Official The OC Candidates Thread 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you're in the nascent stages of trying to go big as a program, you will not have your first pick of every assistant. This requires that you sometimes overpay, and sometimes overachieve. At this point, if we want an established name, we are going to have to overpay. It is what it is.

Yes. Guys acting like we can pay "market" and get whoever we want.

Advertisement
Mario was not in control of the process for a good while leading up to Gattis's termination and was limited in what he was allowed to do proactively.
Not buying this. Even if couldn't formally contact folks, he & his so-called circle of trust could still toss around ideas. No reason not to work back channels and gage interest. No reason for Mario to hunker down and sleep for a month.

Not buying this. Even if couldn't formally contact folks, he & his so-called circle of trust could still toss around ideas. No reason not to work back channels and gage interest. No reason for Mario to hunker down and sleep for a month.

Oh lord. You have no idea who you're talking to and what his qualifications are.

And I'm not mad at anyone. People are entitled to opinions. But stating them as facts...probably not the best idea...

Regardless of anything...if someone is told something...is someone is told to follow a procedure...right/wrong/indifferent, that's what happens. And, yes, HR Departments tend to be risk-averse.

Advertisement
Mario was not in control of the process for a good while leading up to Gattis's termination and was limited in what he was allowed to do proactively.

This is a new one.

You’ve always been a solid poster going way back and are more dialed in than most., so I don’t doubt it.

What sucks is we’ve read so many stories about this process that it doesn’t even matter if it’s true.

I know the BOT and powers that be dgaf what we think, but you can’t blame anyone for taking every rumor with a huge lump of salt.

Oh lord. You have no idea who you're talking to and what his qualifications are.

And I'm not mad at anyone. People are entitled to opinions. But stating them as facts...probably not the best idea...

Regardless of anything...if someone is told something...is someone is told to follow a procedure...right/wrong/indifferent, that's what happens. And, yes, HR Departments tend to be risk-averse.
Agreed

What transpired with the Gattis firing is irrelevant at this point. It’s been stated it was a very delicate, policy and legal dictated process.

I would have thought everyone had moved on from this step

When you're in the nascent stages of trying to go big as a program, you will not have your first pick of every assistant. This requires that you sometimes overpay, and sometimes overachieve. At this point, if we want an established name, we are going to have to overpay. It is what it is.

They have shown this past year that they will pay what's necessary.

I subscribe more to the idea that Mario "locked in" on a choice (Candle) and didn't prioritize cultivating strong back-ups and instead focused on "closing" and getting his win on option A. An option that, as discussed, is a low risk, incredibly well vetted, solid passing grade.

IMO, Mario wants to make Candle feel wanted and is giving him as much flexibility and time as possible to show that he's not going to micro manage a former HC. Mario may feel pushing Candle for a decision will result in looking desperate and losing him.

Advertisement
messign w me?
Something possibly, but not really confirmed with a possible train like act.

2A63002B-FE60-4865-802E-0FFF7060678E.gif

Another guy out there that’s out of a job and itching to work that would come here and tear it up…

Nick Rolovich

Obviously has a cloud over his head due to a lawsuit against Wazzu’s AD. I can’t fault him for standing his ground in that situation. He proved to be in the right. Luckily Miami is a private school and has more leeway on those things.
Rolo, now that would be fun. Good guy too.
Never in a million years could I see Mario going full June Jones / Mouse Davis run and shoot tree though.

Advertisement
You guys don’t get it. For the millionth time, nobody worth a **** wants to come here as the OC. It doesn’t matter if we’re paying $2M/year. Lower your expectations for an up and comer from a lower level, and you’ll be pleased. If it’s some washed up retread well then…..we’re fooked.
Why, exactly, do you think that?

no reason fam? Like you cannot think of ANY reason? What if one of those so called back channels blabs to another person about being contacted, or an agent talks to Gattis agent? Like I am sure Mario and his people were coming up with a list prob back in Nov. But to actually start reaching out and setting up interviews or gauging interest? prob very very cautious. Like MAYBE he would reach out to someone he trusts directly to gauge interest but doubtful he is throwing out his full cast net.

Advertisement
Even though Taylor is listed as the OC/RB coach, he's a former QB so he could probably handle QB coach duties. Maybe Cristobal could consider doing like Ed O and pairing up a young innovator (CT) as Co-OC with a more established (but probably less innovative) OC.

Yeah I wouldn’t be mad at a Taylor/Scott or Taylor/Coley combo considering some of the names that are being mentioned. My concern though is that I would want Taylor to bring his playbook and scheme and I would want him to call plays, because I think he has good rhythm as a play caller. Maybe the three play suggested call method would work here, if he were suggesting the plays to someone else calling them.

Nevertheless Taylor is probably nothing more than a wish at this stage. Our administration and most of our fan base are probably too high class for hire like this now, it would bring the pitch forks out.

I subscribe more to the idea that Mario "locked in" on a choice (Candle) and didn't prioritize cultivating strong back-ups and instead focused on "closing" and getting his win on option A. An option that, as discussed, is a low risk, incredibly well vetted, solid passing grade.

IMO, Mario wants to make Candle feel wanted and is giving him as much flexibility and time as possible to show that he's not going to micro manage a former HC. Mario may feel pushing Candle for a decision will result in looking desperate and losing him.

I remember a dude like that. We worked together. He spent a lot of time trying to woo and impress this woman with the good guy / classy act.

The entire time she was getting her back blown out by the janitor - lol 😂

Agreed

What transpired with the Gattis firing is irrelevant at this point. It’s been stated it was a very delicate, policy and legal dictated process.

I would have thought everyone had moved on from this step

Exactly. And I'm not trying to "know more" than anyone else, I'm just pointing out that speculation on what Mario coulda/woulda/shoulda done may differ from what he was advised to do or not do.

That is all.

Let's move on.

That's possible. Some guys are still just gonna say no. My point is a general one, and not so much specific to this singular hiring circumstance.

Reactions: D7.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back