The pass rush...

Advertisement
It's a talent issue. Right now we don't have a DE that excels at getting to the QB nor do we have top-level cover CBs. Getting back Mesidor, Deen, and Kelly would help a lot. We all know Mesidor is good and I think Kelly, if healthy, will eventually be a good one.

One thing that concerns me throught the first 4 games, has been rush discipline. QBs have consistently gotten outside of our rush.

Advertisement
is making it extremely difficult on our secondary. Having no difference maker off the edge forces our DB's to cover for a longer amount of time. So we blitz, and when you blitz to create pressure you also create bigger windows for QB's to throw into. Good QB's like the one's we'll face in ACC play will find them.

I'm only pointing this out because the secondary has taken the brunt of the "our biggest concern is" comments and I don't agree with it.
Need Kelly to play faster seems timid to me. Could be wrong. Feel like they have him dropping too much that it’s effecting his rush. He is also still banged up too

Advertisement
I think once Kam is back a lot of things will get cleaned up on the backend. They can afford to challenge guys because they know Kam will police everything behind it. Yesterday, they didn’t have that luxury and they probably wanted to limit big plays to avoid a middle Tennessee situation. Only speculating

The pass rush, I’m in wait and see mode. Field conditions weren’t great yesterday, but it’s definitely been lacking.

Our DL will be fierce in about 2 yrs (when Bain, Kelly, Wayne, Moss, Collins & other talented young players have matured, gained strength & played meaningful reps).

After GR & Jaelan left, we had a serious dearth of pass rushing talent for a couple of years. A converted LB was our best pass rusher for a while. Thanks Manolo!

Mario & the staff have added some really good talent on the DL through HS recruiting but they need time to develop & realize their full potential.

We’ve added a good number of impact players through the Portal since Mario was hired except perhaps on the DL where it’s mostly been solid starters & quality depth pieces (except Burroughs who I think will make an impact when he’s eligible next year & maybe Campbell if he puts it all together).

Guidry will scheme up pressure on ACC opponents but it likely won’t come from a base 4-3 (without a blitz). That being said, LT created some pressure against Temple & may be starting to show out more consistently. Moss hasn’t added enough weight to hold up well against the run in the ACC but he’s fast & I’d love to see him standing up & coming off the edge in Guidry’s scheme on likely passing downs (from time to time).

We have some good young talent on the DL but they still need time to develop & realize their full potential. Our DL should be nasty a couple years from now.

Not that it makes a big difference but I was there yesterday. The D plan was fine considering the opponent and field. Guidry didnt need to stat chase for sacks by dialing up exotic blitzes. He rushed 4 all day and they got enough consistent pressure while stopping the run and avoiding big chunk gains. He wasnt going to give up points by playing press man and having one of our cbs slip for an easy 6. He knew we were good enough that they would have a very difficult time putting together 10 play drives by dinking and dunking to what we were giving them.

It worked out just fine

Big picture, op has a point. Moss was supposed to be that guy but obviously isnt ready. We need our Greg Rousseau. Kelly isnt it that type. I have very high hopes for Kelly. But he and that GR type are different players. We just have to continue to get better, scheme well and score points in ACC play. This is our roster

I might be force fed a ton of crow for this opinion later but the gameplan defensively yesterday looked like our offensive gameplan vs the fake miami. Very vanilla, show NOTHING, they might get us a couple times but we'll rally to it and let the clock run. They only scored because of a W E A K *** roughing penalty. I am not majorly concerned, Guidry will dial it up against better competition.

Advertisement
Not a big fan of our philosophy on the back end of our defense. A lot of soft coverage and spot dropping...leaves large open windows in the zones.
CB's playing a ton of off coverage, giving up easy throws.
The commentator yesterday even said something about it and mentioned that Cristobal apparently wanted to see us challenge receivers more at the line.

I even remember seeing a few disgruntled faces on the sidelines after our CB gave up an easy 9 yard hitch route on 3rd down playing off coverage.
100% I mentioned in the gameday thread a few times the spot drops were killing us. I don’t remember Guidry with mismatched front 7/back 7 from his tape at Marshall or consistent spot drops but maybe I misremembered

I think the bigger problem is dropping the D Ends and using our LBs to cover.

Ends need to be rushing. Our LBs aren't good enough. Flagg and Mauigoa consistently get cooked.

We didn't blitz vs Temple.
The de’s dropping is why Guidrys defense is so confusing. There’s no perfect scheme but his is as good as you’ll find to defend todays offenses. My only knock is too much soft coverage in the secondary. Btw our pass rush isn’t as much of an issue as people think, teams are just getting rid of the ball in the quick game not allowing guys to get home. I expect more physical coverage going forward.

Advertisement
Maybe lack of top end speed at CB?
F149B5E1-51A3-4C9A-8C7A-ECD437D96811.jpeg

We absolutely need a Rosseau/Phillips to step up to keep this party going. We need more consistent pressure when rushing 4... no doubt once we hit the meat of the ACC schedule.

Advertisement
Back