The nobody gives a crap update

Harbaugh lost one game and won the Orange Bowl with a top QB at Stanford…

Like a said, if he continues playing well and finishes the year strong I’m on board, just want to be sure he’s not just a dude who had a good season once
Jimmy The Tree Climber has significantly underperformed in Ann Arbor vs expectations

Advertisement
I would have to believe if "people" from Miami approach Mario with an offer, knowing what the buyout is, they are also cognizant and ready to fund the $$$ needed to support him. It would be incredibly shortsighted not to be prepared in that regard. It's part of the business proposal.

To add to this, I would also assume that wherever the money is coming from, whoever is funding it, understands and commits to paying it for at least an agreed upon number of years.

There's no point starting any conversations unless these things are already covered.

Clark’s a good coach, as is Jamey Chadwell at Coastal Carolina. I would be concerned about both moving up in weight class but certainly wouldn‘t dismiss either one as a candidate. There have been plenty of excellent lower tier coaches who failed when moving up the P5 level. And there have been successes, too.

Miami should aim higher. Both of the coaches above should be Plan B or C.
Miami would have to accept "Toyota Way" of all things football for Chadwell.

Lots of broken glass in Hecht if so (really anywhere he goes besides Coastal)

He needs to slap his reliable source. As I posted earlier in this thread “there’s only one name until he says no“ . If you hear anything different than Mario you’re being fed a **** sandwich.
👆Respect this marker being put down.

Win, lose, or draw.

Funny thing about predictions, they always come true until they don't.

Guess first mile marker is this Friday*/weekend....

z8AJNUSLDgNvG.gif

*would be very odd timing, IF the 🔥🔥sauce is correct, likely Sunday/Monday kinda thing due to tight turn facing Virginia

Last edited:
I would have to believe if "people" from Miami approach Mario with an offer, knowing what the buyout is, they are also cognizant and ready to fund the $$$ needed to support him. It would be incredibly shortsighted not to be prepared in that regard. It's part of the business proposal.

To add to this, I would also assume that wherever the money is coming from, whoever is funding it, understands and commits to paying it for at least an agreed upon number of years.

There's no point starting any conversations unless these things are already covered.
Yep. I imagine those things would be required by him to consider taking the job. Regardless of how much the wife wants to come home.

Advertisement
Generally winners tend to win where ever they go. There are a few coaches on a lot of people’s lists that are doing well at historically bad schools. He’s had a lot of experience since those days so I’d be willing to look past that.

Looking at Oregon, it was only last season he was losing to teams with a lot less talent. If that’s not a red flag it’s something to take into account. We probably aren’t at the point where we can be picky. But we’re talking backing in a brinks truck for far from a sure thing, regardless of the OSU win. But hey beggars can’t be choosers at this point.

I don’t have anything personal with the guy, he’s a former Cane and don’t blame him for leaving Golden for Saban. I just have the firm belief winners win no matter what. Def want to see how this season plays out. If he doesn’t implode and lose to teams with inferior talent I’m all in.

Come on, you need to stop this nonsensical over-generalization.

Sure, Oregon State and Cal are just "teams with a lot less talent".

Oregon State was a road game to a 100+ year in-state rival. Anything can happen. As for Cal, they were actually receiving votes in both the AP and Coaches polls before they started playing games. Let's not pretend that they were "less talented", they just lost 3 games to open the season.

And it cannot be overlooked that the Pac 12 had the shortest season in P5 and were devastated by Covid limitations, often setting up "replacement" games on short notice with almost no time to game-prep for a particular opponent.

NONE of that is an excuse, it is just an accurate contextualization of why TWO single-digit road losses, one against an in-state rival and one against a team that was nearly ranked in the pre-season, should not be transformed into some sort of huge generalization that Oregon "lost" games to "teams with a lot less talent".

Mario’s job, of course, is to run the table out there. His agent will do the rest. JMHO.

What about this scenario...Oregon loses a close road game to UCLA. USC wins out and beats Oregon in the Pac 12 championship game (obviously Oregon plays like crap because of all the Mario-to-UM rumors). Oregon misses out on the Final 4. Everyone is still OK with a 1-loss/conference-championship-game-loss Mario, after winning the Pac 12 in the preceding 2 years?

Advertisement
What's his deal with Miami?

He was only at Miami for 2 years. He didn't super-love Miami and Miami didn't super-love him (ask @Poopscoop ).

Unlike Mario, I don't think this is Schiano's "dream job", and our fans need to stop acting as if 2 good years from 1999-2000 is some sort of siren song that will bring Schiano "back" to South Florida.

Since I had OP deleted I’ll just say King has structural damage to his shoulder , They want to do season ending surgery for obvious reasons. He wants to try rehabbing . That being said I’d be shocked if he plays another down here.
Please tell me Kings injury doesnt give Diaz another year. Also, any idea on interim head coach if Diaz gets fired before the end of the season?

Advertisement
Since I had OP deleted I’ll just say King has structural damage to his shoulder , They want to do season ending surgery for obvious reasons. He wants to try rehabbing . That being said I’d be shocked if he plays another down here.
I say fire Rhett hire King to call offensive and use money to pay for Mario

Come on, you need to stop this nonsensical over-generalization.

Sure, Oregon State and Cal are just "teams with a lot less talent".

Oregon State was a road game to a 100+ year in-state rival. Anything can happen. As for Cal, they were actually receiving votes in both the AP and Coaches polls before they started playing games. Let's not pretend that they were "less talented", they just lost 3 games to open the season.

And it cannot be overlooked that the Pac 12 had the shortest season in P5 and were devastated by Covid limitations, often setting up "replacement" games on short notice with almost no time to game-prep for a particular opponent.

NONE of that is an excuse, it is just an accurate contextualization of why TWO single-digit road losses, one against an in-state rival and one against a team that was nearly ranked in the pre-season, should not be transformed into some sort of huge generalization that Oregon "lost" games to "teams with a lot less talent".

They are excuses. 4-3 in the Pac-12isn’t super tight.

You’re sounding like the slurpers on here that make excuses for our loser coaches after losing to Virginia and GT in year 3.

Not saying Cristobal isn’t the guy. I’m just saying I have no clue how so many on this board are so sure about him one way or another.

Advertisement
They are excuses. 4-3 in the Pac-12isn’t super tight.

You’re sounding like the slurpers on here that make excuses for our loser coaches after losing to Virginia and GT in year 3.

Not saying Cristobal isn’t the guy. I’m just saying I have no clue how so many on this board are so sure about him one way or another.

4-2 in the Pac 12. The third loss was the bowl game, the first one he's lost as a full-season head coach at Oregon.

It's not about "excuses", it's about not going logic-free insane over TWO of his NINE losses over 3.25 seasons as a full-season head coach at Oregon.

It's about not letting my head explode over a 3-point road loss to a fierce in-state rival, which is the only time (thus far) that Mario has lost to that rival?

It's about not getting your panties in a bunch over a 4-point road loss to a conference foe that was nearly-ranked in the pre-season, and was not nearly as "talentless" as you like to claim. And, similar to Oregon State, it was the only time (thus far) that Mario has lost to that team, including when he beat a ranked Cal team in 2018. Again, NOT as "less talented" as you try to make it seem.

That is not slurping. That is what is involved in doing a deep dive into the context and circumstances surrounding Mario's career. If you honestly have convinced yourself that losses to Oregon State and Cal are "inexplicable" and "inexcusable", you expose your own biases against Mario.

Nobody has equated Mario with Saban. But there are a whoooooole bunch of other retread names that are being bandied about as "better" than Mario, that have way more "warts" than Mario, and yet Mario is the guy who has to "prove himself" with 9 more games of "success", as if the preceding 3.25 years haven't established anything worth hiring.

I’m not sure about any coach that goes 4-3 in his third year with advantages all over the place. Agree to disagree.

He was only at Miami for 2 years. He didn't super-love Miami and Miami didn't super-love him (ask @Poopscoop ).

Unlike Mario, I don't think this is Schiano's "dream job", and our fans need to stop acting as if 2 good years from 1999-2000 is some sort of siren song that will bring Schiano "back" to South Florida.
I think he’d be a terrible hire, but he’d take this job in a second. He interviewed for it back in 2010 and 2015, and there was some smoke they were about to offer it to him in 2015 before Richt became available. Big reason for his continued candidacy was that Shalala loved him.

However, doubt he’d be a candidate now. We can get a way better coach than him.

Please tell me Kings injury doesnt give Diaz another year. Also, any idea on interim head coach if Diaz gets fired before the end of the season?
The injury won’t give him cover. If we lose big time UVA and UNC he’s gone. As for an interim I could only speculate, but either Rhett Lashlee or Jess Simpson would be the obvious choice, imho.

Advertisement
Back