The question Manny needs to be asked

It's entitlement because you have no reason to have it and you don't deserve it. It's potentially detrimental to the team to satisfy YOUR needs.

It's the definition of entitlement.
Spoken like a man with zero gray in his life. Thanks for not responding to any of the examples I provided.

The standard for football practice in America is open, on a variable scale. I’d like us to comply with that standard. I am not demanding anything of anyone, I’m not putting my support on the line or using his decision as an indicator of future success. It isn’t that, it’s a gift to the community.

There is no evidence that it is detrimental to a given program, that’s a fairy tale HCs tell themselves because they’re so freaking paranoid (and apparently a few fans too). Alabama was far less restrictive than Miami was last year, again, in keeping with the norms of the sport at large.

People who asked for new uniforms weren’t entitled. People who asked for more points or a spread O or a better stadium experience or an IPF or a more exciting D or any other perfectly reasonable (if not agreeable) requests were not speaking from entitlement, and asking to view more than 15 minutes of stretching is not either.

Advertisement
I don’t care about practices but last year it went too far. They wouldn’t even give statistics from scrimmages because it must reveal our whole game plan to know which QB threw the ball better.

Closed practices do seem to kill the buzz around a program. Or at the very least, don't add to the buzz.

VT fans have complained about this a lot. The kind of closed off nature to their staff and how it's hurt them in recruiting and creating excitement since Day 1.

Just a bit more access to the fans in general. Don’t be greedy. Also with the Acc network coming on board soon I’m sure they will ask for more access.

Advertisement
“Coach, will practice be open?”

Of all the things Richt did that ate me up, it was keeping Golden’s authoritarian approach to practice intact. I know it makes them feel safer, I know it makes defensive coordinators forget how to watch film and OCs have to coach with a sleep mask on game day, but it really, REALLY ****es off the most obsessive passionate fans of the program.

El Jefe, please, for the love of all that celebrates the game and your team let the fans have full access to practice, or close to it.

There are some very good reasons for closed practices. Secrecy gives you certain advantages.

BUT there are times and sessions that providing access will absolutely not provide aid and comfort to the enemy....maybe a few of those can be made available to the public at the coach's discretion just for PR

Bottom line: There is no public "right" to view football practices....and really what coach wants additional scrutiny from anyone

Last edited:
No reason not to do this with spring practices. Need all the momentum we can get.

When it comes to the season, and in particular game day planning, makes sense to keep it closed.

Are you saying open, like let the fans come to practice or allow the media to be there & report on it?

Advertisement
There are some very good reasons for closed practices. Secrecy can give us certain advantages.

BUT there are times and sessions that providing access will absolutely not provide aid and comfort to the enemy....maybe a few of those can be made available to the public at the coach's discretion.

Bottom line: There is no public "right" to view football practices
Appreciate your thoughts on this. I don’t think any coach should give up restricting practice as he sees fit, that’s not what I’m saying. But having a more open policy for most of even half the practice sessions is more than reasonable and would be so exciting to the fans.

I have no idea why anyone thinks that we’re suggesting the fans have a “right” or are entitled to this level of access. You can ask for things without calling them a right. This one just happens to be something that most other programs have.

Are you saying open, like let the fans come to practice or allow the media to be there & report on it?

Media report on and have access to. I’d love it if fans could attend some but because the time is so unworkable (and I don’t live in the state of Florida so it didn’t occur to me) I’m not taking specifically about fan access.

Spoken like a man with zero gray in his life. Thanks for not responding to any of the examples I provided.

The standard for football practice in America is open, on a variable scale. I’d like us to comply with that standard. I am not demanding anything of anyone, I’m not putting my support on the line or using his decision as an indicator of future success. It isn’t that, it’s a gift to the community.

There is no evidence that it is detrimental to a given program, that’s a fairy tale HCs tell themselves because they’re so freaking paranoid (and apparently a few fans too). Alabama was far less restrictive than Miami was last year, again, in keeping with the norms of the sport at large.

People who asked for new uniforms weren’t entitled. People who asked for more points or a spread O or a better stadium experience or an IPF or a more exciting D or any other perfectly reasonable (if not agreeable) requests were not speaking from entitlement, and asking to view more than 15 minutes of stretching is not either.

Literally none of your examples involve making widely available what we're doing schematically and the plays we run as they impact the outcome of a game.

Why don't we just publish the playbook?

Advertisement
Ah yes, God forbid we get to preview what we’re buying season tickets for. Why should the team do anything for the fans? Shut down spring games, Cane fest, any practice access, and raise ticket prices!

If you argue with this, your entitled *sarcasm font*

Get to preview what you're buying season tickets for? Are you kidding with this?

So if you watch practices and don't like what you see... you're going to choose to not support the team that season.

Not only is this a whole different level of stupid, I don't think you know what entitlement is.

Literally none of your examples involve making widely available what we're doing schematically and the plays we run as they impact the outcome of a game.

Why don't we just publish the playbook?
You seem so uneducated about how common open practices are that I don’t know how to have this conversation anymore.

Preach! That ****ed me off so much about Richt! Go so tired of the first 15 minutes of practice get that shxt out of here please!

Advertisement
Why do fans feel entitled to have access to practice when they have nothing better to do? How do you work with some one peering over your shoulder and do most capitalists want to expose their planning process and contents to the world?
I agree. You'll have a bunch of fans and enemies of the programs posting things about practice both good and bad. Open practice is not a good idea in this day and age of social media.

Appreciate your thoughts on this. I don’t think any coach should give up restricting practice as he sees fit, that’s not what I’m saying. But having a more open policy for most of even half the practice sessions is more than reasonable and would be so exciting to the fans.

I have no idea why anyone thinks that we’re suggesting the fans have a “right” or are entitled to this level of access. You can ask for things without calling them a right. This one just happens to be something that most other programs have.

I hear you clearly......There are a lot of things involving the players that would make things more exciting for the fans.....problem is very few of them will help win games, which is the coach's highest priority.

I can see some practice closing sessions like goal line defense, punt/ko returns and coverage being made available at any time ....but I also disagree that "This one ( access) just happens to be something that most other programs have."......Hmmmm maybe teams just like locking their practices whenever I'm visiting their campus...never took it personally before .....If you're right maybe I should

Last edited:
“Coach, will practice be open?”

Of all the things Richt did that ate me up, it was keeping Golden’s authoritarian approach to practice intact. I know it makes them feel safer, I know it makes defensive coordinators forget how to watch film and OCs have to coach with a sleep mask on game day, but it really, REALLY ****es off the most obsessive passionate fans of the program.

El Jefe, please, for the love of all that celebrates the game and your team let the fans have full access to practice, or close to it.
.animated_1547506869275.gif

Advertisement
Back