The OC Candidates Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Screenshot_20230204_132508_Twitter.jpg

Would be the smart move if at all possible, imo. Let Frost be the WRC and you get to work w/ him for 1-3 years, hopefully. If Candle does the job expected, you then have firsthand knowledge of your next OC if things go as planned.

Advertisement
I heard similar. I think he and Mario are prefect fit. Mario struggles with x's and 0's and Mullen struggles with recruiting.
Another way to put it is Mario is a serious and dedicated workaholic that expects his staff to put everything they have into the program and Mullen is a clown who doesn't like to work hard.

I think Mullen and Mario would be a disastrous fit. Yes, Mullen is a bright offensive coach. But at what cost? I can't even picture Mario and Mullen sitting at a conference table together for more than 30 seconds before it goes wrong.

Culture matters. Personality matters. How do you expect your kids and staff to work like Alabama when the circus shows up to work each day and "doesn't feel like recruiting" while everyone else is grinding? Talk about a recipe for staff problems. Mario cares. Mario is dedicated. Mullen is a goofball. He ****ed away one of the best gigs in sports because he was lazy. Personally, I think it's the worst idea possible. This isn't EA Sports, this is a real life pressure-cooker.

dan mullen dancing GIF by Florida Gators
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Advertisement
Bahhh!! Promised dollars and success can make those feelings evaporate pretty **** quickly. He's not a child. If this came together for Candle and he had an opportunity to go to the U, he'd be foolish not to do so.

I'm not saying Weiner couldn't disguise his hatred for UM for a few bucks.

I'm saying that I don't want or need or ask him to do that. He's not the only QB Coach in the world.

You know it all depends on how much introspection that man is capable of and how accountable he is willing to make himself to the other smart guys in the room. He wants to be the Cuban Saban...? Then, make the tough decisions that Nick has made in the last few years.

Nothing would bring a smile to Nick's face more than pounding the rock from an under-center I-formation, but he likes winning more than he's married to this traditional system. What we just don't know yet is whether or not Mario has the ability to hold himself that accountable. Is he so certain that his way is the only way he can succeed, or is he willing to die to some things so he can have Saban-esque success?

I guess we'll see in both this hire and how much he allows the next hire to run their own system.
He said he wants to be the Cuban Saban???

Advertisement
I’ve heard Candle for a few days, he’s been the clear cut guy. I was referring to him Thursday when I posted about “ negotiations started “. There’s a reason I’ve been laughing at the names being thrown out and calling them” BS“. There’s only a few guys I know have been reached out to and I’ve mentioned or Insinuated two of them in this thread. Imo if it drags out much longer it’ll likely be a repeat of last year. Moving on to the next guy. One thing I‘ve been told is Mario isn’t set on a particular offense, even though most of us don’t buy that.
What are the odds that we hire Candle and his named Asst HC and OC?

Advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back