The OC Candidates Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those were his F+ rankings.

I don’t like total offense. Anything that doesn’t adjust for quality of defense, field position, garbage time, pace of play, etc. is worthless to me.
One thing to point out with metrics like F+, SOS is going to significantly impact teams like Toledo. If you look at their raw metrics (not opponent adjusted), they’ve had some very good offenses with Candle. 2013-18 they finished top 27 in points/drive every year. They’re being penalized for playing lower level competition, but their own talent level is also on par with those same teams. So I would say it’s really just an even playing field.

Attachments

• C116551B-827B-4DE5-BA89-FF75E88022FE.jpeg
    C116551B-827B-4DE5-BA89-FF75E88022FE.jpeg
    332.1 KB · Views: 31
Advertisement
The best one is where they make fun of Scientology without making fun of them for me.

Imagine being so ridiculous that the producers just put in subtitles "This isn't made up. This is actually true."
IIRC, that was the one where all the names in the credits were changed to John Smith (or Jane) in order to avoid lawsuits

Advertisement
Not to me. When I was in the Marine Corps (92-96) the Hispanic and Latino’s used to tell us white folk we smelled like bologna. We had words for them also, but it was all in fun. Was a different world back then. People need thicker skin nowadays.

Julio and Oye’ if I recall correctly.

Great time to grow up.

Everyone knew each others faults and discussed them openly. Now everyone gets hurt by everything.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Take Candle in a heartbeat *with whoever he wants* as Co-OC/WR Coach.

Just my pennies though.

Everyone who assumes Candle would hire someone on his current staff should keep in mind he can likely hire anyone he wants, and would have the funds to pay an assistant coach more than he could at Toledo. So, IF he's the guy at OC, I wouldn't bet the farm he's bringing his WR or QB coach from Toledo with him b/c there will be better options.

Last edited:
Miami sucks.

Mario sucks.

CIS sucks.

NCAA sucks.

Butch DAW GAWD though.

I'm gonna "guess" that Ruiz was aware a while back (like @Cribby and a few others) that Gattis was officially gone and a certain process just had to play out. I'm also "guessing" that Ruiz probably knows of a soft list of targets for the opening and is just hyping whatever the result will eventually be in advance.

He's not involved in the actual decision making and just tries to run incessant good p/r for the program (aside from his occasIonal derision of Hard Kock) so that's not really a bad thing.

Truth be told in the booster world, giving these guys a certain level of access and info is pretty much the norm and has been forever. At least on the surface, Ruiz seems very publicly cognizant to not overstep any borders (and to not want to) which is a really good thing if that dynamic can be maintained. I think in this instance that all these guys know/knew Mario that it actually works more in our favor to maintain those boundaries than if we hired someone else and they still wanted to throw money around. This is from 5000 feet but if anything I see Ruiz, Mas Bros, etc acting as apologists for Mario before they ever step on his toes.
I don't think people realize how Powerful the Stoffer family is in regards to UM. And have been for a while.

Advertisement
That is an accurate summary.

However, what nobody is mentioning, is that Candle is a WR coach by trade. If he were to come, he is most likely OC/WR. Candle has never been QB coach. So Beard is unlikely.

The coach to follow would most likely be Weiner. The Co-OC/QB coach. Was the HC at Plant HS (Tampa) for over a decade. Developed Robert Marve and Aaron Murray along with some others. So coaches QB, knows Candles system, was the #4 recruiter in the MAC, and has ties to Tampa.

He would be much more logical than Beard.
Might've already been discussed since I'm a few pages behind, but wasn't Weiner caught up in the Nevin Shapiro drama?

And I'd swear he was the HC who said something along the lines of he'd never send another player to Miami over the **** with Marve and his transfer restrictions. But its been so long I can't remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back