The Opening Day 3

Advertisement
Walton's team is getting their **** kicked but **** kid is such a natural pass catcher out of the backfield.

Deon Cain left in dust by a LB on a pick six. Either that LB has some serious wheels or Cain just doesn't have it.

Deon Cain left in dust by a LB on a pick six. Either that LB has some serious wheels or Cain just doesn't have it.

Well there was a lb that ran a 4.39 laser timed 40 yard dash there. I think it was the #1 olb in the nation Malik Jefferson. Idk if it was him, but if it was that would make sense.

Advertisement
I'm at the opening. I had brief conversations with some guys of interest today, and have some general observations to share.

The convos were all brief. Though they were 1 on 1, but of course, take them with a grain of salt.

Jovan Durante - After his games, he changed into full green U gear. Green top with a big U. Green shorts. Might be nothing, but I found it interesting. Asked where we was going to school, he said WV. After a pause, he said "I might still go to Miami."

As you might expect the South FL guys stick together. One group I noticed: Durante, Phillips, Cole, Brewton, K. McFadden, with Coach R. Smith around too. You also couldn't go far without hearing guys, especially Gibson, explaining a big play by saying "that's bc he's from the crib."

Jordan Scarlett - He was beaming about his & Bruce's commitment. I asked who else from out here he was trying to bring with him. Without hesitating, he said Calvin & SBB, mentioning both were once Miami guys. RB's aren't really in a position to shine in this environment, but he got open deep a couple times, and turned the corner on a draw that was impressive. He's got some wheels.

Quick note on Calvin. I had never seen him in person before today. First impression, thought he was too skinny to match the hype. Well, throughout the day, he way exceeded the hype. He was the only real threat on his team. People knew the ball was coming to him, and he still made all kinds of plays. He also shook T McFadden and another corner after the catch on one play in the late game. His teammates and opponents were talking him up. He's sneaky explosive. Doesn't look like he's running hard, then just effortlessly explodes to get separation. He's a Tesla.

Sticking with Calvin's team briefly. J Patrick looks like a BIG linebacker. I wondered about his speed until he caught a crossing route and outran about 4 guys. He was catching passes in traffic too. Here's hoping he stays away from FSU. I hope we never see him play against us. Someone also mentioned the linebacker who ran a 4.39. It's true. His name is Malik Jefferson. Same team. Nasty.

SBB & Gibson didn't play today. SBB said his knee was sore (had it scoped in spring), and Gibson said his ankle was bothering him. Both said they'd likely play tomorrow.

Some thoughts on Gibson's team: T. McFadden made a couple big plays today after struggling a bit in 1 on 1's yesterday (didn't seem to have elite top-end speed). Snoop Jr looked better than G. Campbell. And surprisingly, JuQuan gave up a few big plays. He's known as a cerebral guy, so I was surprised the breakdowns seemed to be him out of position - either from not diagnosing plays or miscommunication.

Also, one So. FL guy had a sideline spat with a well-known coach. I won't mention names, but if someone's ranking unexpectedly drops, remember this. Hopefully he turns it around tomorrow and all will be forgotten.

Mark Walton - He believes he's coming in this class. When I asked which S. Fl guys at the opening he thought might join him. He said "everybody's coming."

Taken together with the recent wave of commitments, it's easy to feel good about the direction of the program.

I'm at the opening. I had brief conversations with some guys of interest today, and have some general observations to share.

The convos were all brief. Though they were 1 on 1, but of course, take them with a grain of salt.

Jovan Durante - After his games, he changed into full green U gear. Green top with a big U. Green shorts. Might be nothing, but I found it interesting. Asked where we was going to school, he said WV. After a pause, he said "I might still go to Miami."

As you might expect the South FL guys stick together. One group I noticed: Durante, Phillips, Cole, Brewton, K. McFadden, with Coach R. Smith around too. You also couldn't go far without hearing guys, especially Gibson, explaining a big play by saying "that's bc he's from the crib."

Jordan Scarlett - He was beaming about his & Bruce's commitment. I asked who else from out here he was trying to bring with him. Without hesitating, he said Calvin & SBB, mentioning both were once Miami guys. RB's aren't really in a position to shine in this environment, but he got open deep a couple times, and turned the corner on a draw that was impressive. He's got some wheels.

Quick note on Calvin. I had never seen him in person before today. First impression, thought he was too skinny to match the hype. Well, throughout the day, he way exceeded the hype. He was the only real threat on his team. People knew the ball was coming to him, and he still made all kinds of plays. He also shook T McFadden and another corner after the catch on one play in the late game. His teammates and opponents were talking him up. He's sneaky explosive. Doesn't look like he's running hard, then just effortlessly explodes to get separation. He's a Tesla.

Sticking with Calvin's team briefly. J Patrick looks like a BIG linebacker. I wondered about his speed until he caught a crossing route and outran about 4 guys. He was catching passes in traffic too. Here's hoping he stays away from FSU. I hope we never see him play against us. Someone also mentioned the linebacker who ran a 4.39. It's true. His name is Malik Jefferson. Same team. Nasty.

SBB & Gibson didn't play today. SBB said his knee was sore (had it scoped in spring), and Gibson said his ankle was bothering him. Both said they'd likely play tomorrow.

Some thoughts on Gibson's team: T. McFadden made a couple big plays today after struggling a bit in 1 on 1's yesterday (didn't seem to have elite top-end speed). Snoop Jr looked better than G. Campbell. And surprisingly, JuQuan gave up a few big plays. He's known as a cerebral guy, so I was surprised the breakdowns seemed to be him out of position - either from not diagnosing plays or miscommunication.

Also, one So. FL guy had a sideline spat with a well-known coach. I won't mention names, but if someone's ranking unexpectedly drops, remember this. Hopefully he turns it around tomorrow and all will be forgotten.

Mark Walton - He believes he's coming in this class. When I asked which S. Fl guys at the opening he thought might join him. He said "everybody's coming."

Taken together with the recent wave of commitments, it's easy to feel good about the direction of the program.

Good stuff fella. Cant help but feel good at the moment

Advertisement

are you going to be at the opening for Day 4 also?

i respect no names mention, but can you tell us if it's a current recruit/target of ours?

Advertisement
http://247sports.com/Article/The-Opening-Wednesday-Alpha-Pro-top-performers-29547612

BEAVERTON, Ore. – Wednesday welcomed pool play for the 7on7 tournament at The Opening and 247Sports was on hand to watch every snap. Below we take a look at the top performers from Alpha Pro.

Tarvarus McFadden led the Alpha Pro defense.

Alpha Dog

In three games, Alpha Pro scored five touchdowns. The biggest came on a defensive score from Tarvarus McFadden. The four-star cornerback out of Plantation (Fla.) American Heritage ripped a long interception return for a touchdown to spark Alpha Pro’s win over the Land Sharks. McFadden shined in man coverage blanketing receivers both long and short. He was also impressive closing in on zone coverage.

Offensive MVP

Whether it was out of the slot, catching seam patterns or ripping off gains on quick draws, Taj Griffin was lethal in space and hard for defenders to handle all over the field when Alpha Pro could get him the ball.

Defensive MVP

McFadden was the top defender but Osa Masina made the most stops. Long, rangy, Masina most importantly possesses tremendous closing speed. He stopped several backs and short crossing routes by a multitude of receivers.

Quick hitters

Alpha Pro finished the day as a 5-seed with a 1-2 record. It won its first round game on Wednesday night and it will face Mach Speed in the second round on Thursday morning.

Along with Griffin, Mark Walton was also at times lethal out of the backfield showcasing his south Florida burst and not losing any motion catching swing patterns out of the backfield.

Quarterback Jarrett Stidham hit his stride in game two connecting on several big throws to George Campbell and hitting a bomb to five-star recruit Torrance Gibson for a 60-yard gain.

Campbell had a couple of drops on the day but also mixed in some big plays down the field that were made in spectacular fashion.

A.J. Turner played heavily on both sides of the football showing that he can excel at running back or safety on the next level.

Four-star wideout Cordell Broadus dropped a pair of long gains in the opener but also rebounded nicely with a pair of touchdown catches in the red zone in the second game.

Signature play

McFadden was a regular racing down the sideline after interceptions on his side of the field. In one of his biggest ones, Rico McGraw got a finger on a ball against Apocalypse and Blake Barnett and McFadden was able to take it the other way for a touchdown. The clip is linked below.

https://vine.co/v/MPQh3UD2rbz

Gibson is a receiver! **** kid needs to realize that already! Come to the u and be a dominant reciever!! C'mon man hop on board!

Advertisement
We're now on Day 4 of The Opening.

Scarlett caught a touchdown earlier this afternoon in 7-on-7s from USC QB commit Ricky Town, according to 247.

Anyone see this? SIAP

[video]http://video-embed.oregonlive.com/services/player/bcpid1949055967001?bctid=3664998697001&bckey=AQ~~,AAAAPLpuSqE~,a1DdoZJH5WQo4iWaJj1w_CktvJ fhQVVG[/video]

:cigar: Scarlett is nasty...

Last edited:
Wow i was expecting to see some lock down coverage and Tarvarus McFadden picks it and takes it to the house. in turn he was standing where the ball was tipped and almost gets caught by the QB

Advertisement
Back