Official The OC Candidates Thread 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
3C4E97F0-B7CA-4C52-A79D-B20E2BDB40BA.gif

Not buying this. Even if couldn't formally contact folks, he & his so-called circle of trust could still toss around ideas. No reason not to work back channels and gage interest. No reason for Mario to hunker down and sleep for a month.
The issues regarding Gattis’s firing have been discussed fairly extensively. Firing someone for cause is a very detailed process and missing any details can be costly in both reputation and $$$ coupled with the fact we have no idea what was in his contract.

If the person being fired got wind that a replacement had already been hired or even contacted, it opens an entire can of worms that would drag the firing process out indefinitely.

Advertisement
This is a new one.

You’ve always been a solid poster going way back and are more dialed in than most., so I don’t doubt it.

What sucks is we’ve read so many stories about this process that it doesn’t even matter if it’s true.

I know the BOT and powers that be dgaf what we think, but you can’t blame anyone for taking every rumor with a huge lump of salt.
for sure man- old rivals crew unites ! You've always been fair and up front with people so I appreciate that. I don't blame anyone for being cautious with what they read and believe. Doesn't offend me at all. And I'm happy to say I know maybe 5-10% of the details/story. If I knew a ton more I probably wouldn't be saying anything on the subject at all lol

no reason fam? Like you cannot think of ANY reason? What if one of those so called back channels blabs to another person about being contacted, or an agent talks to Gattis agent? Like I am sure Mario and his people were coming up with a list prob back in Nov. But to actually start reaching out and setting up interviews or gauging interest? prob very very cautious. Like MAYBE he would reach out to someone he trusts directly to gauge interest but doubtful he is throwing out his full cast net.
The simplest way to look at this is you want Mario being able to sit in a deposition in a theoretical Gattis lawsuit and honestly testify that he was not doing anything to find a replacement for Gattis as the process was playing out. Otherwise, the process given to Gattis looks pretextual.

Miami has alot of bandwagon and casual fans who dont follow the ins and outs. They check in spring game then they check out till fall practice and the season is in the air. They dont care about all this.

But the people like us who follow everything....not me though. Cristobal is not endearing himself with people with this process. Whoever he hires, imagine if they struggle out the gate. Miami negativity can become a snowball. Alot of coaches cant deal with it. This was way too long. He needs to revise this. If i interviewed and didnt get the job, by the length of the process, i aint answering Cristobal phone call in the future if it comes open again.

There been reports some coaches were frustrated with the waiting since some have to think about current employees and players who wanna know their plans. He needs to revise that ch!t.

Advertisement
i believe i know who you're speaking of, good guy. He also was a fan of the Guidry hire. He's been pushing Taylor for a minute, checked him out and would love it as a hire though I'm sure if the hire was announced as an OC from WIlliam & Mary, the fanbase would cause the internet to crash in revolt :ROFLMAO:
I don’t know too much about Christian Taylor but I would much rather take the risk on an unknown guy who’s been producing at the lower levels than some well known retread like Applewhite or Coley at OC who has been underwhelming at multiple stops the last several years.

It would give me more confidence that Marios process is taking long because his outside the box thinking is causing him to be more thorough gathering info rather than what appears trying to determine which unwanted retread would the fanbase have to hold their noses the least for.

Advertisement
When you're in the nascent stages of trying to go big as a program, you will not have your first pick of every assistant. This requires that you sometimes overpay, and sometimes overachieve. At this point, if we want an established name, we are going to have to overpay. It is what it is.
This is entirely fair, but I think it also feeds into some of the frustrations with the process. Candidly, I couldn't care less about overpaying. Not my money and I am sure the people whose money it is are fine contributing a little more for the right people. But my issue is we are at this beginning stage, so stop being fixated on a guy who told you no last year and has hesitations leaving a head coaching gig again this year, emulate what you did at DC, and just find a good coach on an expanded board.

for sure man- old rivals crew unites ! You've always been fair and up front with people so I appreciate that. I don't blame anyone for being cautious with what they read and believe. Doesn't offend me at all. And I'm happy to say I know maybe 5-10% of the details/story. If I knew a ton more I probably wouldn't be saying anything on the subject at all lol
Providing insight is valuable in and of itself and helps those that have little to no experience in such situations better understand the possible ramifications concerning certain decisions. What others do with that information is an entirely different subject.

Advertisement
The longer Mario drags this out the more opportunity he provides candidates that interviewed leverage to get promotions/bonuses/extensions from their current employer
that's how you arrive at fair market value. Shouldn't impact Mario unless they get priced out of what he thinks is fair value. It's obvious being at a new job or new contract does not mean coaches can't jump at another opportunity (see: Steele last year, and Guidry this year). I guess Mario is willing to play that game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back