The ones that wanted Lane Kiffin

1664076783229.gif

My reasoning was A. He (Lane) would be easier to fire, if it didn’t work out. B. His offense, I believe, would work well with our talent.

Advertisement
Miami was so enthralled with having a Cuban coach that they didn’t think this was through smh but it’s early let’s see what happens year 3
Cubans run Miami and like hiring their own.. I actually respect and love that about them.. but they need to leave our Canes outta that.

Last edited:
The problem is, there's no quick fix when you've sucked for 18 years, and you've got a culture of mediocrity. No one was going to come in and turn this around in one year. Even Lane went 5-5 in his first year at Ole Miss, after inheriting a team that had gone 4-8 the previous year.

"The problem is, there's no quick fix when you've sucked for 18 years"

This is 100% true also this board would turn on any coach named in this thread after the first bit off adversity...that is a fact.

Having said that there is NO EXCUSE for how we played today against that caliber of opponent.

Giving this guy $80 million over 10 years? A huge colossal mistake.
This is the state of coaching in college football right now, similar to CEO pay. Programs are desperate for reliable, winning coaches - and the coaches know it. So they're getting locked into 8-year or 10-year contracts.

Look at Brian Kelly, Mel Tucker, Kirby Smart and Dabo's recent contracts. Time will tell if Mario was the right hire but he basically got market value for being a PAC-12 and Rose Bowl-winning coach. LSU might be in similar trouble, and maybe Clemson. The only coach who has shown time and time again he can win with any coordinator is Saban.

Advertisement
I was a Freeze or Lane guy. IMO it had to be an offensive guy. But when the money came with Mario I was fine with it. I thought maybe he learned his lesson about hiring coordinators. That and basically having blank checks to offer. He’s just one of those guys who’s career depends on who he hires as his assistants. Early returns say he’s 0-2.

Advertisement
This is the state of coaching in college football right now, similar to CEO pay. Programs are desperate for reliable, winning coaches - and the coaches know it. So they're getting locked into 8-year or 10-year contracts.

Look at Brian Kelly, Mel Tucker, Kirby Smart and Dabo's recent contracts. Time will tell if Mario was the right hire but he basically got market value for being a PAC-12 and Rose Bowl-winning coach. LSU might be in similar trouble, and maybe Clemson. The only coach who has shown time and time again he can win with any coordinator is Saban.
Kirby and dabo deserve it. BK at least took ND to two playoffs and Cincy to a BCS Bowl. Mario did win a rose bowl so ill give him that

Advertisement
I wanted Lane, but it's irrelevant now. Im 100% behind Mario, yesterday's loss notwithstanding. If the great Saban lost to ULM in his first season at Alabama, i can still have faith after today

Advertisement
I wanted Lane, but it's irrelevant now. Im 100% behind Mario, yesterday's loss notwithstanding. If the great Saban lost to ULM in his first season at Alabama, i can still have faith after today
LOL I knew that was coming. thats like coaching version of the 2017 ND game for attendance

This. More than half of this roster shouldn’t have a scholarship to play here.
I'm calling bull**** on that statement. It's a cop out and doesn't address the real problems (coaching and lack of development). Majority of the kids on the roster had offers from multiple p5 programs/football powerhouses. I remember seeing a stat during the summer about Miami having a surprisingly high number/ratio of blue chip type players. Now all of a sudden these kids "aren't Miami material" (as if the school has been competing at Bama level for years). This is just a way to deflect blame from the coaches and onto the players. Folks do this with EVERY Miami coach until they realize the coaches are trash. I was realistic in not expecting MC to come in year 1 and win 10-11 games, but the team should not be getting their teeth kicked in by MTSU at home.

Kirby and dabo deserve it. BK at least took ND to two playoffs and Cincy to a BCS Bowl. Mario did win a rose bowl so ill give him that
Yeah I'm just saying there's been a string of guys getting 8-10 year contracts - Jimbo Fisher as well for $75mil+

Yeah I'm just saying there's been a string of guys getting 8-10 year contracts - Jimbo Fisher as well for $75mil+
fisher had a title under his belt. the lone outlier was tucker who swindled that **** haha before even finishing the season. we could've done the 8 for 5 Years not 10

Advertisement
Back