The myth of Cristobal "The Recruiter"

OzarCaneSaw

Super Fan 99
All we hear about is how well Cristobal recruits SoFla. Well, the truth is there are only 3 players on Alabama's roster from SoFla and only 2 of them did he assist in recruiting. He's not the beast recruiter the media and the Mario fanboys are making him out to be. So, not only can he not coach, he sucks recruiting.

Advertisement
Lol at stealing my thread title. But the guy can actually recruit but coaching on the other hand..

The National Recruiter of the Year is determined using the 247Sports Recruiter Rankings. That list is formulated using the 247Sports Composite ratings of the commits that each assistant coach had a primary or secondary role in landing. Cristobal just happened to land the mother lode.

In total, Cristobal had a hand in landing 10 commits out of the 2015 class at Alabama. That’s just under half of the 24 prospects that ultimately committed or signed with the Crimson Tide. Among those commits, Cristobal managed to touch New Jersey, south Florida, Washington, D.C., and even some more local homegrown talent.

The highest rated of the group was Calvin Ridley, a wide receiver out of Pompano Beach (Fla.) Monarch who has a chance to be another Amari Cooper-type of talent in Tuscaloosa. Ridley is ranked as the No. 1 wide receiver in the country according to 247Sports Composite and Cristobal was able to capitalize on his south Florida ties to reel in not only Ridley but also his teammate in four-star athlete Shawn Burgess-Becker.

The second five-star on Cristobal’s resume came from cornerback Minkah Fitzpatrick out of Jersey City (N.J.) St. Peters Prep. The No. 5 cornerback in the country according to 247Sports Composite committed in April and Cristobal was able to hold off Florida State, Penn State, Ohio State and others to keep the 6-1, 198-pounder in the class.

Cristoabal’s experience as an assistant at Rutgers and Miami and the head coach at FIU helped him land Fitzpatrick, Ridley and Burgess-Becker but what he did closer to home in Tuscaloosa was maybe even more important.

After landing the top offensive tackle in the country in 2014 (Cameron Robinson), Alabama needed to secure a strong interior offensive line class. Cristobal was the primary recruiter on the No. 5 offensive guard in the country in Richie Petitbon and the No. 12 offensive guard in the country in Dallas Warmack. He also assisted in the recruitment of the No. 4 offensive guard in Lester Cotton, the No. 19 offensive guard in Brandon Kennedy and a really-high-upside offensive tackle in Matt Womack.

Finally, Cristobal was the primary recruiter on five-star defensive tackle Daron Payne out of Birmingham (Ala.) Shades Valley. Payne is a 6-2, 325-pound nose guard that was rated as the No. 7 defensive tackle in the country according to 247Sports Composite. That signing gave Cristobal three five-stars in the 2015 cycle.

Winning is the best recruiter, like...ever. Bama has been winning...are you really a great recruiter to get a kid to Bama and Saban? Geesh.

..and if he is this "great recruiter", then that would mean that he had a decided talent advantage at FIU....and he lost..alot with those kids. Keep his *** away from the U of M...

Lol at stealing my thread title. But the guy can actually recruit but coaching on the other hand..

The National Recruiter of the Year is determined using the 247Sports Recruiter Rankings. That list is formulated using the 247Sports Composite ratings of the commits that each assistant coach had a primary or secondary role in landing. Cristobal just happened to land the mother lode.

In total, Cristobal had a hand in landing 10 commits out of the 2015 class at Alabama. That’s just under half of the 24 prospects that ultimately committed or signed with the Crimson Tide. Among those commits, Cristobal managed to touch New Jersey, south Florida, Washington, D.C., and even some more local homegrown talent.

The highest rated of the group was Calvin Ridley, a wide receiver out of Pompano Beach (Fla.) Monarch who has a chance to be another Amari Cooper-type of talent in Tuscaloosa. Ridley is ranked as the No. 1 wide receiver in the country according to 247Sports Composite and Cristobal was able to capitalize on his south Florida ties to reel in not only Ridley but also his teammate in four-star athlete Shawn Burgess-Becker.

The second five-star on Cristobal’s resume came from cornerback Minkah Fitzpatrick out of Jersey City (N.J.) St. Peters Prep. The No. 5 cornerback in the country according to 247Sports Composite committed in April and Cristobal was able to hold off Florida State, Penn State, Ohio State and others to keep the 6-1, 198-pounder in the class.

Cristoabal’s experience as an assistant at Rutgers and Miami and the head coach at FIU helped him land Fitzpatrick, Ridley and Burgess-Becker but what he did closer to home in Tuscaloosa was maybe even more important.

After landing the top offensive tackle in the country in 2014 (Cameron Robinson), Alabama needed to secure a strong interior offensive line class. Cristobal was the primary recruiter on the No. 5 offensive guard in the country in Richie Petitbon and the No. 12 offensive guard in the country in Dallas Warmack. He also assisted in the recruitment of the No. 4 offensive guard in Lester Cotton, the No. 19 offensive guard in Brandon Kennedy and a really-high-upside offensive tackle in Matt Womack.

Finally, Cristobal was the primary recruiter on five-star defensive tackle Daron Payne out of Birmingham (Ala.) Shades Valley. Payne is a 6-2, 325-pound nose guard that was rated as the No. 7 defensive tackle in the country according to 247Sports Composite. That signing gave Cristobal three five-stars in the 2015 cycle.

those prospects came because of the brand and nick saban probably anybody in his role could have pulled those kids, that place practically recruits it self now its a machine there.

those prospects came because of the brand and nick saban probably anybody in his role could have pulled those kids, that place practically recruits it self now its a machine there.

Why has nobody else at bama did it then? You said bama recruits itself but nobody else on the staff did what he did. He might not can't coach but he can recruit.

Advertisement
i cant explain that , i'm just hesitant to give him credit for all of these national 5 star recruits when he's doing for a program that's been dominating since 2008. **** even larry coker was pulling national big name recruits simply from the cache built up from butch's dominating teams

I specifically stated South Florida. He assisted in recruiting two of the three SoFla players on their roster. Supposedly, he's gonna "lock down" SoFla? Lulz. Not gonna happen.

By the way, how the **** did Bama get prospects before Mario? Oh yeah, Saban and Bama. It's all bull ****.

i cant explain that , i'm just hesitant to give him credit for all of these national 5 star recruits when he's doing for a program that's been dominating since 2008. **** even larry coker was pulling national big name recruits simply from the cache built up from butch's dominating teams

Nothing to explain. Saban brought the guy there for a reason. Look at all the recruits saying they want him to get the job. Whatever the guy does the recruits like him.

Advertisement
picture it like this imagine a guy bragging on all the hot chicks he can pull, only it turns out he's part of an entourage for a famous athlete or entertainer, its like its kinda hard to fail when you are in that position

Nothing to explain. Saban brought the guy there for a reason. Look at all the recruits saying they want him to get the job. Whatever the guy does the recruits like him.

Bama dominated in recruiting before Mario and will dominate after he leaves. At least while Saban's there.

I specifically stated South Florida. He assisted in recruiting two of the three SoFla players on their roster. Supposedly, he's gonna "lock down" SoFla? Lulz. Not gonna happen.

By the way, how the **** did Bama get prospects before Mario? Oh yeah, Saban and Bama. It's all bull ****.

Have you seen all the recruits saying they want him to get the job? Don't know about locking it down but he might be able to clean up pretty good. I don't question the guy as a recruiter but coaching is a whole different story.

Why has nobody else at bama did it then? You said bama recruits itself but nobody else on the staff did what he did. He might not can't coach but he can recruit.

Why has nobody else contributed to getting the #1 class or those recruits in particular? I think Bama was doing pretty well before he got there.

He must be doing something right, b/c a ton of SoFL coaches love him. I love what he did for UM as a player, but his track record as a coach has shown that 1) he might be able to recruit well to a school other than Bama, and 2) he hasn't been able to develop whatever talent he pulls.

I'm don't follow recruiting all that much, so maybe you're right, but after 5 years of his guys at FIU, how many were all conference in the SunBelt?

Advertisement
Of course winning helps. Coley has been good here but he was great at fsu because they won more.

Have you seen all the recruits saying they want him to get the job? Don't know about locking it down but he might be able to clean up pretty good. I don't question the guy as a recruiter but coaching is a whole different story.

I've also seen the top 5 recruiting classes Golden put together every August. Idgaf what recruits have to say.

Advertisement

I've also seen the top 5 recruiting classes Golden put together every August. Idgaf what recruits have to say.

Golden had top classes because of quantity not quality. These are actually big recruits saying they want him to get the job.

I'm just saying the dude can recruit. There is no way saban hires the guy if he can't coach or recruit. You have to have both or at least one of those traits. He shouldn't be a hc here but i would have no problem if he came back as o-line coach or something

Go check recruiting rankings before Cristobal got there and after. Lets see if there were any significant changes.

Go check recruiting rankings before Cristobal got there and after. Lets see if there were any significant changes.

Not talking about rankings. I'm talking about individual success as a recruiter. Everybody is saying he can't recruit it's bama recruiting itself. Well why didn't any of the other assistants do what cristobal did?

Advertisement
Back