The OC Candidates Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beats me. The last few pages are all acting like it's a done deal. It's possible, but history tells us it will be someone completely different.
Probably.

licensed-image

Advertisement

Not sure if you saw this when I posted it (and I'm SURE you know about it), but there's also the possibility that Candle might not have been happy with the rapid sacking of Kool. A lot of people (including myself) have talked about Candle's strong connection to Ohio, but Kool was in the **** TOLEDO SPORTS HALL OF FAME, and that guy's existence was erased in one day.

Advertisement
Advertisement
With all due respect, he spouted a ton of everyone will be happy about **** that never ended up materializing the last few months. Dude needs to just shut up at this point.

Advertisement
That is an accurate summary.

However, what nobody is mentioning, is that Candle is a WR coach by trade. If he were to come, he is most likely OC/WR. Candle has never been QB coach. So Beard is unlikely.

The coach to follow would most likely be Weiner. The Co-OC/QB coach. Was the HC at Plant HS (Tampa) for over a decade. Developed Robert Marve and Aaron Murray along with some others. So coaches QB, knows Candles system, was the #4 recruiter in the MAC, and has ties to Tampa.

He would be much more logical than Beard.
Actually was just going this route…. Except the name Im monitoring is not Weiner. It’s Brian Wright.

-Toledo OC/QB coach from 2016-2019 under Candle (developed Woodside, Kareem Hunt & Deionte Johnson)

- Current FCS HC at Pittsburg State (went 12-1 this past season)

- Former FAU AHC/OC/QB so he knows the area (also went 4-0 as an interim HC after FAU parted with Pelini for starting 2-6)

Advertisement
I appreciate what Ruiz does for the program, but he likes to brag and boast and attract attention. He made similar comments weeks ago. There's oftentimes a lack of substance to him so take what he says appropriately.
Am I the only one who sees the potential negatives of Ruiz, a super fan with no actual football knowledge, potentially being involved in the hiring of coaches too?

I'm gonna "guess" that Ruiz was aware a while back (like @Cribby and a few others) that Gattis was officially gone and a certain process just had to play out. I'm also "guessing" that Ruiz probably knows of a soft list of targets for the opening and is just hyping whatever the result will eventually be in advance.

He's not involved in the actual decision making and just tries to run incessant good p/r for the program (aside from his occasIonal derision of Hard Kock) so that's not really a bad thing.

Truth be told in the booster world, giving these guys a certain level of access and info is pretty much the norm and has been forever. At least on the surface, Ruiz seems very publicly cognizant to not overstep any borders (and to not want to) which is a really good thing if that dynamic can be maintained. I think in this instance that all these guys know/knew Mario that it actually works more in our favor to maintain those boundaries than if we hired someone else and they still wanted to throw money around. This is from 5000 feet but if anything I see Ruiz, Mas Bros, etc acting as apologists for Mario before they ever step on his toes.

Wow.. this turned into an old fashioned self-deprication pile-on. Are you all enjoying the circle jerk? Since we're such petulant immature fans, which illustrious coach should we have had more gratitude? Richt, Golden Doodle, D'No, Gattis, DeeAss... Sh** I think we've exercised humility like crazy showing the utmost appreciation for the likes of Lashlee. Clean up after yourselves after you all finish each other off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back