Official The OC Candidates Thread 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mario was not in control of the process for a good while leading up to Gattis's termination and was limited in what he was allowed to do proactively.
Interesting. Was the decision completely tied up, and therefore Mario couldn’t even contact potential replacements? If so, what a disaster, just in general lol

Advertisement
Mario was not in control of the process for a good while leading up to Gattis's termination and was limited in what he was allowed to do proactively.
you can still back-channel. no different than Dabo knowing he was letting Streeter go and having an OC in place the next day after he was gone.

Advertisement
Interesting. Was the decision completely tied up, and therefore Mario couldn’t even contact potential replacements? If so, what a disaster, just in general lol
I imagine yes.... this is just a hypothetical but if a school was looking to terminate someone for cause, I imagine HR has a lot of hoops and procedures to jump through. I also imagine it would be somewhat difficult to start seeking replacements BEFORE that investigation/procedures are complete. If you do, it seems like you would already have signaled you have moved on and even if said wrongdoer was cleared, you are going to fire them anyways or that the investigation is a sham. Makes it harder to have a true for cause basis if you were firing regardless.

Last edited:
Nobody is saying that, for what we know Moorhead wasn’t a candidate for us.

We have plenty of things to ***** about, I don’t think we need to invent new ones.
certainly strange timing that Mario previous OC gets an extension through 2027 after a 2-10 season while Mario is looking for a OC

Reactions: 88
Can we PLEASE stop with the Norm Chow jokes? Geesh!
In my drunken stupor last night no ******* lie - I had a dream that included Norm Chow up on a perch telling me he wasn’t going to be the OC at Miami.

He said Mario didn’t want him nor for him to bring Reggie Bush or Matt Leinart with him.

I need help!!

Advertisement
You guys don’t get it. For the millionth time, nobody worth a **** wants to come here as the OC. It doesn’t matter if we’re paying $2M/year. Lower your expectations for an up and comer from a lower level, and you’ll be pleased. If it’s some washed up retread well then…..we’re fooked.
What if we prefer an up and comer? Do we still need to lower expectations in that case?

Advertisement
You guys don’t get it. For the millionth time, nobody worth a **** wants to come here as the OC. It doesn’t matter if we’re paying $2M/year. Lower your expectations for an up and comer from a lower level, and you’ll be pleased. If it’s some washed up retread well then…..we’re fooked.

D6868AE0-B3C7-4353-90E3-106013D17250.gif

Advertisement
I think the optics would keep us from seriously considering him as a candidate, we too big of a program and have too much money at our disposal now to make a hire like that

Even though Taylor is listed as the OC/RB coach, he's a former QB so he could probably handle QB coach duties. Maybe Cristobal could consider doing like Ed O and pairing up a young innovator (CT) as Co-OC with a more established (but probably less innovative) OC.

When you're in the nascent stages of trying to go big as a program, you will not have your first pick of every assistant. This requires that you sometimes overpay, and sometimes overachieve. At this point, if we want an established name, we are going to have to overpay. It is what it is.

I don't know specifics on how tight the handcuffs were. But it was a situation where other considerations were trump and there would be emphasis on ensuring that an HR process does not look like it's a kangaroo court with the outcome already decided from the start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back