The myth of Cristobal "The Recruiter"

Here's the biggest indictment on Mario as a recruiting genius: He finished 3-9 in his 5th year at FIU.

A master recruiter, like Butch Davis, posts BETTER records the longer he's at a school, not WORSE records.

By year 5, if you're a great recruiter, and you're recruiting in Miami, you should completely own the trash that is the Sun Belt Conference. You most certainly shouldn't be going 3-9 in year 5. That tells me your roster is bare, which tells me you're a **** recruiter.

Advertisement
I specifically stated South Florida. He assisted in recruiting two of the three SoFla players on their roster. Supposedly, he's gonna "lock down" SoFla? Lulz. Not gonna happen.

By the way, how the **** did Bama get prospects before Mario? Oh yeah, Saban and Bama. It's all bull ****.

Y explain this to retards?

Let's be real...Cristobal is a position coach at Bama...the same Bama team that won a national title in 2009, 2011, and 2012 PRIOR to Cristobal getting there. He's the benefactor of being on Nick Saban's staff. He's the benefactor of being apart of one of the most dominant teams this decade. Players ain't coming to Bama b/c of Cristobal...they're coming to Bama b/c of Saban!

Now if Cristobal was able to recruit top flight recruits to FIU and he turned them into a power, then let's talk; but he didn't.

The guy is very, VERY Al Golden-esq. Golden had one good class in 2012 that cracked the top 10 and ppl labeled him the next Nick Saban....we know how both his recruiting and coaching abilities went out the door.

Hiring Cristobal would be a fatal mistake. He's a position coach that's riding the coat tail of a legend and a former head coach who failed miserably in the sun-belt conference. I can't think the Board is that dense to consider him...but if he is the next guy....its been a pleasure getting to know you guys.

Let's be real...Cristobal is a position coach at Bama...the same Bama team that won a national title in 2009, 2011, and 2012 PRIOR to Cristobal getting there. He's the benefactor of being on Nick Saban's staff. He's the benefactor of being apart of one of the most dominant teams this decade. Players ain't coming to Bama b/c of Cristobal...they're coming to Bama b/c of Saban!

Now if Cristobal was able to recruit top flight recruits to FIU and he turned them into a power, then let's talk; but he didn't.

The guy is very, VERY Al Golden-esq. Golden had one good class in 2012 that cracked the top 10 and ppl labeled him the next Nick Saban....we know how both his recruiting and coaching abilities went out the door.

Hiring Cristobal would be a fatal mistake. He's a position coach that's riding the coat tail of a legend and a former head coach who failed miserably in the sun-belt conference. I can't think the Board is that dense to consider him...but if he is the next guy....its been a pleasure getting to know you guys.

That 2012 class was not good go look at my thread.

Answer the question people. Everybody knows what bama has done in recruiting but we are talking about individual success as a recruiter.

You have all the people who are involved in recruiting for a living say the guy is the real deal, you have guys who are with this site saying the samething.

Why did saban hire him? If he can't coach or recruit.

DUDE! My Gawd, is this Mario himself?! Bama has been recruiting before you got there! Mike Groh won recruiter of year! Jeremy Pruitt Also! If Cristobal leaves someone else will get it. Kirby smart has been top 5 recruiter for years there, Billy Napier has received some love for what he has done. Why? Because they are at BAMA! Not because of Mario Cristobal.

Alabama wide receivers coach Mike Groh named 247Sports' Recruiter of the Year | AL.com

Alabama's Kirby Smart, Billy Napier among 247Sports' top 5 recruiters for 2014 class | AL.com

Advertisement
Answer the question people. Everybody knows what bama has done in recruiting but we are talking about individual success as a recruiter.

You have all the people who are involved in recruiting for a living say the guy is the real deal, you have guys who are with this site saying the samething.

Why did saban hire him? If he can't coach or recruit.

DUDE! My Gawd, is this Mario himself?! Bama has been recruiting before you got there! Mike Groh won recruiter of year! Jeremy Pruitt Also! If Cristobal leaves someone else will get it. Kirby smart has been top 5 recruiter for years there, Billy Napier has received some love for what he has done. Why? Because they are at BAMA! Not because of Mario Cristobal.

Alabama wide receivers coach Mike Groh named 247Sports' Recruiter of the Year | AL.com

Alabama's Kirby Smart, Billy Napier among 247Sports' top 5 recruiters for 2014 class | AL.com

Pruitt is still a good recruiter and he is not a bama anymore. People are saying he cant recruit when you have everybody else involved with recruiting saying he is the real deal. Why is people on this board the only ones who think he can't recruit? Why did saban hire him if he can't coach or recruit?

Lol at stealing my thread title. But the guy can actually recruit but coaching on the other hand..

The National Recruiter of the Year is determined using the 247Sports Recruiter Rankings. That list is formulated using the 247Sports Composite ratings of the commits that each assistant coach had a primary or secondary role in landing. Cristobal just happened to land the mother lode.

In total, Cristobal had a hand in landing 10 commits out of the 2015 class at Alabama. That’s just under half of the 24 prospects that ultimately committed or signed with the Crimson Tide. Among those commits, Cristobal managed to touch New Jersey, south Florida, Washington, D.C., and even some more local homegrown talent.

The highest rated of the group was Calvin Ridley, a wide receiver out of Pompano Beach (Fla.) Monarch who has a chance to be another Amari Cooper-type of talent in Tuscaloosa. Ridley is ranked as the No. 1 wide receiver in the country according to 247Sports Composite and Cristobal was able to capitalize on his south Florida ties to reel in not only Ridley but also his teammate in four-star athlete Shawn Burgess-Becker.

The second five-star on Cristobal’s resume came from cornerback Minkah Fitzpatrick out of Jersey City (N.J.) St. Peters Prep. The No. 5 cornerback in the country according to 247Sports Composite committed in April and Cristobal was able to hold off Florida State, Penn State, Ohio State and others to keep the 6-1, 198-pounder in the class.

Cristoabal’s experience as an assistant at Rutgers and Miami and the head coach at FIU helped him land Fitzpatrick, Ridley and Burgess-Becker but what he did closer to home in Tuscaloosa was maybe even more important.

After landing the top offensive tackle in the country in 2014 (Cameron Robinson), Alabama needed to secure a strong interior offensive line class. Cristobal was the primary recruiter on the No. 5 offensive guard in the country in Richie Petitbon and the No. 12 offensive guard in the country in Dallas Warmack. He also assisted in the recruitment of the No. 4 offensive guard in Lester Cotton, the No. 19 offensive guard in Brandon Kennedy and a really-high-upside offensive tackle in Matt Womack.

Finally, Cristobal was the primary recruiter on five-star defensive tackle Daron Payne out of Birmingham (Ala.) Shades Valley. Payne is a 6-2, 325-pound nose guard that was rated as the No. 7 defensive tackle in the country according to 247Sports Composite. That signing gave Cristobal three five-stars in the 2015 cycle.

How many 5*s has Mario signed BEFORE he got to Bama? Did Bama ever get any 5* before Mario then great got there?

Once again of course the program helps. Like i said coley has been good here but he was great at fsu because they won more. But why didn't other bama assistants do what he did? Nobody has answered this question yet.

F it, I'll play.

Here's Bama's class rankings before Cristobal:

2012- # 1 in the nation (3-5 stars, 14-4 stars)
2011- # 1 in the nation (3-5 stars, 14-4 stars)
2010-# 5 in the nation (1-5 star, 15-4 stars)
2009-#1 in the nation (4-5 stars, 14-4 stars)
**2008-#1 in the nation (3-5 stars, 19-4 stars)

** 2008 was Saban's first year and immediately got them to the No 1 class. The previous year, Bama was 10th in the nation in recruiting.

Prior to Cristobal, Bama obtained 14-5 star players, and 61-4 star players

Again, has Cristobal made a difference?

Hmmmm, I would argue that any of us would be able to do the same exact job as Cristobal just as long as we came through the door and said "Hi, I'm from Bama, and we've won 3 of the last 7 national championships and have put more kids in the NFL then any other school in that time frame...would you like sign up?"

Stop crowning another overrated guy. I don't care if he's a "Miami guy." He has no business being here other than an "assistant coach, or O line coach.

That 2012 class was not good go look at my thread.

Already answered your question and look at how "bad" that 2012 class was. Do some research then post...don't just pull crap out of the sky so u can make an illegitimate argument.

Advertisement
His name is Mario FFS you non-hetero smegma loving *****.

You want a guy named Mario running things?

Don't get me started on his HC record.

Lol at stealing my thread title. But the guy can actually recruit but coaching on the other hand..

The National Recruiter of the Year is determined using the 247Sports Recruiter Rankings. That list is formulated using the 247Sports Composite ratings of the commits that each assistant coach had a primary or secondary role in landing. Cristobal just happened to land the mother lode.

In total, Cristobal had a hand in landing 10 commits out of the 2015 class at Alabama. That’s just under half of the 24 prospects that ultimately committed or signed with the Crimson Tide. Among those commits, Cristobal managed to touch New Jersey, south Florida, Washington, D.C., and even some more local homegrown talent.

The highest rated of the group was Calvin Ridley, a wide receiver out of Pompano Beach (Fla.) Monarch who has a chance to be another Amari Cooper-type of talent in Tuscaloosa. Ridley is ranked as the No. 1 wide receiver in the country according to 247Sports Composite and Cristobal was able to capitalize on his south Florida ties to reel in not only Ridley but also his teammate in four-star athlete Shawn Burgess-Becker.

The second five-star on Cristobal’s resume came from cornerback Minkah Fitzpatrick out of Jersey City (N.J.) St. Peters Prep. The No. 5 cornerback in the country according to 247Sports Composite committed in April and Cristobal was able to hold off Florida State, Penn State, Ohio State and others to keep the 6-1, 198-pounder in the class.

Cristoabal’s experience as an assistant at Rutgers and Miami and the head coach at FIU helped him land Fitzpatrick, Ridley and Burgess-Becker but what he did closer to home in Tuscaloosa was maybe even more important.

After landing the top offensive tackle in the country in 2014 (Cameron Robinson), Alabama needed to secure a strong interior offensive line class. Cristobal was the primary recruiter on the No. 5 offensive guard in the country in Richie Petitbon and the No. 12 offensive guard in the country in Dallas Warmack. He also assisted in the recruitment of the No. 4 offensive guard in Lester Cotton, the No. 19 offensive guard in Brandon Kennedy and a really-high-upside offensive tackle in Matt Womack.

Finally, Cristobal was the primary recruiter on five-star defensive tackle Daron Payne out of Birmingham (Ala.) Shades Valley. Payne is a 6-2, 325-pound nose guard that was rated as the No. 7 defensive tackle in the country according to 247Sports Composite. That signing gave Cristobal three five-stars in the 2015 cycle.

How many 5*s has Mario signed BEFORE he got to Bama? Did Bama ever get any 5* before Mario then great got there?

Once again of course the program helps. Like i said coley has been good here but he was great at fsu because they won more. But why didn't other bama assistants do what he did? Nobody has answered this question yet.

F it, I'll play.

** 2008 was Saban's first year and immediately got them to the No 1 class. The previous year, Bama was 10th in the nation in recruiting.

Hmmmm, I would argue that any of us would be able to do the same exact job as Cristobal just as long as we came through the door and said "Hi, I'm from Bama, and we've won 3 of the last 7 national championships and have put more kids in the NFL then any other school in that time frame...would you like sign up?"

Stop crowning another overrated guy. I don't care if he's a "Miami guy." He has no business being here other than an "assistant coach, or O line coach.

You still didn't answer the question. Why is only people on this board saying he can't recruit? And why did saban hire him if he can't coach or recruit? This has nothing to do with him being a hc anywhere because nobody wants him.

So, I turned on Canesport Live with about 45 min left, right when it comes on Gary and a caller slobbing on Mario.

Gary has all his Fermites drooling for Mario, it's straight propaganda.

He went as far to say " Goldens / Blake biggest mistake was letting Cristobal get on that plane . Like that decision single handily doomed corch Golden.

Crazy

Advertisement
So, I turned on Canesport Live with about 45 min left, right when it comes on Gary and a caller slobbing on Mario.

He went as far to say " Goldens / Blake biggest mistake was letting Cristobal get on that plane . Like that decision single handily doomed corch Golden.

Crazy

I don't personally care for Ferman. He's never been on point when it comes to the Canes. He's always about himself and his website$.

F it, I'll play.

You still didn't answer the question. Why is only people on this board saying he can't recruit? And why did saban hire him if he can't coach or recruit? This has nothing to do with him being a hc anywhere because nobody wants him.

Dog, WHAT IS YOU TALKING BOUT WILLIS??!! Are u having problems comprehending ur own ?'s, my ninja?! U asked y weren't OTHER ASSISTANTS ABLE TO DO WHAT CRISTOBAL DID. Not just me, BUT ALL OF US, clearly showed you that Bama has been recruiting itself BEFORE CRISTOBAL GOT THERE! ****, what else do u need??!

Crazy

I don't personally care for Ferman. He's never been on point when it comes to the Canes. He's always about himself and his website$.

I rarely listen , recently I'm listening since coaching change.

Only reason I turned it on tonight was I had to take a big steamer , as I sat down I said to myself " hmm, I wonder if CS Live is still on"?

Advertisement
why do you really try and convince yourselves that you know anything about recruiting and coaching your freaking porsters for gods sake.

now the nations top recruiter can't recruit.

the best coaches in the country can't coach.

the simplest answer is normallythe correct answer.

you guys simply have no idea what your talking about.

F it, I'll play.

Dog, WHAT IS YOU TALKING BOUT WILLIS??!! Are u having problems comprehending ur own ?'s, my ninja?! U asked y weren't OTHER ASSISTANTS ABLE TO DO WHAT CRISTOBAL DID. Not just me, BUT ALL OF US, clearly showed you that Bama has been recruiting itself BEFORE CRISTOBAL GOT THERE! ****, what else do u need??!

Yall are saying he can't recruit. Why is everybody else involved in recruiting saying he can but this board says he can't? And if he can't coach or recruit why did saban hire him?

Advertisement
Back