The OC Candidates Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bama wasn’t gonna pay an OC $3mm

So the pitch from Bama and Saban wasn’t nearly as strong to a guy already making $2mm with modest expectations and a good relationship with his HC
Forgive my ignorance, I don’t understand what you’re saying. Honestly confused, not coming at you I’m just a dense knuckle dragging Neanderthal. **** you may be agreeing with me for all I know.

All I was trying to say is that IF Mario offered those guys and IF they turned him down regardless of why it wouldn’t indicate that the Miami job or working for Mario was “unattractive”. I don’t know details or what if anything was offered just saying that correlation is a stretch.

Advertisement
This is the take away. IF it's true Cristobal spoke with Candle and Hartline, shouldn't that kill some of the "Mario only likes bro-ffense, bro" talk ?

Dude, people with agendas and narratives are still gonna be pushing their agendas and narratives...

:ROFLMAO:

I told people that Mario wasn't fixated on one style, and that people might be surprised by the candidates. I'm also not guaranteeing we will land one particular guy, jobs are two-way streets and maybe a guy likes another place better (cough, cough, Garrett Riley).

But the mopers are just wrong. And they are operating off of "but it's been this way for 15 years", instead of evaluating what is happening currently.

It's interesting to look at the overall fan sentiment regarding Mario over the last 12 months.

Coming out of spring I think Mario's stock was sky high. He was able to salvage the 2022 class with some late high-end talent additions + hired what was considered to be one of the strongest coaching staffs (on paper).

You look now and I think stock is still generally high but man there are some legitimate question marks surrounding Mario. He's obviously nowhere near being on the hot seat but holy sh*t is this season important for him.

Looking at our schedule....I see:
- 5 wins (Miami of OH, Bethune, Temple, GT, Virginia....honestly you could convince me GT and Virginia are toss ups as well)
- 4 toss ups (Aggies, NC State, Louisville, and BC)
- 3 probably losses (Clemson, UNC, and FSU)

Let's assume we take 2 of the 4 toss ups and you're looking at a 7-5 season. That may be best case scenario. But another bad hire here and Mario will start to see the wrath of Miami fans a lot earlier than expected.

I'm fine if he takes his time but I can't stress enough how important this hire is. He needs to get it right this time because it's unlikely he fires 2 straight OC's after giving each only 1 season. Whoever comes on board next is going to be here 2-3 years minimum. No pressure Mario!

Ferman is posting some ground breaking comments today "Mario would be smart to monitor Saban, see who he is talking to and get a feel for the market". **** ... Mario has known for 2 months they would be making a new hire ... and NOW he should start looking at Saban and get a feel for the market?. Some of his comments are senseless.
A lot of folks dump on Ferman and rightly so. I don't bother, because I don't care enough to point out the obvious, however, I will say that I stopped having his Caneinsight play in the background while I got ready for the day, and I basically have stopped watching him and most other youtube "informative Cane talk" because he, like many others, literally has no relevant and accurate info.

As a networker myself, it's amazing to me how this is his job and he's known Mario and many others for decades and yet he STILL manages to not have anything substantive to say. I think Flo brings nuggets and a few on this board, but most of the Youtube shows are literally a waste of time at best.

I mean I know - we don’t even have an opening. Just purely throwing a thought out for discussion. But disagree with it being a step backward because all he’s been is a DC and interim HC and he is currently unemployed. I could see him waiting it out for a HC gig or DB coach position in NFL though.
Going from being the DC at Wisconsin to being the DC at Miami is a step backwards.

Advertisement
Ferman is posting some ground breaking comments today "Mario would be smart to monitor Saban, see who he is talking to and get a feel for the market". **** ... Mario has known for 2 months they would be making a new hire ... and NOW he should start looking at Saban and get a feel for the market?. Some of his comments are senseless.
Yeah, Mario needs to circle back on the Washington OC. Maybe he & wife prefer sunshine over steady drizzle.

I tried to tell you guys for months Gattis wasn’t one of Mario’s top 5 options

I think that’s both encouraging and discouraging. With the money that we’re spending how do we make it to the sixth or below option?

What about his career at FIU?

His OC's at FIU were James Colely, Bill Legg, and Scott Satterfield. From 2007-2012 Mario was a proponent of the spread offense at least his pick for OCs support that.
Ok so why did he go away from that after he went to Alabama?

I hope he changes!

No it isnt. Look at marios career at oregon and now miami.

We gotta be tuff and fiscal!

Shuuuuuut the **** up already.

He was HC at Oregon for 4 years. The first two years were largely with a staff assembled by Taggart (except for the Leavitt firing between Oregon Y1 and Y2). He's been at Miami for one year. He literally spent more time as a HC at FIU than Oregon and Miami combined, but you have determined everything about his "career" from the last 5 years.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Forgive my ignorance, I don’t understand what you’re saying. Honestly confused, not coming at you I’m just a dense knuckle dragging Neanderthal. **** you may be agreeing with me for all I know.

All I was trying to say is that IF Mario offered those guys and IF they turned him down regardless of why it wouldn’t indicate that the Miami job or working for Mario was “unattractive”. I don’t know details or what if anything was offered just saying that correlation is a stretch.

That’s my mistake, I was commingling topics

I was focusing on Bama missing out on the UWash OC

It's interesting to look at the overall fan sentiment regarding Mario over the last 12 months.

Coming out of spring I think Mario's stock was sky high. He was able to salvage the 2022 class with some late high-end talent additions + hired what was considered to be one of the strongest coaching staffs (on paper).

You look now and I think stock is still generally high but man there are some legitimate question marks surrounding Mario. He's obviously nowhere near being on the hot seat but holy sh*t is this season important for him.

- 5 wins (Miami of OH, Bethune, Temple, GT, Virginia....honestly you could convince me GT and Virginia are toss ups as well)

Let's assume we take 2 of the 4 toss ups and you're looking at a 7-5 season. That may be best case scenario. But another bad hire here and Mario will start to see the wrath of Miami fans a lot earlier than expected.

I'm fine if he takes his time but I can't stress enough how important this hire is. He needs to get it right this time because it's unlikely he fires 2 straight OC's after giving each only 1 season. Whoever comes on board next is going to be here 2-3 years minimum. No pressure Mario!
I guess I'm more optimistic than others but the right OC and GT/UVA should be wins. Split the toss-ups and you're looking at 7-5. I also don't think UNC is anything special to generate a probable loss considering they lost Longo, Downs and Green. Maye is good but I think people are crowning him too early; Steele (for as much **** as he gets) did force the kid into 2 INT's.

It's too early for actual predictions and wayyyy too many question marks surrounding the roster, depth at key positions, and coaching changes...but I'd cautiously say anywhere between 6-8 wins.

It's amazing how fast we went from beating the dog**** out of FSU to them being a probably loss.

Advertisement

Ferman is the worst

How he has made a living producing the content and making those types of statements blows my mind

But, there are porsters on this board saying dumber stuff… so I know who pays Ferman

Last edited:
Shuuuuuut the **** up already.

He was HC at Oregon for 4 years. The first two years were largely with a staff assembled by Taggart (except for the Leavitt firing). He's been at Miam for one year. He literally spent more time as a HC at FIU than Oregon and Miami combined, but you have determined everything about his "career" from the last 5 years.
Lmao telling me to shut the **** up only makes me do more.

Yea its crazy to look at tendencies coaches have.

Well he was fired from fiu and chose to keep taggerts ****** leftovers. Also hired steele a gattis.

Do the math and mario is a sub-par coach getting paid saban money.

This process is going to be another painful one isn’t it? When is it our turn for things to go nice and smooth?

Advertisement
Lmao telling me to shut the **** up only makes me do more.

Yea its crazy to look at tendencies coaches have.

Well he was fired from fiu and chose to keep taggerts ****** leftovers. Also hired steele a gattis.

Do the math and mario is a sub-par coach getting paid saban money.
I'd love to know who you wanted to take the job a year ago

Going from being the DC at Wisconsin to being the DC at Miami is a step backwards.

You are right, Wisconsin does have an extremely decorated history of winning 59% of their games over their 133 year history, 55% of their all time bowl games, no conference titles since 2012, and no national titles, ever. Forgive my questioning, but why the Wisconsin slurping?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back