The OC Candidates Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
C3B60581-DE79-463A-B739-2180B13B4867.png

I remember the days when Miami was all about innovation, bringing in new ideas and approaches. When did we become the old guy in the club ?

I think the biggest dropoff was when Chud left and Coker started hiring lesser OC types like Werner.

Did Shannon have ANY good coordinators? I guess Whipple the Elder.

Golden had Fisch for 2 years.

Richt was largely responsible for his own O.

Lashlee was above-average for Manny.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I think the biggest dropoff was when Chud left and Coker started hiring lesser OC types like Werner.

Did Shannon have ANY good coordinators? I guess Walton for a year. And Whipple the Elder.

Walton was toilet water

Another way to put it is Mario is a serious and dedicated workaholic that expects his staff to put everything they have into the program and Mullen is a clown who doesn't like to work hard.

I think Mullen and Mario would be a disastrous fit. Yes, Mullen is a bright offensive coach. But at what cost? I can't even picture Mario and Mullen sitting at a conference table together for more than 30 seconds before it goes wrong.

Culture matters. Personality matters. How do you expect your kids and staff to work like Alabama when the circus shows up to work each day and "doesn't feel like recruiting" while everyone else is grinding? Talk about a recipe for staff problems. Mario cares. Mario is dedicated. Mullen is a goofball. He ****ed away one of the best gigs in sports because he was lazy. Personally, I think it's the worst idea possible. This isn't EA Sports, this is a real life pressure-cooker.

dan mullen dancing GIF by Florida Gators
View attachment 228092

View attachment 228094 View attachment 228095 View attachment 228097

View attachment 228098

Are you telling me that Mario is more of a workaholic than heart attack Urban Myer?

Advertisement
I asked because there was somebody playing me on twitter that @IndayArtHauz and others called out. So I went and grabbed the name just in case I ever need a twitter handle.

Man negotiating right here live…

Up his bonus before he leaves for OnlyFans or wherever the others ended up…

Did Shannon have ANY good coordinators? I guess Walton for a year. And Whipple the Elder.

I wouldn’t consider Chud innovative or some schematic mastermind. He was a solid play caller but had great talent and a coach at qb. Erickson drunk was more creative than most of our Oc’s.

@Cribby A large part of the problem was the idea that Miami connections were needed to coach here. If you repeatedly hire coaches with the same or similar experience innovation becomes stagnant. Kehoe Erickson was the last of the outsider coaches. New minds bring new ideas. This is the trap for Mario. He is a Miami guy but has experience coaching outside of the program. We will see how it manifests itself

Advertisement
So a middling hire and well, relieved isn't exactly the most inspiring adjective to describe a new hire. I'd characterize it as uninspired. No big time recruit is going to be excited or wowed with the hire. We've waited how long, one would think it would be a big name. Nah, we got the HC from Toledo, who consequently very few would know anything about.
The way you feel is exactly how I would feel if Arroyo was the choice so I get it. I just think there is enough about Candle’s style of offense and track record to at least give him the benefit of the doubt.

I wouldn’t consider Chud innovative or some schematic mastermind. He was a solid play caller but had great talent and a coach at qb. Erickson drunk was more creative than most of our Oc’s.
Ericsson’s one-back offense was revolutionary. I vaguely remember the opening game of Year 1… we played Wisky on the road and absolutely trashed them. Steve Walsh and Wesley Carroll were unstoppable.

Advertisement
I like Candle because he can meld his scheme to fit the qb. Regardless if it’s TVD or JB. It’s a very flexible offense. Not all OC’s can do that. Hopefully we seal the deal this time.
Would it be safe to assume we are very close since you are posting about it with a small possibility of it falling through ?

The way you feel is exactly how I would feel if Arroyo was the choice so I get it. I just think there is enough about Candle’s style of offense and track record to at least give him the benefit of the doubt.

I don't have a problem with that.

I just expect more. I expect more after we've been told for a couple of months, that change is on the way.

I also don't want a benefit of the doubt type of hire. We want a guy who is going to come in, with a lot of hype, and you just know he's going to deliver.

We'll see if this is the choice. It isn't anywhere close to a slam dunk or knock it out if the park on paper. That doesn't mean he can't do well, it's what I'd call a risky hire. Hope it goes well if this is the move that's made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back