mack Brown.

Money is not the issue. If Warren Buffett donated his entire fortune to the UM Football program, I honestly think the program would still be a failure because of the people running the show.

All true. We may not have "as much" money as the SEC, but we have enough to pay the coaches and staff.

And the Board of Trustees does not "want Miami to be mediocre", they just don't know how to get a cutthroat AD to rebuild the program. We got lucky with Sam and we were adequate with Paul Dee, but in between...we hired Maggot, Hocuntt, the Shermanator, and Beta Blake. So

It's fair to criticize what is happening with our ADs, but most people don't pay attention to the fact that Miami tends to have fairly stable and long-tenured university president administrations. Prior to the disaster known as Julio Frenk, the SHORTEST tenure by a UM President was 10 years. Donna went 15 and Tad went 20. So there haven't been as many opportunities for our "new president" to put his/her stamp on the Athletic Department. Foote hired THREE ADs, Jankovich, Maggart, and Dee. He got pretty **** lucky. Shalala hired Hocuntt, the Shermanator, and Beta Blake, which is absolutely disastrous, because Donna preferred "up-and-comers". Frenk has hired NOBODY.

The reality is that we do not have the University President to fire Beta Blake. Covid fvcked up the BOT plan to hire a replacement for Frenk, so who knows when we will have a real University President. By proximity, Manny gets another year too. If Manny doesn't make changes on the D-side, we are locked into this cycle for at least another year.

What we need is for all of the Golden Canes to tell Blake that a change is required. Beta Blake only responds to money, he's a glorified ticket-seller, not an AD.

Longer term, the BOT needs to restructure how the Athletic Department is run and overseen. Our BOT is big and bloated (due largely to the "Emeritus" members). We need to figure out a way to carve out a group within the BOT who knows about, cares about, and wants to oversee the Athletic Department without having to run things past the entire BOT every **** time.

And we need an AD who knows how to AD.

The coaching hires will follow.

All true. We may not have "as much" money as the SEC, but we have enough to pay the coaches and staff.

And the Board of Trustees does not "want Miami to be mediocre", they just don't know how to get a cutthroat AD to rebuild the program. We got lucky with Sam and we were adequate with Paul Dee, but in between...we hired Maggot, Hocuntt, the Shermanator, and Beta Blake. So

It's fair to criticize what is happening with our ADs, but most people don't pay attention to the fact that Miami tends to have fairly stable and long-tenured university president administrations. Prior to the disaster known as Julio Frenk, the SHORTEST tenure by a UM President was 10 years. Donna went 15 and Tad went 20. So there haven't been as many opportunities for our "new president" to put his/her stamp on the Athletic Department. Foote hired THREE ADs, Jankovich, Maggart, and Dee. He got pretty **** lucky. Shalala hired Hocuntt, the Shermanator, and Beta Blake, which is absolutely disastrous, because Donna preferred "up-and-comers". Frenk has hired NOBODY.

The reality is that we do not have the University President to fire Beta Blake. Covid fvcked up the BOT plan to hire a replacement for Frenk, so who knows when we will have a real University President. By proximity, Manny gets another year too. If Manny doesn't make changes on the D-side, we are locked into this cycle for at least another year.

What we need is for all of the Golden Canes to tell Blake that a change is required. Beta Blake only responds to money, he's a glorified ticket-seller, not an AD.

Longer term, the BOT needs to restructure how the Athletic Department is run and overseen. Our BOT is big and bloated (due largely to the "Emeritus" members). We need to figure out a way to carve out a group within the BOT who knows about, cares about, and wants to oversee the Athletic Department without having to run things past the entire BOT every **** time.

Someone started a thread about whether Frenk was renewed. Do you know if that happened? Are we stuck with him until 2025?

Advertisement
Someone started a thread about whether Frenk was renewed. Do you know if that happened? Are we stuck with him until 2025?

I have NOT heard anything about him being renewed. I can understand going "month-to-month" like a bad lease, but I can't see the people at UM giving him an extra 5 years simply because of Covid.

But remember, we have a bunch of not-so-bright fans who like to "give props" to Dr. Frenk simply because he supported playing football this year. Yaaaaay, we got a mediocre 8-2 season in exchange for a vision-less university president for (maybe) another 5 years because our fans don't know how to maintain constant pressure to fire Frenk. Yaaaay. Plus, they like to "give credit where credit is due" for Beta Blake FINALLY building the IPF.

I mean, if anyone cared about accuracy, we probably get the program that our most of our fans deserve.

But I went to UM in the 80s and 90s. I'm greedy. I want championships.

I disagree with this comment, at least in what it really means. They may not 'want' mediocrity, in the sense that they'd be happy with wins. But they are unwilling to do any of the things required to win, unwilling to critically assess what is required, and willing to tolerate failure. So from how I see it, that's a board that doesn't want Miami to be a major program. If they did, you'd see different actions and different outcomes.

That's really the problem. They don't care. Assessing failure isn't that hard. The BOT has members on it who have had enough success and experience in other endeavors that they know -- or should -- what incompetence looks like. We're 15+ years into it staring us in the face. Stalin had a 5 year plan. You're telling me this BOT can't even have a 20 year plan?

There are only two ways to explain the past 2 decades. Either UM's BOT wants success but is the most incompetent collection of incompetent incompetents ever incompetently assembled, or they just don't care enough to do anything to upset their other priorities, whatever they are (progressivism, UHealth, social justice, whatever).

I have NOT heard anything about him being renewed. I can understand going "month-to-month" like a bad lease, but I can't see the people at UM giving him an extra 5 years simply because of Covid.

But remember, we have a bunch of not-so-bright fans who like to "give props" to Dr. Frenk simply because he supported playing football this year. Yaaaaay, we got a mediocre 8-2 season in exchange for a vision-less university president for (maybe) another 5 years because our fans don't know how to maintain constant pressure to fire Frenk. Yaaaay. Plus, they like to "give credit where credit is due" for Beta Blake FINALLY building the IPF.

I mean, if anyone cared about accuracy, we probably get the program that our most of our fans deserve.

But I went to UM in the 80s and 90s. I'm greedy. I want championships.
I have no problem with "props" or "credit where due", because neither means that all the warts are removed. The interesting thing about this loss is that if it were close, change would be much less likely.

We are of the same vintage. I want championships as well. I seriously doubt that will happen with Blakes James as AD.

Advertisement
Back