The Manny Diaz scheme and Blake Baker taking a dump on it

I agree. There also needs to be more discipline lb play. I think with better cbs we can play more press. I think they don't trust their cbs right now. We saw arguably our best corner get abused by Okie St.
We play man defense but we never play bump n run. Letting a guy like ivey playing man but not letting him put his hands on the wr will get bad results like dyami brown running right past him. Let ivey muscle up on him and I think hed be a better corner. Either way we need better corners with speed.

We need better discipline at every spot. The dline needs better lane discipline. Linebackers need better discipline on misdirection plays and playfakes. Safety needs better tackling and taking better angles.

Advertisement
Clemsons defense isn't much different than ours but they do two things we don't. The defensive line plays with better gap integrity and they play press man. Those are two things we need in our defense.
Clemson runs a ton of iowa st type d.. I guess on outside it "looks" the same but we dont do that stuff at all..

We play man defense but we never play bump n run. Letting a guy like ivey playing man but not letting him put his hands on the wr will get bad results like dyami brown running right past him. Let ivey muscle up on him and I think hed be a better corner. Either way we need better corners with speed.

We need better discipline at every spot. The dline needs better lane discipline. Linebackers need better discipline on misdirection plays and playfakes. Safety needs better tackling and taking better angles.

It seems the front 7 are being coached to rush upfield and be disruptive sometimes leading to multiple guys getting sucked into the same lane leaving wide open gaps for cutback runs and susceptibility to misdirections . NC abused us because of this. It looks like it's undisciplined but it appears they are taught that.

Clemson runs a ton of iowa st type d.. I guess on outside it "looks" the same but we dont do that stuff at all..

It seems the front 7 are being coached to rush upfield and be disruptive sometimes leading to multiple guys getting sucked into the same lane leaving wide open gaps for cutback runs and susceptibility to misdirections . NC abused us because of this. It looks like it's undisciplined but it appears they are taught that.
The defensive lines over the last few years have been like that but the 16-19 lines were still able to be more disciplined. You could even go back to the 2001 team. They were taught to get upfield but they still stayed disciplined. Then the 2002 team kinda lost that and got gashed more. When a team runs a screen we got all four guys flying up with no play recognition. There's a balance needed

The defensive lines over the last few years have been like that but the 16-19 lines were still able to be more disciplined. You could even go back to the 2001 team. They were taught to get upfield but they still stayed disciplined. Then the 2002 team kinda lost that and got gashed more. When a team runs a screen we got all four guys flying up with no play recognition. There's a balance needed

They added the inverted tampa 2 defense in 2019 and yeah we don't do that. The 4-2-5 base defense they've ran for years is what I'm talking about. They have adjusted away from that defense and been playing more of what iowa st. Runs the last two years even moreso this year

Advertisement
Stop thinking there is a difference between Baker and Diaz as the Defensive Coordinator.

Its Mannys scheme. Its his system that he has a yes-man mongoloid run for him.

ITS THE SAME. It doesn't matter who calls it.

The reason it looks worse this year is because the more talented players from the previous regimes are gone.
I disagree with you. When Pete Carroll stopped calling the defense at USC and handed play calling over to Nick Holt the defense was not the same. It was the same scheme but with a different play caller. Conicidence? No! Scheme is only as good as the play caller. I have another one: When Tom Herman left Ohio St they replaced him with OC that was so terrible that he only last a season or two. Same scheme different result.I have more

No Kyle. While your points have some merit it is not the same. Yes it is Manny's scheme but the coach who calls the defense on game day makes a huge difference. Diaz is far superior to Baker in terms of calling the defensive plays.

I'm all for moving on to a different scheme as long as we remain an aggressive defense.

I disagree with you. When Pete Carroll stopped calling the defense at USC and handed play calling over to Nick Holt the defense was not the same. It was the same scheme but with a different play caller. Conicidence? No! Scheme is only as good as the play caller. I have another one: When Tom Herman left Ohio St they replaced him with OC that was so terrible that he only last a season or two. Same scheme different result.I have more
You're not wrong but when Diaz was calling the defense we still got smoked against good teams. It just seemed better bc we were generating a lot sacks, TFLs, and especially turnovers.

Baker comes in and were still getting smoked against good teams.

The scheme sucks and the coaches suck too.

IDK if that was a coaching decision. If you remember, against OSU, Couch played very physical. He was called several times for PI. So, there's at least one guy playing physical.

IDK why Ivey doesn't play physical.

IDK if that was a coaching decision. If you remember, against OSU, Couch played very physical. He was called several times for PI. So, there's at least one guy playing physical.

True I forgot about that. Seeing coverage from a tv angle can be hard and I watched the bowl game on my phone. I'm not sure if couch was playing bump n run or was in man and got his hands on the receiver later.

Advertisement

Ivey doesn't have the speed to play like Couch.

Manny has only been a HC for 2 years. I don't know that he is locked in to yes men. Yet.

But, yes, people have to get comfortable with being uncomfortable. Manny needs to learn this quickly (and accept it) or his dream job will be gone and he'll be coaching tight ends for the Detroit Lions.
manny could never get hired as an nfl te coach. sorry, but that’s the ugly troof.

Do you ever just step back and attempt to comprehend context, sarcasm, or references?

It's an Al Golden joke.
don't be so defensive an insecure. the al golden reference was obvious. it's not the obligation of this place to respond to your posts in some way you aspire to. i happened to accept your reference to alfraud and highlighted that at least that guy could get an nfl job. diaz, nope. no need to have to explain anything on your end.

Advertisement
don't be so defensive an insecure. the al golden reference was obvious. it's not the obligation of this place to respond to your posts in some way you aspire to. i happened to accept your reference to alfraud and highlighted that at least that guy could get an nfl job. diaz, nope. no need to have to explain anything on your end.

I don't care about me, but your response was devoid of humor. Clearly, you were just trying to pad your post count with another worthless post.

I apologize, you have your agenda, and it's an admirable one.

Ivey was in a press technique on that 80 sum play. He whiffed. Ivey from what I’ve seen is better in a off technique OR against bigger bodies. He struggles against shifty guys

Saban Believes in adapt or DIE.. and its not just coach talk, he walked it by changing whole identity even when he was uncomfortable with it as a defensive type coach and went spread.. Also showed it when they got raped by OSU and sat down with Tom Herman when he was on way to texas and asked him how and why he attacked his defense that way..

Manny says I like my yes men

Bama with all its 5 stars and analysts gets demolished by good offenses.

So whatever Herman told him must have been a lie.

Advertisement
True I forgot about that. Seeing coverage from a tv angle can be hard and I watched the bowl game on my phone. I'm not sure if couch was playing bump n run or was in man and got his hands on the receiver later.
Your point is well taken. Overall, our corners play pretty passive. They really should be tought to play physical.

Also, our zone scheme is atrocious. It's so soft. It's like they've in a prevent. You look at teams like Iowa and Wisconsin. They play zone the way it shoild be played. Like a basketball game: You cover the man in your area. It's man-to-man in your area. We don't play man or zone very well which is why our secondary is mediocre on a good day.

Ivey doesn't have the speed to play like Couch.
Playing physical has nothing to do with speed. In fact, the less you have, then the more physical your CB should play. He's got to knock the receiver off his route and disrupt the timing of the play.

Playing physical has nothing to do with speed. In fact, the less you have, then the more physical your CB should play. He's got to knock the receiver off his route and disrupt the timing of the play.
Yes especially with guys like brown who have deep speed. Don't give him a free release in tight man. It just gives him the opportunity to blow right be you which he did.

Part of Manny's issues on defense is that he thinks instead of recruiting ready made LBs who already have the size to play the position at the college level,..... that he can continuously catch lightning in a bottle a grow them as our better coaches have periodically done in the past.

I'll give him credit overall for good recruiting...but his recruiting of quality LBs has consistently been subpar

Advertisement
Back