The Perfect Storm?

supacane

Senior
Every so often a random mid major will show up and shock the college football world. Teams like UCF, Cincinatti, Iowa St for example will come out of nowhere and have a great season or a great season by their standards, double digit wins, big bowl game. Then you wonder how that happened, they can't recruit with the big boys, they don't get the 4 and 5 stars. Then you take a closer look at their rosters and all you see in the depth chart are 4 and 5 year guys and some 3 year guys. Very experienced and mature teams, coached up, bodies filled out. What this gotta do with my point? For the upcoming season Miami is #1 in offensive production returning(95%), #12 in defensive production returning(86%) and #3 overall in both combined(91%). Along with 19 of 22 returning starters. I have always thought and will continue to think the only thing that has been holding us back is coaching, overall. But this season coming i have some confidence in the overall staff Diaz has put together even though they have to go out a prove it as a unit. We are not one of those mid majors who cant get 4 and 5 star guys, we have good portions of 4 stars and some 5 star players but our experience level would be prime for one of those type of teams to cause major upsets. In addition to the staff improvements i think were made as well as key recruits and transfers. Im thinking we maybe in for a perfect storm.

I have said it multiple times, im not taking us in any big game like the opener, we have laid an egg time and time again but this time there may be tangible proof that it maybe different. Bama who we play in week 1 is #110 in returning production and people will say yes but they just plug in blue chips....they will but it will not be the same. LSU plugged in blue chips off their best ever team, they lost both their coordinators and it was not pretty. They seem like they never played football before. Bama lost 11 assistant coaches this past offseason including their OC to Texas. Saban is not a magician, and i dont see Bama falling off like LSU did but im not sure people are using facts in predicting their upcoming season, the more i did research to make this post.

Final point, ESPN did a article before last season and ill take some snippets. They used different metrics to try to predict how teams would fare based on their returning production. Over the previous 6 seasons before last, teams with their offense returning 60% or above in their production averaged about 2 points per game improvement while those below regressed by about 3 points per game. Also only 1 of the 18 teams who returned 90% saw their offensive rating fall, while 9 improved by atleast 7 adjusted points per game. On D its pretty much the same thing, teams returning atleast 85% of their production averaged 5 adjusted points per game improvement, while teams returning 40% or less regressed by the same 5 adjusted points and the key unit that made the most impact on D improvement was the secondary returning players.. Bama returns 33% of their offensive production and 77% not 41 %of their defensive production. I had read that wrong, mad late and i was tired.

For once picking us to make dramatic improvements may not just be blind faith, it might just be a perfect storm.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Every so often a random mid major will show up and shock the college football world. Teams like UCF, Cincinatti, Iowa St for example will come out of nowhere and have a great season or a great season by their standards, double digit wins, big bowl game. Then you wonder how that happened, they can't recruit with the big boys, they don't get the 4 and 5 stars. Then you take a closer look at their rosters and all you see in the depth chart are 4 and 5 year guys and some 3 year guys. Very experienced and mature teams, coached up, bodies filled out. What this gotta do with my point? For the upcoming season Miami is #1 in offensive production returning(95%), #12 in defensive production returning(86%) and #3 overall in both combined(91%). Along with 19 of 22 returning starters. I have always thought and will continue to think the only thing that has been holding us back is coaching, overall. But this season coming i have some confidence in the overall staff Diaz has put together even though they have to go out a prove it as a unit. We are not one of those mid majors who cant get 4 and 5 star guys, we have good portions of 4 stars and some 5 star players but our experience level would be prime for one of those type of teams to cause major upsets. In addition to the staff improvements i think were made as well as key recruits and transfers. Im thinking we maybe in for a perfect storm.

I have said it multiple times, im not taking us in any big game like the opener, we have laid an egg time and time again but this time there may be tangible proof that it maybe different. Bama who we play in week 1 is #110 in returning production and people will say yes but they just plug in blue chips....they will but it will not be the same. LSU plugged in blue chips off their best ever team, they lost both their coordinators and it was not pretty. They seem like they never played football before. Bama lost 11 assistant coaches this past offseason including their OC to Texas. Saban is not a magician, and i dont see Bama falling off like LSU did but im not sure people are using facts in predicting their upcoming season, the more i did research to make this post.

Final point, ESPN did a article before last season and ill take some snippets. They used different metrics to try to predict how teams would fare based on their returning production. Over the previous 6 seasons before last, teams with their offense returning 60% or above in their production averaged about 2 points per game improvement while those below regressed by about 3 points per game. Also only 1 of the 18 teams who returned 90% saw their offensive rating fall, while 9 improved by atleast 7 adjusted points per game. On D its pretty much the same thing, teams returning atleast 85% of their production averaged 5 adjusted points per game improvement, while teams returning 40% or less regressed by the same 5 adjusted points and the key unit that made the most impact on D improvement was the secondary returning players.. Bama returns 33% of their offensive production and 41% of their defensive production.

For once picking us to make dramatic improvements may not just be blind faith, it might just be a perfect storm.
9F79AD3A-221E-4EBF-8C42-D6A666F3748F.gif

Advertisement
Great points

King is the key. He stays healthy and I like our chances in every game we play after Bama.

side note: one thing we always have working against us in this area is teams ALWAYS want to kick our asses

no one overlooks us. We don’t come out of nowhere. We win a couple of games and ESPN starts with the “are they back?” Crap

we are always on everyone’s minds, including the coaches growing up that either despised us or adored us, and either scenario leads to them wanting to crush us

it’s why we remain relevant even though we haven’t made any noise the last 15 years outside of a couple of blips

I love it! So add two points to us and take 3 points from Bama…and we are only projected to lose by 17.5

——-

All jokes aside. You hit the nail when you said coaching.

we should be really excited about this team.

based on the veteran experience and QB we have coming back.

but for sadly for 15 years we’ve had hype without substance.

so it wait and see.

I hope we can get a real signature win here.

Advertisement
My best friend in life is a Bama fan and I texted him this week an told him idc the outcome I'm glad we're playing them this year! I believe in this team I believe in King! Kid is a special leader! The one and only weakness I see in this team is MLB even tho I think the production will be better than last year. I'm not worried about Keontra at all that kid is meant to play linebacker people forget he had 120 tackles in HS I also remember watching a interview he did I think on canesville an that dude seemed like someone u don't **** with! These Freshman are legit! My not so hot take James,LT, Smith, and Kam will all be first round picks on D! Mello, George and Smith are going to ball! Lol George is gonna be a good one loved his film I saw people on here doughting them but they were wrong! Melo is a straight dog an George is Mr always open the separation that kid gets for how "slow" he is is ridiculous. I haven't posted in a while I know every year is our year an we have question marks but I think this team shocks the world! This team is night and day from the team we rolled out with kosi an jarren lol this Kool aid good asf this morning love my team

It’s a point that we often ignore because our guy always leave early but experience matters. When Miami would lose to mediocre ACC teams like Virginia or Georgia Tech, everyone would ask how the team with more talent could lose? It’s because those teams were playing with a ton of fourth and fifth year players. Experienced players tend to make less bonehead mistakes. So even if you’re not the most talented team, if your guys are executing consistently and doing exactly what they’re supposed to do, you’re giving yourself a chance to win. If the more talented team makes a bunch of rookie mistakes like terrible penalties and turnovers, it all falls into place for the more disciplined and experienced team to grab the W.

Advertisement
See 2010 Auburn as the perfect comparison. Had Cam as a transfer QB. I believe they returned 20 starters from the previous year. They came into the season ranked 22, and had only four players on their national championship team drafted. Two first rounders and two seventh rounders

Informative.

Like many have said, there's very few excuses left for Manny this season when it comes to getting to Charlotte and competing there.
I was gonna say that but i didn't want it turn into a negative post and have people ignoring the key points. But the more i look at it i thought this season will all boil down to coaching. 4 and 5 year guys must not be making some of the mistakes we have made in years past.

Advertisement
I'd like to know about the Bama defensive returners as all I've heard is that they return 9 of 11 starters and landed a transfer from Tennessee who's a plug and start guy. The 41% defensive production doesn't add up...
Yeah i misread that. Sorry. Its 77% of defensive production and #41 in the nation. Ill correct it

Last edited:
Even if it doesnt turn into a win against Bama this should make us know that we have literally no excuse against the rest of the schedule.

Advertisement
Back