The OC Candidates Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw that Brewster video at Colorado.

Wonder if Sean Lewis is ready to gtfo. He doesn’t seem like that type of coach.

Advertisement
download.jpeg-1.jpg

Advertisement
I'm too lazy to look back through 50+ pages, so please give me the consensus about Aroyo. Would we win with him, or would it be another mistake?

****.. I'm sure its been discussed elsewhere on here, but Blustein was on Donno's show and he said he doesn't expect Mario's system to change. He said no matter who the OC is they're going to run a version of this offense. He said Mario will bring in someone that will add to Mario's scheme, but basically this is it.

Sure hope he's wrong. Otherwise this thread is pointless. Won't matter who he interviews or hires. What we've already got is what we'll get.

Advertisement
****.. I'm sure its been discussed elsewhere on here, but Blustein was on Donno's show and he said he doesn't expect Mario's system to change. He said no matter who the OC is they're going to run a version of this offense. He said Mario will bring in someone that will add to Mario's scheme, but basically this is it.

Sure hope he's wrong. Otherwise this thread is pointless. Won't matter who he interviews or hires. What we've already got is what we'll get.
I feel like we all kinda knew this but didn't want to admit it. So, we have a guy who wants to build an O-line designed to hold up for longer developing pass plays and knock guys off the ball in the run game, versus an air raid that gets rid of the ball in 2-seconds. His offensive strategy takes longer to build IMO, but in theory should look better against top competition e.g. TCU vs Georgia.

I feel like we all kinda knew this but didn't want to admit it. So, we have a guy who wants to build an O-line designed to hold up for longer developing pass plays and knock guys off the ball in the run game, versus an air raid that gets rid of the ball in 2-seconds. His offensive strategy takes longer to build IMO, but in theory should look better against top competition e.g. TCU vs Georgia.

Can someone explain to me why we can't have an OL that beats the **** out of people, can grind down opponents in the run game - has "toughness" - and run a more "modern" passing offense that most people want to see at Miami?

Doesn't seem to me to be mutually exclusive.

Can someone explain to me why we can't have an OL that beats the **** out of people, can grind down opponents in the run game - has "toughness" - and run a more "modern" passing offense that most people want to see at Miami?

Doesn't seem to me to be mutually exclusive.
When you say "modern passing offense" are you talking about spreading out more and getting rid of the ball quickly or moreso on the complexity of routes ran? How thick do you want your playbook to be? Our best WR's are 18 year-olds, fresh out of high school, how many concepts can you expect them to play at full speed due to familiarity?

what about Darrel Bevell? He is already down in Miami with the dolphins wouldn’t even really need to move
hes staying w the fins for another season. **** end up hand picking his NFL job as he turned down interviews this year next year so why go down a level when oyu dont need to. we arent alabama where were basically a pro team. were a ****** run of the mill college program w no relevant success in 20 years.

Advertisement

I was listening to this and had to turn it off. Larry is way past his depths on this one...

Mario’s never had a scheme. He’s never called plays or been an OC. There are versions of the spread that are run heavy, **** look at Tennessee and tcu, they run spread offenses that ran more than they threw.

Here's how I'm thinking about Mario and his system - I think it can be effective depending on who's running it. I mean the man has won his conference, won the Rose Bowl, finished in the top 6 and beat OSU at the horse shoe with that system.

If you get someone who can maximize that system and augment it, then I think paired with the talent he will stack, the system can be effective. But, you need a healthy star QB and talent stacked everywhere. It certainly isn't a system that can maximize and utilize the talent you have on the team - fortunately, we have a recruiting assassin, so there will be massive talent.

Bottomline - it's not a great system, but under Mario, if he gets someone who is good at game day playcalling and making adjustments during a game, the system can win a natty. Will it even win the ACC? At this point, I'm a little optimistic that we will eventually win the ACC, but MC has really taken the wind out of our sails with this last year's debacle of a season.

Advertisement
When you say "modern passing offense" are you talking about spreading out more and getting rid of the ball quickly or moreso on the complexity of routes ran? How thick do you want your playbook to be? Our best WR's are 18 year-olds, fresh out of high school, how many concepts can you expect them to play at full speed due to familiarity?
I'm not saying have an offense that does everything under the sun.

It's been said Mario wants an "identity" of a tough OL that can run block and people seem to think that's one of the reasons he wants a run heavy offense.

Can't Miami have a tough OL that excels with run blocking but run an offense that is uptempo spread or whatever you'd like to call it?

Why are these two ideas so antithetical?

Carol City is the closest high school to the stadium. Give that guy a call and let him gameplan on the team bus.

And tell him to bring a WR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back