The Manny Diaz scheme and Blake Baker taking a dump on it

HurricaneHauk

Freshman
In modern college football holding opponents to 30 or less is the magic number. With a "good offense" if your defense can hold the opposing team to under 30 they've pretty much done their job.

BTW before everyone brings out those torches Manny should not be calling his own plays as HC and should bring in a veteran DC to run their own defense. My pick is Charlie Strong which is realistic enough and he has Florida recruiting ties

2016: 1
2017: 2, last two games of season
2018: 1, last game of season.

In Baker's two years as DC

2019: 1
2020: 4

In one season Baker was able give up as many 30 point games as Diaz did in 3 years as DC and this is with a comparable schedule, I'd honestly say Diaz as DC had a slightly tougher schedule.

Advertisement
Stop thinking there is a difference between Baker and Diaz as the Defensive Coordinator.

Its Mannys scheme. Its his system that he has a yes-man mongoloid run for him.

ITS THE SAME. It doesn't matter who calls it.

The reason it looks worse this year is because the more talented players from the previous regimes are gone.
It’s not the same. Manny was hella aggressive, not bend don’t break. Totally different.

Advertisement
Manny Diaz as a DC and HC has averaged 36 points a game with his defense against end of season top ten teams.

He literally has gotten pounded by good programs HIS ENTIRE CAREER. What you are seeing is the norm for him: his defense will embarrass mediocre programs, and gets lit up versus good ones. This isn’t some new thing with him it goes back even before his Texas debacle. Texas exposed him bc every single Big 12 team has an offense like UNCs is.

And Jesus Christ another moron who wants Charlie Weak????? Do you people ever learn anything new? Dude hasn’t been a commodity as DC in like a decade now.

Problem with schemes is, you have to adjust or offenses will kill you at some point.

The problem with this scheme is that it forces the front seven to dominate or else, you are screwed. In every single loss against top programs, we got manhandled up front.

If you run a front seven dependant scheme like that, you absolutely have to make sure that your fundamentals are good. Tackling has to be good, you cant run yourself out of plays, hand placement, leverage, pad level, all of this stuff has to be good. However, if you have a coaching staff that does an extremely poor job of teaching these fundamentals (really evident with your senior Amari Carter and his targeting issues), you are only able to beat weak competition when you have such an athletic advantage. Against good teams with equal athletic ability, you need to be well prepared and fundamentally sound. We arent.

Our linebackers are lost in space, because they are screwed from the get go. We cover slot receivers with safeties and think thats a solution. We have alignment issues because the slot receivers tend to have a lot of space in front of them before the snap. Our cornerbacks cant play press and dont have proper technique when it comes to defending receivers at the line of scrimmage and later, when the ball is in the air, cause they dont know how/when to turn around. We tackle with poor technique and dont wrap up properly. Every single fundamental aspect about defensive football is either getting ignored or poorly coached.

Teams play more and more man coverage to combat spread and Air Raid schemes with press coverage, because these schemes are aimed towards timing and getting the ball out quick. Eliminate the first read in college football and about 80% of the QBs get rattled.

And the way how we play call just blows my mind. Everyone in college football knows that Sam Howell is really good at throwing the deep ball towards Newsome and Brown, because both of these guys can fly. We dont press them, instead, we put Ivey, who isnt really fast, in 1vs1 situations twice against Brown. If you face fast wide receivers with great long speed, you have to get physical with them or they will blow right by you. And dont get me into that one play call on 3rd and 8, when we went with a pass rush alignment at the end of the 3rd quarter when the score was 41-18 (the one where Roche was singled up on one side and the rest aligned on the other). Spread offenses were created to spread a defense (duh). Our defense isnt getting spread because of the offense, they are getting spread because of their own schemes. The gaps in this defense are so big, caneinorlando could build two of his houses in there.

Here is a link for the 2002 Ohio State Defense Playbook: https://www.footballxos.com/downloa.../?wpdmdl=4910&refresh=5fd88a3dc00281608026685 This playbook is easy to get, yet has enough information so that everyone understands their assignment. I am dead certain that our playbook doesnt even have half of the information.

I'd say this is slowly changing as things become more skewed towards higher scoring games, but that's me.

I'd love to have Charlie Strong as DC, but I think it wouldn't happen in a million years because Strong is an alpha coach. I think Diaz would be intimidated by him. On CIS several weeks ago, several posters commented that on the sideline during the game, Lashlee looked like the HC and Diaz looked like the assistant. I think the same thing would happen 10 fold if Strong was the DC.

Advertisement
Manny Diaz as a DC and HC has averaged 36 points a game with his defense against end of season top ten teams.

He literally has gotten pounded by good programs HIS ENTIRE CAREER. What you are seeing is the norm for him: his defense will embarrass mediocre programs, and gets lit up versus good ones. This isn’t some new thing with him it goes back even before his Texas debacle. Texas exposed him bc every single Big 12 team has an offense like UNCs is.

And Jesus Christ another moron who wants Charlie Weak????? Do you people ever learn anything new? Dude hasn’t been a commodity as DC in like a decade now.

Now do Clemson, Bama, LSU and Ohio State vs Top 10 teams the last 3 years.

Scrap this Mickey Mouse defense and bring in someone reputable? Diaz is a very well regarded Defensive mind. The fact is Mack Brown is very familiar with Manny's defenseive scheme. In Manny's scheme the LB's are taught to run to daylight rather than just run gaps. The thought process is the opposing RB is doing the same and will be met in the hole. NC ran counters and the immature Miami LB's were unable to adjust to the counter plays and were caught out of position on the cut back. NC's talented duo of RB's executed the plan to perfection and broke tackles in the secondary gashing our defense.
Changes I think Miami's defensive coaching staff will see are Rumph out, Banda out, and Diaz calling the defense instead of Baker. Unfortunately, DL Coach Stroud make move to a less active role due to health reasons and a new DL coach will be hired.

Problem with schemes is, you have to adjust or offenses will kill you at some point.

The problem with this scheme is that it forces the front seven to dominate or else, you are screwed. In every single loss against top programs, we got manhandled up front.

If you run a front seven dependant scheme like that, you absolutely have to make sure that your fundamentals are good. Tackling has to be good, you cant run yourself out of plays, hand placement, leverage, pad level, all of this stuff has to be good. However, if you have a coaching staff that does an extremely poor job of teaching these fundamentals (really evident with your senior Amari Carter and his targeting issues), you are only able to beat weak competition when you have such an athletic advantage. Against good teams with equal athletic ability, you need to be well prepared and fundamentally sound. We arent.

Our linebackers are lost in space, because they are screwed from the get go. We cover slot receivers with safeties and think thats a solution. We have alignment issues because the slot receivers tend to have a lot of space in front of them before the snap. Our cornerbacks cant play press and dont have proper technique when it comes to defending receivers at the line of scrimmage and later, when the ball is in the air, cause they dont know how/when to turn around. We tackle with poor technique and dont wrap up properly. Every single fundamental aspect about defensive football is either getting ignored or poorly coached.

Teams play more and more man coverage to combat spread and Air Raid schemes with press coverage, because these schemes are aimed towards timing and getting the ball out quick. Eliminate the first read in college football and about 80% of the QBs get rattled.

And the way how we play call just blows my mind. Everyone in college football knows that Sam Howell is really good at throwing the deep ball towards Newsome and Brown, because both of these guys can fly. We dont press them, instead, we put Ivey, who isnt really fast, in 1vs1 situations twice against Brown. If you face fast wide receivers with great long speed, you have to get physical with them or they will blow right by you. And dont get me into that one play call on 3rd and 8, when we went with a pass rush alignment at the end of the 3rd quarter when the score was 41-18 (the one where Roche was singled up on one side and the rest aligned on the other). Spread offenses were created to spread a defense (duh). Our defense isnt getting spread because of the offense, they are getting spread because of their own schemes. The gaps in this defense are so big, caneinorlando could build two of his houses in there.

Here is a link for the 2002 Ohio State Defense Playbook: https://www.footballxos.com/downloa.../?wpdmdl=4910&refresh=5fd88a3dc00281608026685 This playbook is easy to get, yet has enough information so that everyone understands their assignment. I am dead certain that our playbook doesnt even have half of the information.
I concur

In modern college football holding opponents to 30 or less is the magic number. With a "good offense" if your defense can hold the opposing team to under 30 they've pretty much done their job.

BTW before everyone brings out those torches Manny should not be calling his own plays as HC and should bring in a veteran DC to run their own defense. My pick is Charlie Strong which is realistic enough and he has Florida recruiting ties

2016: 1
2017: 2, last two games of season
2018: 1, last game of season.

In Baker's two years as DC

2019: 1
2020: 4

In one season Baker was able give up as many 30 point games as Diaz did in 3 years as DC and this is with a comparable schedule, I'd honestly say Diaz as DC had a slightly tougher schedule.

These arguments needs to be balanced:

It’s not all about Baker

We mainly lack the players to be dominant....

Best proof is Rousseau, Phillips and Roche— you throw some high caliber players in and you INSTANTLY have dominance at a couple positions.

imagine if our ENTIRE D was made of guys like those? you think it would matter much if Baker was DC?

Advertisement
Idk sht so I’ll add my 2 worthless cents.
This defense of Manny’s is made for qb disruption correct?
It only really works well with a dominant 3 tech that Fcks up the qb’s timing. Until he changes it or gets a dude that can consistently get to the qb he should not be running these fcked up blitz packages. Everyone running after the qb but not getting there is leaving dudes 5-10 yards out wide open and the backers way out of position.

Advertisement
Stop thinking there is a difference between Baker and Diaz as the Defensive Coordinator.

Its Mannys scheme. Its his system that he has a yes-man mongoloid run for him.

ITS THE SAME. It doesn't matter who calls it.

The reason it looks worse this year is because the more talented players from the previous regimes are gone.
Facts I been saying this forever. Once he lost pressure up the middle with RJ Norton and Willis the scheme is trash. Nesta is a dog but when the other team has decent guys he is easily block able and then the running lanes r huge. I think team were able to take big chunk yards even when RJ etc was here. It's always given up big chunk yards in the middle. We need dogs there that's the difference....the elites have monster OL and DL on top of athletes everywhere else.

Everyone wants to throw out defensive stats as a whole.Take out the games against the FAMU,Bethune Cookman,App. st,FAU etc and then tell me how great this defense is...

we suck against ANY team that has talent close to ours and decent coaching.

‘if Manny doesn’t allow a DC to come in with his people,their scheme and leave him alone all the shuffling,firing,recruiting in the world ain’t changing sHT on that defense against any team with a pulse.

Advertisement
Back