The problem is simple...

"Talent" is worthless if its not developed. Who was the last five-star player that really lived up to the billing? Duke Johnson? Before that? Kenny Phillips?

We've had a lot of blue chippers Coker Era forward and most of them fall on the side of underachiever. We have had 25 consensus five-star players per 247 since 2000...only EIGHT of them played more than three years in the NFL. So, when we go back and say "the NFL will judge us"...yeah, they have and Miami has some talent, but a lot of that talent is ******* cheeks and were bills of goods. Blame who you want.

There were articles a few years back talking about most underachieving teams in college football...and THREE of the top five were Florida, Florida State, and Miami. Listen man, I am all for state of Florida players. Especially South Florida players. They are awesome. ...but there are also a lot of really overrated players from the area as well and we just so happen to get a lot of them.

Miami has a lot of problems...institutional, administratively, coaching...but Miami has a talent problem - extend that to cultural problem, too.

Advertisement
It's amazing how every August our talent is through the roof, but when the losses start it turns out we don't have any talent.

Why would anyone pay attention to that crap every August? Why subject yourself? At some point there is a past performance chart, like a racehorse.

The NFL Draft is often used as reference point. During the supposedly miserable '70s we had 7 first round draft picks, and 5 of them were in the first half of the first round. During the 2010s the Canes had 4 first round picks, and only the great Ereck Flowers was first half of the round.

If it had been the '70s with only 26-28 NFL teams (depending on year) then Dorsett and Njoku wouldn't have made it into the first round. Both of them were picked 29th.

The elite talent simply hasn't been there. Guys are hyped but then drop to the 3rd to 5th round, if not lower. Then somehow they are remembered for where we wanted them to be selected, instead of what actually happened.

Why would anyone pay attention to that crap every August? Why subject yourself? At some point there is a past performance chart, like a racehorse.

The NFL Draft is often used as reference point. During the supposedly miserable '70s we had 7 first round draft picks, and 5 of them were in the first half of the first round. During the 2010s the Canes had 4 first round picks, and only the great Ereck Flowers was first half of the round.

If it had been the '70s with only 26-28 NFL teams (depending on year) then Dorsett and Njoku wouldn't have made it into the first round. Both of them were picked 29th.

The elite talent simply hasn't been there. Guys are hyped but then drop to the 3rd to 5th round, if not lower. Then somehow they are remembered for where we wanted them to be selected, instead of what actually happened.
I never said we were putting stars in the league, but we are getting players there. A lot more of them then our record would suggest. My point isn't that we're loaded, only that we've got enough talent to win the games we're losing. We aren't getting out-muscled by bama, we're getting out-schemed and out-executed by UNC and CMU.

I am not going to pretend I know what the problem is but safe to say that we do not have the 18th most talented team as suggested by 247.

Those that say coaching is the problem have a great argument but to say that is the only problem is to be blind to the obvious talent issues we also have.

That could be true. Let’s go with that thought. Does Miami have top 30 talent? Top 40? Top 50?

Because the results in 2018 and into 2019 are basically a 7-6 team.

No matter what anyone thinks we should be able to readily agree this team doesn’t play up to its talent level (whatever that level is).

BS This team has enough talent to be a top 15 team right now.

THE PROBLEMS ARE:

1. Mindset/Culture - Not Everyone Shows Up Game- In Game-Out

2. Player Leadership - Who is on the Sidelines Refusing to loose and getting in other players **** for not doing their Jobs

3. Coaching/Schemes - I prefer a Pro-Style Offense and Like Enos, but he has to go More Spread/RPO/Shotgun and Uptempo until he gets the type of Oline that he needs to run his Power Offense. Also Manny Diaz came in and gave us a great attacking and physical Defense, now he lets Baker come in and makes the Defense more contain and prevent.

Make the necessary changes man before we throw the season away!!!

Advertisement
BS This team has enough talent to be a top 15 team right now.

THE PROBLEMS ARE:

1. Mindset/Culture - Not Everyone Shows Up Game- In Game-Out

2. Player Leadership - Who is on the Sidelines Refusing to loose and getting in other players **** for not doing their Jobs

3. Coaching/Schemes - I prefer a Pro-Style Offense and Like Enos, but he has to go More Spread/RPO/Shotgun and Uptempo until he gets the type of Oline that he needs to run his Power Offense. Also Manny Diaz came in and gave us a great attacking and physical Defense, now he lets Baker come in and makes the Defense more contain and prevent.

Make the necessary changes man before we throw the season away!!!

Can I have whatever you're on? I really want some.

Because our talent isn't nearly top 15. We have a 2 star OT and our OL is one of the worst in the country. Our LBs are insanely overrate and our secondary is very young. Our QB is a freshmen. Sorry, we're nowhere close... Our talent level is average and our depth isn't very deep.

1) Manny is trying. He is preaching accountability and will not accept average.
2) This isn't happening on the offense. That's why CMU was as close as they were. We are young and have zero leadership on offense right now. Jarren Williams isn't there yet

3) I agree defensively speaking. I HATE this new scheme we're running. Offensively... no way. Ask any OC to manufacture points with this OL. I'm amazed Enos has been as successful as he has with a freshman QB and the country's worst OL

We simply do not have the talent. The two 5 stars aren't even playing and two 4 stars are QBs, 1 4 star is a WR that doesn't know the playbook. Whats left? Horrible OL, overrated LBs, weak secondary

Advertisement
Back