The OC Candidates Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Screenshot_20230204_213632_Instagram.jpg

Anyways yall wish my Oregon shawty a very happy birthday, I have a gift waiting for her when she comes home

Advertisement
Be honest tho. Are our receivers as good as those Toledo teams?
Those WR’s from back then were Diontae Johnson & Cody Thompson, both of whom are in the NFL now, so no.

But since then, Toledo hasn’t had any “good” WR’s except for Jerjuan Newton who was a mid tier 3-star coming out of HS.

Our WR currently on the roster don’t fit the bill, but if you put them in the right system you can manufacture productivity out of’em.

The top 5 WR’s in the Nation last year in yards/catches were at Purdue, Houston, Iowa ST, Western Kentucky & SMU.

None of them were 4-stars or higher coming out High School.

These freaking nerds are only concerned with the attention people give them. They have little to no solid info. Any of them.

Zero. The actual journalists who could use their real life followings to create leverage one way or another have zero sauces, but a guy named Monsta or Doll hair Steve know what Mario is doing lmaoooooooooo.

They all just talk to each other and tweet dumbass ****.

Advertisement
One thing to keep in mind, with all this time Mario and co. are taking for this hire, is the less amount of time for TVD to get ahead of the game for a playbook or simple understanding prior to spring ball. In most cases, spring ball is just the basics and meant for pure development, mainly of young talent. However, most of us would agree that we don’t have that luxury. This spring is vital to the success long-term, therefore we have to make a milestone jump and it starts now.

With winter workouts going on, I believe coaches are allowed to watch, then maybe the last week they’re allowed to coach the drills as well. Without a coach for both QB and WR, these guys aren’t getting the extra tips from their position coaches to gain familiarity early. Seems little but it matters in football. Keep in mind practice begins March 3rd. Less than a month away, and our staff doesn’t even know who they’ll be working with and rushing to get the first week install for spring practices, granted it should be simple, but it’s besides the point if someone on staff maybe wanted to make tweaks or suggestions to adjustments.

My other point for long-term success, Mario has given the young guys he’s brought in the pitch that “hey we’re working hard and we’ll be back on top with you guys!” Which sounds great to an 18 year old to feel they’re needed. However, with the transfer portal, another bad season like last year and it’s easy for a young guy to say “***k this I’m out” we’re doing all this hard work and getting all these promises, yet the guy you bring in to call plays is a dud. Hence another reason why skill WRs aren’t attracted to Miami. They only have a limited time left, yet they don’t even know who’ll be designing plays for them. Older guys aren’t as tempted to fall for that as much as high schoolers and we clearly seen the result of it.

I’m only bringing this up to point out the importance, which I’m fully confident that Mario is aware of, but I wonder if those around him will stand up to him and say, “hey man, you might be getting in your own way with this one.”

One thing to keep in mind, with all this time Mario and co. are taking for this hire, is the less amount of time for TVD to get ahead of the game for a playbook or simple understanding prior to spring ball. In most cases, spring ball is just the basics and meant for pure development, mainly of young talent. However, most of us would agree that we don’t have that luxury. This spring is vital to the success long-term, therefore we have to make a milestone jump and it starts now.

With winter workouts going on, I believe coaches are allowed to watch, then maybe the last week they’re allowed to coach the drills as well. Without a coach for both QB and WR, these guys aren’t getting the extra tips from their position coaches to gain familiarity early. Seems little but it matters in football. Keep in mind practice begins March 3rd. Less than a month away, and our staff doesn’t even know who they’ll be working with and rushing to get the first week install for spring practices, granted it should be simple, but it’s besides the point if someone on staff maybe wanted to make tweaks or suggestions to adjustments.

My other point for long-term success, Mario has given the young guys he’s brought in the pitch that “hey we’re working hard and we’ll be back on top with you guys!” Which sounds great to an 18 year old to feel they’re needed. However, with the transfer portal, another bad season like last year and it’s easy for a young guy to say “***k this I’m out” we’re doing all this hard work and getting all these promises, yet the guy you bring in to call plays is a dud. Hence another reason why skill WRs aren’t attracted to Miami. They only have a limited time left, yet they don’t even know who’ll be designing plays for them. Older guys aren’t as tempted to fall for that as much as high schoolers and we clearly seen the result of it.

I’m only bringing this up to point out the importance, which I’m fully confident that Mario is aware of, but I wonder if those around him will stand up to him and say, “hey man, you might be getting in your own way with this one.”

Looking Curb Your Enthusiasm GIF

Advertisement
Advertisement
Those WR’s from back then were Diontae Johnson & Cody Thompson, both of whom are in the NFL now, so no.

But since then, Toledo hasn’t had any “good” WR’s except for Jerjuan Newton who was a mid tier 3-star coming out of HS.

Our WR currently on the roster don’t fit the bill, but if you put them in the right system you can manufacture productivity out of’em.

The top 5 WR’s in the Nation last year in yards/catches were at Purdue, Houston, Iowa ST, Western Kentucky & SMU.

None of them were 4-stars or higher coming out High School.
I remember those dudes that's why I asked tbh. I was just curious your opinion.

I'm high on Joseph and think between brashard and Washington we can have some tavon austin esque manufactured yards.

Mostly I just saw everyone saying the Woodside years, which no slight to him he's a former Raven so I'll always be high on him. I just think it was more the Thompson and Johnson years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back