The nobody gives a crap update

I think he’d be a terrible hire, but he’d take this job in a second. He interviewed for it back in 2010 and 2015, and there was some smoke they were about to offer it to him in 2015 before Richt became available. Big reason for his continued candidacy was that Shalala loved him.

However, doubt he’d be a candidate now. We can get a way better coach than him.

Shalala and Schiano are both northeasterners with names that are impossible to pronounce for Manny Diaz.

Again, when he was 10 years removed from the job...maybe. 2015 was post-Bucs-debacle. But 21 years later, with Rutgers now in the Big 10 and Schiano in his mid-50s? Maybe now those 2 years at Miami are not as powerful as they once were.

Advertisement
I’m not sure about any coach that goes 4-3 in his third year with advantages all over the place. Agree to disagree.

2010 Dabo agrees with you...
1632520854989.jpeg

Shalala and Schiano are both northeasterners with names that are impossible to pronounce for Manny Diaz.

Again, when he was 10 years removed from the job...maybe. 2015 was post-Bucs-debacle. But 21 years later, with Rutgers now in the Big 10 and Schiano in his mid-50s? Maybe now those 2 years at Miami are not as powerful as they once were.
Yeah I don’t think there’s any pull to Miami like they type of pill Mario may feel. But, this would be the best job he has a chance at getting. No way any other P5 with our history would give him a look. He almost got the Tennessee job and their fans nearly rioted.

2010 Dabo agrees with you...
View attachment 155789
Funny enough, before the dumpster fire we have now, I thought there was a chance Manny could end up like Dabo. First time HC that was promoted from a failed regime. Lost at first but made the right moves in the off-season to adjust. It happened for Dabo but for whatever reason just didn’t happen for Manny. Wasn’t for a lack of trying, he just doesn’t have the experience or tenacity to make it work at this level.

Funny enough, before the dumpster fire we have now, I thought there was a chance Manny could end up like Dabo. First time HC that was promoted from a failed regime. Lost at first but made the right moves in the off-season to adjust. It happened for Dabo but for whatever reason just didn’t happen for Manny. Wasn’t for a lack of trying, he just doesn’t have the experience or tenacity to make it work at this level.

Dabo's from Alabama, Manny's from F$U. I guess we should have seen this coming...

Advertisement
There is a certain irony in the fact that Diaz's career is over in part due to an ill advised scheduling decision made years ago by the guy who made the ill advised decision to hire him.

I absolutely loathe opening day games against top teams. I don't think ADs think enough about setting a coach up for success with a smartly built schedule. Miami should have opened with App State or a similar team. You want a team good enough to push your guys but not good enough to beat you if you make a few mistakes (can be expected in a first game of the season). Then play a tougher team like Michigan State to really give the team an eye opener for where it stands and what it has to work on. Next a cupcake like Central Connecticut so that the team is as healthy as possible for the premier OOC game, which should be game 4. Worst case you are 2-1 going into the showcase game. If you lose, it stinks but you are still 2-2 going into conference play. There might be some grumbles but few people are going to declare the season is lost just because the team has a 2-2 record.

There is a certain irony in the fact that Diaz's career is over in part due to an ill advised scheduling decision made years ago by the guy who made the ill advised decision to hire him.

I absolutely loathe opening day games against top teams. I don't think ADs think enough about setting a coach up for success with a smartly built schedule. Miami should have opened with App State or a similar team. You want a team good enough to push your guys but not good enough to beat you if you make a few mistakes (can be expected in a first game of the season). Then play a tougher team like Michigan State to really give the team an eye opener for where it stands and what it has to work on. Next a cupcake like Central Connecticut so that the team is as healthy as possible for the premier OOC game, which should be game 4. Worst case you are 2-1 going into the showcase game. If you lose, it stinks but you are still 2-2 going into conference play. There might be some grumbles but few people are going to declare the season is lost just because the team has a 2-2 record.

I would simply point out that the Alabama game was scheduled at roughly the same time that Richt had us up to the #2 team in the country.

Advertisement
Since I had OP deleted I’ll just say King has structural damage to his shoulder , They want to do season ending surgery for obvious reasons. He wants to try rehabbing . That being said I’d be shocked if he plays another down here.
If it’s structural then there’s no way. I’d tell him to start preparing for a position change and the draft.

I would simply point out that the Alabama game was scheduled at roughly the same time that Richt had us up to the #2 team in the country.

An AD can't expect that the team is going to be ranked top 10 4 years later. 2017 is a good case study about setting up a progressively difficult schedule.

Schedule in order:

BCU
Arky State
Toledo
Duke
FSU
GT
UNC
VT
ND
UVA
Pitt

Cupcake, then a slightly tougher challenge, then a good G5, then an average P5 (in this case a conference opponent). Any coach should easily be 4-0 with that setup, now the team is feeling great with momentum going into a big rivalry game. ND was a little later in the season than I think would be ideal, but it set up nicely so that even if was a L, you have two beatable opponents afterwards to get momentum back. Maybe once you've had 4 or 5 straight seasons of double digit wins you can think the team will be ready to open against another elite team (can reasonably expect that the team will be consistently good at that point), but until then, an AD should try to give every coach an opportunity to build a little momentum going into conference play.

Honestly, Diaz should go into politics.

Evidently he's very good at the politiking, scheming and manipulating part of being a HC, but sadly he can't lead 18-22 year olds and doesn't do the basics right in practice.

Advertisement
An AD can't expect that the team is going to be ranked top 10 4 years later. 2017 is a good case study about setting up a progressively difficult schedule.

Schedule in order:

BCU
Arky State
Toledo
Duke
FSU
GT
UNC
VT
ND
UVA
Pitt

Cupcake, then a slightly tougher challenge, then a good G5, then an average P5 (in this case a conference opponent). Any coach should easily be 4-0 with that setup, now the team is feeling great with momentum going into a big rivalry game. ND was a little later in the season than I think would be ideal, but it set up nicely so that even if was a L, you have two beatable opponents afterwards to get momentum back. Maybe once you've had 4 or 5 straight seasons of double digit wins you can think the team will be ready to open against another elite team (can reasonably expect that the team will be consistently good at that point), but until then, an AD should try to give every coach an opportunity to build a little momentum going into conference play.
Couldn’t agree more man
Look at all the teams bama opened with the last couple years
They were broken for the rest of the season
But honestly with manny there is no easy game
Just open with 4 fcs opponents

Don't lose faith my friend

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back