The OC Candidates Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
If we are offering 2 million for our OC, and the candidate pool is withered down to Candle and few others we have a serious problem.

We have a recruiter CEO type that needs to knock both coordinators out of the park and no one wants to work for him to be paid top notch?

Might as well stick a fork in Mario and move on if that’s the case.

Yeah, I agree, stick a fork in Mario. He’s done. If he hires Candle let’s just go ahead and fire him now, and make Candle the head coach/OC or Charlie Strong the HC/DC. or better yet, maybe we can lure Saban. Get to work Ruiz.

Michael Richards Eating GIF

Yeah it was down on Ponce de Leon kinda near the campus. There was a Toys R Us near there too

Advertisement
Yeeeeeeeea you’re definitely one of dem ones….don’t worry big fella, you got it!
I refuse to knowingly bash the challenged, good day sir 👍
you are a ******* moron, Godspeed. Let me know when you learn how to even upload a profile pic genius

Advertisement
I’m higher on him, but I understand your point.

For TVD, he wouldn’t be the best option. I’d go with Littrell. For Jacurri, he’d unequivocally be the #1 choice imo. Ludwig a close second.

But I think Trask disproved this theory to an extent, although he certainly prefers the dual threats. Alex Smith, Dak, Fitzgerald, and so on. His attention to detail is borderline pristine, and he adapts very well. That Bama game in 2021 where UF almost came back with Emory really opened my eyes regarding the ability to identify a hole in the armor (apparently ch ink gets bleeped out lol) at halftime and repeatedly attack it.
I like the Kevin Wilson tree guys—Littrell and Johns. That’s the offense I’d personally like to see at UM. I’m tepid on Candle. There are some legit questions being raised about him here. Also think OC should be QB coach. Doubt there’s any way it’s Frost or Mullen. I’m hoping nobody knows what’s going on and that seems plausible.

Yeah, I agree, stick a fork in Mario. He’s done. If he hires Candle let’s just go ahead and fire him now, and make Candle the head coach/OC or Charlie Strong the HC/DC. or better yet, maybe we can lure Saban. Get to work Ruiz.

You’re insinuating few want to coach here and that our pool of coordinators is so small that we should be happy with Candle. Thats pretty damning if true.

I think we can do better, and will.

Advertisement
These are the 2022 F+ Defensive rankings for their opponents:

Ohio: 100
Kent St: 113
Ball State: 89
Bowling Green: 117
Buffalo: 81
Central Michigan: 98
E. Michigan: 110
N. Ill.: 127
W. M.: 73

Their OOC:

Something called Long Island University (there aren’t even analytic rankings for them)
Umass: 120
Ohio State: 15
San Diego State: 37

Against Ohio State’s Top 15 defense they scored 14 points in non-garbage time. I’m not going to hate on that too much.

Against San Diego State’s 37th ranked defense they scored 14 points. That’s not good for what is suppose to be our offensive savior.

Then they only played what is basically the worst defenses in all of college football, the rest of the year.

And still somehow barely averaged over 30 points a game.

This is even worse when you look at the offensive rankings of the teams they played.

Toledo finished 58th in F+ defense. The offenses they played:

Ohio: 54
Kent St: 66
Ball State: 119
Bowling Green: 97
Buffalo: 98
Central Michigan: 105
E. Michigan: 70
N. Ill.: 86
W. M.: 128

Long Island University: N/A
Umass: 130
Ohio State: 3
San Diego State: 126

The offenses were almost as horrible as the defenses.

Meaning it’s not like the teams on their schedule were just death marching Toledo. And constantly flipping the field.
These were opposing offenses that struggled to even get first downs.

So Toledo’s offense was constantly getting the ball back. And presumably getting it back in good field position due to the lack of yards gained by the opposing offense.
And then getting it back frequently in good field position, against the worst defenses of college football.

31 points…

So if im following these threads correctly, here are my major takeaways of the past week:

1. Mario is an awful project manager who doesn't know how to hire/fire anyone and will be on chopping block in the next 12-24 months

2. Candle, a sitting HC, would be an awful OC hire

3. Rees would have been a disastrous hire last season, even though he was good enough for Saban to hire him

4. Steele is a horrific DC but again, apparently good enough for Saban

5. We shouldn't promote Strong to DC but he's too old and hasn't coordinated a D in 'years', even though he was essentially the DC at USF and Louisville

I missing anything?

Advertisement
I don't care to wade into a Metallica debate, but I'll just say Lars is ******* horrible lol - possibly (probably) the worst drummer ever in a high profile band.
Not exactly. He’s not the best, nor the worst, IMHO. He ***** on the AC/DC drummer for example.

That's the hope. I know Ashland and Hiram were options too, but Mount Union is the one he wants the most.
Ashland is really nice for DII. One of their boosters recently donated to them to build new athletic facility. Mt Union has facilities like DII or even small DI. Was very impressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back