The Manny Diaz scheme and Blake Baker taking a dump on it

I don't understand ANY Coordinator or Head Coach thinking that his offense/defense is so spectacular and monolithic that it must be run forever and ever with no modifications or improvements. It's insanity.

The wishbone worked for a while. Then it didn't. Dennis Erickson brought his 1-back passing attack to Miami, but who is still running that offense the way that he did?

Contrast these self-professed genius coaches (and their BRILLIANT schemes) with coaches who emphasized a particular approach, rather than one formation on offense or defense. Guys like JJ, who brought speed and length to the defensive side of the ball, but was not locked into one specific "scheme".

At the end of the day, this is the real issue. Any O-coach can have his "playbook", but over time, everyone figures out the plays and/or the formations. Longevity is achieved through constant innovation, no matter how that is accomplished. Saban continues to bring in different coordinators, and the ongoing change keeps Alabama on top. Other coordinators/head coaches constantly tinker with their playbooks and formations, and pursue the various trends (stand-up DLs, bigger/hard-hitting safeties, etc.).

Manny needs to wake up. His defensive innovations landed him a dream job. Now he needs to do what great leaders are capable of doing, which is to try to hire people smarter/better than you to work for you. Too many head coaches have tumbled because they pridefully and mistakenly thought they could squeeze the juice from the orange indefinitely.

Move on, Manny. Hire a DC who is as hungry and aggressive as Lashlee.
Agree with everything you said except for the defensive innovations getting Diaz the job part. His dad being the ex Mayor is what got him the head coaching gig at Miami. I remember anonymous ACC school coaches( probably Jimbo, and Dabo) were clowning his scheme publicly in the media when CMR hired him before we had even played our first game.

Advertisement
Agree with everything you said except for the defensive innovations getting Diaz the job part. His dad being the ex Mayor is what got him the head coaching gig at Miami. I remember anonymous ACC school coaches( probably Jimbo, and Dabo) were clowning his scheme publicly in the media when CMR hired him before we had even played our first game.

Regardless, I'm more talking about Manny's own self-perceptions, that his defensive innovations got him the job.

We can debate Manny's defense all day and all night, but he didn't get the Miami job because of the offense. I'm really talking about how a coach can often GET a job for one reason, then he holds onto that thing for far too long.

Regardless, I'm more talking about Manny's own self-perceptions, that his defensive innovations got him the job.

We can debate Manny's defense all day and all night, but he didn't get the Miami job because of the offense. I'm really talking about how a coach can often GET a job for one reason, then he holds onto that thing for far too long.
I completely agree. I'm just pointing out that even X and Os wise he was never the answer. Most of the top coaches had already taken Diaz off their board because he was known to run a indisciplined gimmicky defense. I think we can both agree his dad being the ex Mayor in the city he was hired in had to help. I was disappointed with the Diaz hire at coordinator from the beginning

"Manny (Diaz) does a nice job defensively, but he's a total gimmick guy. He wants to try to prove to people that he's brilliant. He's got some really nice pieces, but they're too gimmicky for my taste."
Again not arguing bro just shocked that everybody even opposing coaches saw this coming but AD chose to double down and rehire this dude as head coach

Advertisement
Back