The OC Candidates Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know I have great love and respect for you.

But...

WHAT?

Ed Orgeron was fired at UM. I'm not saying he's not a helluva coach, but his problems WHILE AT UM were profound. Easily could have (some would say should have) been arrested. And I have tremendous respect for Ed O. But come on.

And as for "Drunken Dennis" as he was known...I was in school back then...the stories of Dennis drinking himself silly at The Faculty Club/Alumni House were legendary. I once had (lost it now) a FANTASTIC photo of Dennis OUT-OF-HIS-MIND drunk at the party after the 1990 Sugar Bowl (where I snuck into the party). Dennis may have pulled off a couple of great years early in his tenure, but things definitely declined in later years, when his behavior became worse.
His point is that Ed O and others (Greg Mark, Dennis E.) had success at Miami despite having off-field issues (drinking, etc.) that were kept quiet for most of their tenure.

Advertisement

But...

WHAT?

Ed Orgeron was fired at UM. I'm not saying he's not a helluva coach, but his problems WHILE AT UM were profound. Easily could have (some would say should have) been arrested. And I have tremendous respect for Ed O. But come on.

And as for "Drunken Dennis" as he was known...I was in school back then...the stories of Dennis drinking himself silly at The Faculty Club/Alumni House were legendary. I once had (lost it now) a FANTASTIC photo of Dennis OUT-OF-HIS-MIND drunk at the party after the 1990 Sugar Bowl (where I snuck into the party). Dennis may have pulled off a couple of great years early in his tenure, but things definitely declined in later years, when his behavior became worse.
Oh I don’t disagree with anything you said, I’m just saying they were still good coaches while having way more severe off-field issues than what Scott allegedly underwent.

Ed O definitely could have been fired sooner lol. But he was still a solid coach despite the problems.

It’s relatively mute since we’re not comparing apples to apples, I’m just saying it’s not a unique situation. Plus the Administration now is certainly more sensitive on such matters, especially after Gattis.

Oh I don’t disagree with anything you said, I’m just saying they were still good coaches while having way more severe off-field issues than what Scott allegedly underwent.

Ed O definitely could have been fired sooner lol.

OK, fair enough, just got confused there.

You are right, guys can be "functional". I'm concerned with Frost having flamed out recently at his alma mater, and then how long it will take for him to make meaningful progress. That's all. I do like the guy, nothing against him (though he went to Nebraska), I just would hate to see him have similar problems at Miami.

Advertisement
I wouldn’t trip over Frost. I am intrigued with him. It wasn’t too long ago that he was considered rising elite. I would still have to be in Missouri mode with him. You get me Mullen, i am going to make reservations in Charlotte

The most important quality, by far, in an OC imo is in-game adjustments and the ability to read a defense on game-day and make split second adjustments and play calls.

That is the quality most associated with consistently producing elite offensives

Every single person can sit for 50+ hours and gameplan. You can gameplan all you want (and it’s important), but how are you gonna respond when a defense hits you with a brand new look or your gameplan is just not working.

For example, Coley’s first 15-20 plays are masterful.

Once the defense adjusts though, he can’t counter-adjust. He can’t quickly process what the defense is throwing at him and call plays that exploit the opposing defense. He’s a step behind the rest of the game.

CFB’s best offensive coordinators - Mullen, Kiffin, the Riley brothers, etc. - are quick processors with an excellent feel for the game. That’s why they almost always produce high-powered, explosive offenses regardless of talent level and injury luck.

Coley can’t do it. It’s part of the reason Joe Brady failed at Carolina. People say he was consistently late in getting calls in and failed to properly counter opposing defense’s adjustments. That’s not a talent issue, that’s a coaching issue.

Advertisement
Maaaannnnnn outta that bunch, Give me Frost... drinking issues. be damned. But even with his issues, he's better than Peetz and Coley.... combined. That ain't my idea of the "best we can get", when we got really good OC money on the table. Hopefully there's some other candidates out there that were looking at? But if he can control his issues, we could do a lot worse than Frost.
I wouldn’t look into the drinking issue much. Not much else to do in Lincoln Nebraska.

YOUR OFF TOPIC of this title trend….

The OC Candidates Thread….this is offensive should be reported inappropriatePlease refrain from doing so​

Calm Down Al Pacino GIF

Arizona Florida Texas have people moving in droves

I try not to bring up politics in here but you can only tax your residents so much before they move elsewhere

It's not just tax, it's also (relatively) affordable housing. AZ, FL, and TX have plenty of areas where you can buy a moderately affordable house. GA and NC too.

Advertisement
I wouldn’t look into the drinking issue much. Not much else to do in Lincoln Nebraska.

He went to college there. He knew what to expect.

If "Nebraska" was a worse environment for him, I'd hazard a guess that it had to do with "high expectations" more than anything else.

Could lead to some good productive conversations between him and Mario.

Advertisement
I'm surprised his name hasn't been mentioned more. Would definitely prefer Yost over Arroyo or Coley.
I have seen some people mention him ... generally as a QB or WR coach along with a bigger name OC ... to step in when the big name leaves.

But...

WHAT?

Used to see Dennis all the time for the late night rounds at the Taurus Tavern in the Grove.

The most important quality, by far, in an OC imo is in-game adjustments and the ability to read a defense on game-day and make split second adjustments and play calls.

That is the quality most associated with consistently producing elite offensives

Every single person can sit for 50+ hours and gameplan. You can gameplan all you want (and it’s important), but how are you gonna respond when a defense hits you with a brand new look or your gameplan is just not working.

For example, Coley’s first 15-20 plays are masterful.

Once the defense adjusts though, he can’t counter-adjust. He can’t quickly process what the defense is throwing at him and call plays that exploit the opposing defense. He’s a step behind the rest of the game.

CFB’s best offensive coordinators - Mullen, Kiffin, the Riley brothers, etc. - are quick processors with an excellent feel for the game. That’s why they almost always produce high-powered, explosive offenses regardless of talent level and injury luck.

Coley can’t do it. It’s part of the reason Joe Brady failed at Carolina. People say he was consistently late in getting calls in and failed to properly counter opposing defense’s adjustments. That’s not a talent issue, that’s a coaching issue.

Very Very Well Said

Couple these facts with the reality that opposing coaches are often skilled in their own right and have quality support staff scouting you every step of the way.

If you are too systematic in your approach the second half of the season teams will knowingly take your strengths away schematically and attack your deficiencies ruthlessly.

Being predictable & being to hard headed to allow outside input + thoroughly self scouting is a recipe for late season collapses.

Starting off a genius doesn’t do U any good when you finish like a dope with no hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back